Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Joyce Bennett
Joyce Bennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader prs500
Thumbs down Sony Connect Store

Having brought a Sony reader 500 to France I find it impossable to get books from Connect as they require a [B]USA credit card[/B]. This I do not understand as it is supposed to be an International company.
Purchased .pdf files will not load if encripted. This makes the item a bit useless unless on gets out of copyright books!!
How does the contributer in Switzerland get his books?
Joyce Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Those of us outside the US who wish to purchase books from the connect store, buy gift cards from kindly members on this board. That way you don't need a US credit card.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, Joyce Bennett. I'm sorry you didn't find us soon enough to realize the situation with Sony Readers and international distribution.

The crux of the matter is that Sony doesn't seem to have rights for international distribution of the books at the present.

Purchased, encrypted PDFs are a different matter, since there's no way to enter anything into the Reader, you can't put in the password to unlock them. Even if you could, you'd probably not like the results if the file is layed out as an A4 page. The Reader's screen is only about 41% the size of an A4, so pages scaled down to that size are ... rather difficult to read. When a PDF is sized to the Reader's screen, it's okay, but not the A4 ones.

As far as spoofing the Connect Store, there are a few folks around M.R. who are willing to buy Gift Certificates on behalf of our, ahem, "geographically challenged" fellows, and generally accept payment via PayPal. If you run a search for Gift Certificates, that should turn the postings up for you. I think Leaping Gnome has done this in the past, and I believe there are others, but their names escape me at the moment.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Welcome to the forum Joyce! fury and Natch are right. I've done gift code exchanges for over 20 members here, just shoot me a PM if you want to do this via paypal and I'll happy arrange it.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote