Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Do you use an IPS display for your desktop ?

I was wondering what everyone use to read on their Desktop ?
Is there a recommended screen that can pivot and be nice for home PDF reading ?
How are those new e-IPS screens that range from 150-250$ in various stores ?
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
I don't know of anyone who doesn't have an LED/LCD display, CRT displays have been gone for a decade or more and AH-IPS (a couple of years later than e-IPS) is the current standard among the less expensive LCD matrices. As for pivoting, you can buy a rotatable mount for any screen with a standard 100mm VESA wall mount back. They retail here for about au$40-50 and once fitted you can rotate the screen to any angle. To buy one already set up for rotation usually costs a lot more than the extra $40-50. See:

http://www.shopwiki.com.au/l/vesa-monitor-stand
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
very nice ! Thanks !
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
I don't know of anyone who doesn't have an LED/LCD display, CRT displays have been gone for a decade or more and AH-IPS (a couple of years later than e-IPS) is the current standard among the less expensive LCD matrices. As for pivoting, you can buy a rotatable mount for any screen with a standard 100mm VESA wall mount back. They retail here for about au$40-50 and once fitted you can rotate the screen to any angle. To buy one already set up for rotation usually costs a lot more than the extra $40-50. See:

http://www.shopwiki.com.au/l/vesa-monitor-stand
Thankfully the CRTs have a long life cycle. My Sony Trinitron is going on 13 years now. The only problem is that it is 19" which was large when I got it, but now is on the small size. Plus the thing has to have a shored up stand to hold the weight.
I have lost the brightness button now. Just broke off. I have always kept it about 50% but on some dark sites that isn't really enough. I have only the contrast to play with. On the other issue, it isn't IPS with the viewing angles, but it is pretty close.
I have friends and relatives that still have CRTs. Most only changed because they had smaller screens like 17" or less, and when the LCDs got so large and so cheap they changed. If I had a 15 or 17" screen I would have changed myself even though it works fine except for that button.

I have another LCD that is 22-23 inches, also not IPS.

My next monitor will be 26" or more.

More is well, just more, and size counts.

As for IPS in general, the only time I notice a viewing angle problem is when try to look at my lady friends Toshiba laptop while standing up or while sitting down to the side. Well in fact if I sit down directly in front of it, I may adjust the screen angle just like I adjust the mirrors in her car. I am bigger. I may invest in IPS or something close to it on the next screens I get.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I don't really use my desktop monitor for leisure reading (apart from the occasional fanfic), but I've had the Eizo FlexScan S2231W for a few years now and it's served me very well as far as work goes - haven't had a single technical or quality issue with it.

It's not IPS, I think (I think it's S-PVA), and it certainly wasn't cheap, though.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
I don't know of anyone who doesn't have an LED/LCD display, CRT displays have been gone for a decade or more and AH-IPS (a couple of years later than e-IPS) is the current standard among the less expensive LCD matrices.
No, that's still TN though IPS Display have become very affordable in the last couple of years or so.

To answer the question in the OP, yes I do have an IPS display and I wouldn't want to miss it.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
What's an IPS display?

I don't read on my computer, except forums... The monitor can be awesome, but the reading position is horrible.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
S-PVA for my main desktop. IPS for my laptop. Rest are TN crap...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
SPVA, but my tv is an IPS.

The spva panels tend to have the best contrast by far, but are not as responsive as IPS panels. Also spva panels can visibly discolor off-axis, IPS panels tend to just dim when viewed off axis. IPS panels also have less lag as compared to SPVA.

TN panels tend to not be laggy, but have terrible contrast, and off-axis performance.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
No, that's still TN though IPS Display have become very affordable in the last couple of years or so.
Not according to the product description and the specifications in the user manual that comes with them. We bought twenty of the twenty-seven inch versions late last year. I am using one now.

Everything is pretty much more expensive in Australia, but screens, TV or monitor are for some reason very low cost. Maybe it is because of our trade with China. You can buy a twenty-four inch IPS here for under au$120 if you look around.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote