Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #121
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My books still immediately show up when I purchase and deliver to K4PC (the latest version). I don't have to do any special hoop-jumping or restarting to get the new books to show up like they always have. I don't say this to be all "neener, neener" but rather as proof positive that the behavior being described here isn't universal. I have no idea why it doesn't behave normally for everyone, but it can, in fact, still work normally. All we have to do is figure out why it won't.

My money is still on lingering pieces of older installs (registry, AppData) and/or Antivirus/spyware/firewall interference.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-21-2012 at 01:36 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #122
jswinden
Nameless Being

Some of the issues might have to do with the multiple updates to the program. If K4PC was installed way back when and has been updated several times, perhaps a complete uninstall followed by a new install will clean up some of the accumulated software debris that is so notorious with Windows installations. It certainly can't hurt.
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #123
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Mine has done that for the last few versions on a couple of different PC's.
Mine has always done this. I've gone through a few hard drives in the past two years so it's not due installing updates over each other. It's just how the program works.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #124
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Some of the issues might have to do with the multiple updates to the program. If K4PC was installed way back when and has been updated several times, perhaps a complete uninstall followed by a new install will clean up some of the accumulated software debris that is so notorious with Windows installations. It certainly can't hurt.
Many people seem to have tried that without much luck (from what I've read), but that's not really surprising considering the number of times that the app has changed where it stores files on the system. The latest uninstall provided probably just doesn't have provisions to remove pieces of older installations in other locations/under slightly different names.

To be honest—(AND THIS IS BY NO MEANS A FORMAL RECOMMENDATION; DON'T TRY IT AND THEN BLAME ME WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG!!)—I'd deregister the Kindle app, from within the app itself (Tools/Options/Registration), then I'd go to my Amazon account online and make sure the app was deregistered there as well (deregistering it again there if necessary). Then I'd uninstall the Kindle app from my PC normally. Then I'd delete the "Amazon" folder under /USER/AppData/Local/ (I may have to enable "Show hidden files and folders" in my advanced folder options to see that folder). Then I'd use a registry editor (regedit) to delete the "Amazon" key/folder under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software (all the while remaining sufficiently terrified that I wasn't screwing up badly). Then I'd reboot my machine and install the latest downloaded version of the Kindle App from Amazon... register it and start from scratch.

**IF** I was adventurous and at least somewhat comfortable performing such tasks, that is.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #125
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Many people seem to have tried that without much luck (from what I've read), but that's not really surprising considering the number of times that the app has changed where it stores files on the system. The latest uninstall provided probably just doesn't have provisions to remove pieces of older installations in other locations/under slightly different names.

To be honest—(AND THIS IS BY NO MEANS A FORMAL RECOMMENDATION; DON'T TRY IT AND THEN BLAME ME WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG!!)—I'd deregister the Kindle app, from within the app itself (Tools/Options/Registration), then I'd go to my Amazon account online and make sure the app was deregistered there as well (deregistering it again there if necessary). Then I'd uninstall the Kindle app from my PC normally. Then I'd delete the "Amazon" folder under /USER/AppData/Local/ (I may have to enable "Show hidden files and folders" in my advanced folder options to see that folder). Then I'd use a registry editor (regedit) to delete the "Amazon" key/folder under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software (all the while remaining sufficiently terrified that I wasn't screwing up badly). Then I'd reboot my machine and install the latest downloaded version of the Kindle App from Amazon... register it and start from scratch.

**IF** I was adventurous and at least somewhat comfortable performing such tasks, that is.
Good idea, but be sure and Sync first so that you don't lose any highlights, notes, bookmarks, etc.

I'm one of the lucky ones and neither of my PCs (desktop and laptop) have the magically disappearing downloaded books.
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #126
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Quote:

I did all this except the registry editor (too scary for me) with one of the kindle customer service experts (the people you get transferred to when basic customer service is clueless) talking me through it all on the phone. we thought we deleted all the appdata/local/...but even he may not have known where all the previous edition pieces might be lurking. afterward, still have the no-show files issue.

at this point, it's behavior that I'm willing to live with until I update to a newer computer or replace memory and re-load the os on this one. or until I get frustrated enough to go through the whole de-register, uninstall.... process again.

I'm on windows 7 64bit if that might be a common element.

Thanks for the various ideas on trying to resolve this issue that some of us have.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #127
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post

I'm on windows 7 64bit if that might be a common element.

Thanks for the various ideas on trying to resolve this issue that some of us have.
Vista 64 is my O/S. So maybe it's a 64 bit thing.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #128
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Vista 64 is my O/S. So maybe it's a 64 bit thing.
Afraid not - it happens on my 32 bit XP
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #129
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Afraid not - it happens on my 32 bit XP
Ah well there goes that theory ten. It's just the design of the program. I know to after it syncs to close and reopen before doing anything else.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #130
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Prior to the enforced upgrade, I was running an extremely old version of K4PC - and never had this happen - until I was forcibly upgraded to the current version.
IIRC it started for me with version 1.8.3 or something like that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #131
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
IIRC it started for me with version 1.8.3 or something like that.
I clung to version 1.5.1 for as long as I could.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #132
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

My money is still on lingering pieces of older installs (registry, AppData) and/or Antivirus/spyware/firewall interference.
if it were AV/firewall, then the unregister+re-register solution would not work, surely ?
I've also thoroughly purged app data & registry in the past, using revo uninstaller

are any of your books .azw3 format?
my current theory, based on my free book "buying" is that it is only those in the new .azw3 format which go AWOL. If not that, then it is a timeout thing: new books arrive OK for x days / weeks after reregistering, then start getting lost again.

PS I never had any issues until the older K4PC versions stopped working & I was forced to update

If amazon did proper tech support, with ticket numbers etc, I'd keep on their case about this, but I'm fed up of explaining it from scratch to each new clueless rep.

can you try "the Donor" - the current #1 in free fiction bestsellers list - that is the last one which failed for me . It is a .AZW3 file
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #133
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
Hmmm ... sounds like a bug, er I mean "feature."

My older version of K4PC didn't do that (haven't tried the new "improved" version yet). It seems silly to me that one has to go through an open/restart routine to access new content.
I thought that all the older versions stopped working on some arbitrary date earlier this year, forcing us to update. I had to ditch my trusty vintage 1.5 version.
what version number do you have that still works & does anyone know where to find a copy - as I'd love the chance to roll back to a "better" version
Old 09-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #134
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
21st July, to be exact.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #135
cybmole
Wizard

last few versions & dates: below - but I do not know which ones have now been nuked by amazon & no longer run:
http://www.snapfiles.com/apphistory/...c_history.html
This page shows you how often Kindle for PC has been updated with us over the past few months. We also try to include additional information for each update (new features, changes etc.), however this information may not always be available.

Jul 10, 2012 v1.10.1

Apr 09, 2012 v1.9.3

Mar 20, 2012 v1.9.2

Feb 22, 2012 v1.9.0.38364

Dec 16, 2011 v1.8.3.36179

Dec 09, 2011 v1.8.2.36173

downloads available here:
[Mods: Sorry, Amazon software is copyright and they don't allow redistribution. Therefore, MobileRead does not allow direct links to any sites that do so.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-23-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: can't link to unauthorised copyright software