Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Mikeu48
Mikeu48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite e-book
Custom wallpaper For Paperwhite 5.2.0

I just received my PW without ads and want to replace the stock wallpaper/screensaver with my pics. Need help plz. Can someone give me step by step as to how to do this. I GREATLY appreciate any help I can get......

After tons of reading I installed the kindle-jailbreak-1.4.N as instructed in the read me file. Confirmed on re-start the the PW is jailbroken.....NOW
Just need directions for installing new screensavers.....

Last edited by Mikeu48; 10-08-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: update
Mikeu48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
willis291
willis291 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi there! I actually have some similar questions. There seems to be a dearth of information about the existence of a custom screensaver/wallpaper hack for the Kindle Paperwhite. I'm assuming that this means there is not a screensaver/wallpaper hack available for the PW right now, but, just so there is a definite answer from those "in the know:"

Could someone either confirm or deny the existence of a Paperwhite custom screensaver/wallpaper hack?

Also, if it does not exist yet, is anyone working on it? (Not trying to be pushy, just curious)

Many thanks!
willis291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
None yet.

Look at the number of posts and views listed for the "fonts and screen savers" thread.
Those numbers should answer the questions of "Will there be one?".

There are not more than four or five of the active developers here that have a Kpw to work with.
That will change once Amazon gets their problems worked out that are delaying Kindle shipments.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
willis291
willis291 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Ah, yes, that makes sense. I had forgotten about the shipping delays. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
willis291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
For the time being I've replaced the default screensavers in /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/ manually, works fine.

The files must be in .png format, 758x1024 in size, and follow the naming convention of 'bg_medium_ss00.png', 'bg_medium_ss01.png', and so on.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Have you tried adding extra images to that folder? Rather than replacing them. IF it's like the touch (with Simple screensaver hack) which the naming appears to be. Then they have to be sequential but it may well pick up the extra ones without needing any hack.

I'll be trying that in 6 days when mine arrives if all goes as it should.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
Have you tried adding extra images to that folder? Rather than replacing them. IF it's like the touch (with Simple screensaver hack) which the naming appears to be. Then they have to be sequential but it may well pick up the extra ones without needing any hack.

I'll be trying that in 6 days when mine arrives if all goes as it should.
I've backed up the original /screensaver folder and uploaded the new one with my custom stuff, just because it was an easier workflow. I think simple adding would work just fine.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello ecksor,

So it's seeing all the custom screensavers?
That is excellent news.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
ecksor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hello ecksor,

So it's seeing all the custom screensavers?
That is excellent news.
Yep, all my images got picked up.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
So it looks as though the simple screensaver hack will work with almost no modification. All it needs to do is drop the start-up script that executes
mount --bind /mnt/us/screensaver /usr/share/blanket/screensaver
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Akirainblack
abibliophobic

Please forgive my stupidity. If the Paperwhite is already displaying images added to the directory then why do we need to hack the Kindle? It's already doing what we want it to.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Please forgive my stupidity. If the Paperwhite is already displaying images added to the directory then why do we need to hack the Kindle? It's already doing what we want it to.
Because without modification, you do not have access to that directory.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Akirainblack
abibliophobic

Ah, right I didn't know ecksor had made further changes to his kindle.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
ecksor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, right I didn't know ecksor had made further changes to his kindle.
To clarify: I needed jailbreak and USB network to access the /screensaver directory. The rest is just manual file editing.

Normally you wouldn't want the end user messing with the filesystem, or the end user herself has better things to do than learning the shell. Modifications take care of that providing GUI installers.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'll probably end up repacking simple_ss or porting ss, it's just not at the top of my TODO list right now .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-20-2012 at 04:14 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote