Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #121
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Thankfully, the Delaware Public Library has not gone to the new version yet. Based on the comments in this thread, I am not looking forward to the switch.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #122
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Thankfully, the Delaware Public Library has not gone to the new version yet. Based on the comments in this thread, I am not looking forward to the switch.
Neither has FLoP yet. Maybe they wont. They have such a integrated site with more than overdrive stuff.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #123
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
It's not a one-step check out, though.

Step 1 - Click on 'Borrow'
Step 2 - Choose format (WMA, mp3/epub, Kindle, etc.)
Step 3 - Confirm format
Step 4 - Download

Old way:

Step 1 - Add to Cart
Step 2 - Proceed to Checkout
Step 3 - Confirm Checkout
Step 4 - Download

Note that 'Choose format' is not an optional step even if there is only one format available so the number of steps to check out a book remains the same under both the new and supposedly improved version and the old (and IMHO, better) version.

Unless I'm missing something. Which is entirely possible
This is true! It just makes everything more confusing with putting it all on the bookshelf.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #124
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Maybe OverDrive just wanted to eliminate the 30-minute grace period that was afforded by the 'Add to Cart' step in the old design?

It was a nice feature in that it gave us time to continue browsing for additional titles or even just to see what other titles were available. And, as you point out, by having it on the toolbar, it was always one-click accessible.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #125
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Maybe OverDrive just wanted to eliminate the 30-minute grace period that was afforded by the 'Add to Cart' step in the old design?

It was a nice feature in that it gave us time to continue browsing for additional titles or even just to see what other titles were available. And, as you point out, by having it on the toolbar, it was always one-click accessible.
My library was 60 minutes. I'd forgotten all about that feature.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #126
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmmm. If it's still there, it's well hidden because there's no mention of it throughout the checkout process.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #127
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Hmmmm. If it's still there, it's well hidden because there's no mention of it throughout the checkout process.
No I think now once you add a book to your bookshelf it's yours even if you don't download it. Is it me or are the covers on the bookshelf way too big?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #128
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Mike@Overdrive, so glad to see you found your way to this forum!! Take advantage of the polling functionality -we'll be glad to help enhance the user interface, and with it, the user experience.

A few more suggestions in addition to what was already mentioned (and I agree with all of them) and acknowledged by you:
- Let users switch between classic view and new view
- Let users check out things that are deemed as "incompatible with your device". I would like to be able to borrow Kindle books from my iPod Touch, then send them to my Kindle, the way I can do it from my iPad.
- Make navigation touch friendly: make forward/back arrows larger or spell out next/previous
- Let users return WMAs early (that may be a MS limitation, though?)

Also, Mike, why are there so many recent books that are only offerend as ePubs, and not also as Kindle ebooks?

One more, Mike: Why is sorting by "added to site" not working on the Ocean State eZone site?

Last edited by xendula; 12-14-2012 at 06:44 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #129
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No I think now once you add a book to your bookshelf it's yours even if you don't download it. Is it me or are the covers on the bookshelf way too big?
Too big!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #130
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I think you may be right. Either that or if you choose to continue browsing without confirming the checkout, the book goes back into circulation (confirming the grace period has been eliminated in the new design). I'll have to test it with my next checkout.

And, Yes! the covers are too big (and sometimes so blurry I can't read them anyway).
Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #131
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Unintentionally borrowing books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@OverDrive View Post
If a user unintentionally borrows a title, there’s an option on the Bookshelf page to return the borrowed title to the library’s collection. If a user unintentionally downloads a title, in most cases, they have the option to return the title from the respective software.
I once borrowed a book that was a reissue with a new cover. When I opened it, I realized right away I'd already read it and returned it the same day.

My account was locked for 3 days for "suspicious activity". (There's at least one thread here about this - I'm not the only person this has happened to).

So I'd be afraid to immediately return something if I ordered it by mistake.

Also, doesn't the library incur a small charge for every borrowed book? Or is only when the file is actually downloaded? I'd hate for this to cause a lot of additional charges to already cash-strapped libraries.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #132
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I do feel for the Brooklyn Library. 4 emails from me alone about a big messup with books and they even admitted fault. They are so polite and courteous though and respond to emails the next day.

I just don't understand this 'upgrade' by Overdrive which at this stage seems to cause so much trouble for all concerned - the libraries and of course the borrowers.

While it's heartening to see that Overdrive is reading the relevant threads, I would really love to hear from Mike @ Overdrive the rationale behind all this, and who is it supposed to benefit. I think the suggestion earlier of the choice of a Classic view is excellent.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #133
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
I think you may be right. Either that or if you choose to continue browsing without confirming the checkout, the book goes back into circulation (confirming the grace period has been eliminated in the new design). I'll have to test it with my next checkout.
So, I tested this tonight by checking out a book and leaving it on my 'Bookshelf' for exactly one hour while I browsed other titles. I then clicked on the 'Remove' button and the book disappeared (I purposely chose a book with multiple copies available so that it would still be available to other patrons).

I then checked out another title to test FizzyWater's lockout theory (it's happened to me in the past) and had no problem.

From this, I guess we can conclude that although the 'Add to Cart' feature has been done away with, there's no time limit placed on Bookshelf books that are not yet downloaded. And although it's convenient, I can see the potential for problems down the road.

There appears to be a major glitch with the book covers at BPL, though. They now cover my entire screen and I'm on a 17" laptop!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #134
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have to wonder if this is being rolled out with the expectation that there will be all kinds of tablets given as gifts this Christmas.

But jeez, did they do any kind of usability studies before they rolled it out?! It's really as if the users of these big libraries are basically being forced to be Overdrive's beta testers. I hope they're giving the libraries a discount on books to pay for the headaches.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #135
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I have to wonder if this is being rolled out with the expectation that there will be all kinds of tablets given as gifts this Christmas.

But jeez, did they do any kind of usability studies before they rolled it out?! It's really as if the users of these big libraries are basically being forced to be Overdrive's beta testers. I hope they're giving the libraries a discount on books to pay for the headaches.
I don't know, but the browsing experience even on my iPad 3 is pretty bad, since I can't even read the book titles, which is really the point, so I can only imagine what browsing on a lower resolution tablet would be like.
The idea to give Brooklyn a discount for all the headache is great. I have emailed them about this as well, so I imagine the redesign is keeping them beyond busy.