Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
You have to venture quite a ways down the page, and away from the area he sent you to, before a FAQ item about collections pops up (this is not pertinent to your question.) I guess the problem you and other new folks to the Kindle Fire run into is not knowing that you have purchased an android tablet.

Good Reading.
This is pertinent to my question. The page from the developers website states:

"Amazon have removed the ability to manipulate collections completely in their newer models, like the Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire, making even the above plugin useless. If you really want the ability to manage collections on your Kindle via a USB connection, we encourage you to complain to Amazon about it, or get a reader where this is supported, like the SONY Readers."

Which confuses me even more because it makes me interpret this statement that I can't use my Kindle via a USB to access my Calibre library on any new Kindle. To me collections is a feature of the Kindle that I hardly use, as I call my Calibre my Library. Which is which? Perhaps Calibre has a "Collections" feature, but I don't use it.

This is cryptic to me because Kindle Fire HD was not spelled out as an android on his website, not everyone knows that it is. Also the above mentioned paragraph is very confusing to me. Since Calibre doesn't see my KFHD when USB plugged in, this means to me that Kindle Touch or any new Kindle will be the same, not detected when plugged into USB to Calibre. Yikes!

See why I am confused?

Since I have ordered a Kindle PW and have a Kindle Fire HD, this is an issue for me.

Too much information overload for me.

Last edited by new; 10-24-2012 at 11:42 PM.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
This is pertinent to my question. The page from the developers website states:

"Amazon have removed the ability to manipulate collections completely in their newer models, like the Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire, making even the above plugin useless. If you really want the ability to manage collections on your Kindle via a USB connection, we encourage you to complain to Amazon about it, or get a reader where this is supported, like the SONY Readers."
Your question was:

Quote:
Calibre recognizes my Kindle DX, and Kindle Keyboard, but it does not recognize my Kindle Fire HD. Help please.
Kovid sent you to the specific FAQ that covers this question. What you are referring to above is outside of what you asked and outside of the FAQ link you were pointed to. You may find it interesting and want to know more but it is not pertinent your initial question of calibre does not recognize my device.

Quote:
Which confuses me even more because it makes me interpret this statement that I can't use my Kindle via a USB to access my Calibre library on any new Kindle.
As it exists now, with a OSX machine you will not be able to connect to your Kindle Fire HD via a USB cable. This is written out in the section of the FAQ you were directed to.

Quote:
This is cryptic to me because Kindle Fire HD was not spelled out as an android on his website, not everyone knows that it is.
For whatever reason Amazon does not advertise that their tablet is in fact an android tablet. I agree it might help if it was added to the FAQ question for clarification.

Quote:
Also the above mentioned paragraph is very confusing to me. Since Calibre doesn't see my KFHD when USB plugged in, this means to me that Kindle Touch or any new Kindle will be the same, not detected when plugged into USB to Calibre. Yikes!
Assuming because one device does x then all the rest must also do x is something that I can't help you with.

Quote:
See why I am confused?
I see why you are confused. But you did ask a question then spin off into a totally unrelated area, I can see how you got there, but it is a new area non the less. Using anything for the first time can be confusing, more so if you by a device that is as closed off as the Kindle Fire HD.

I'm not a Kindle Fire HD owner, but the way I see it you have two ways to get books to your device. One is to use the calibre content server, described in the previously linked FAQ. Two is to use calibre's email feature to email the books to your device.

Good luck and if you have further questions about the Paperwhite or collections please address these in different threads.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Your question was:

Kovid sent you to the specific FAQ that covers this question. What you are referring to above is outside of what you asked and outside of the FAQ link you were pointed to. You may find it interesting and want to know more but it is not pertinent your initial question of calibre does not recognize my device.

As it exists now, with a OSX machine you will not be able to connect to your Kindle Fire HD via a USB cable. This is written out in the section of the FAQ you were directed to.

For whatever reason Amazon does not advertise that their tablet is in fact an android tablet. I agree it might help if it was added to the FAQ question for clarification.

Assuming because one device does x then all the rest must also do x is something that I can't help you with.

I see why you are confused. But you did ask a question then spin off into a totally unrelated area, I can see how you got there, but it is a new area non the less. Using anything for the first time can be confusing, more so if you by a device that is as closed off as the Kindle Fire HD.

I'm not a Kindle Fire HD owner, but the way I see it you have two ways to get books to your device. One is to use the calibre content server, described in the previously linked FAQ. Two is to use calibre's email feature to email the books to your device.

Good luck and if you have further questions about the Paperwhite or collections please address these in different threads.
You know I didn't spin off as you say, I read what the developer linked to. It went on and on..... I asked a question from what I read there, same link.

There is no need to be snippy. Don't answer my posts anymore.

new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
You know I didn't spin off as you say, I read what the developer linked to. It went on and on..... I asked a question from what I read there, same link.

Please Leave, We don't need your rude behavior.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #20
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can understand your confusion. You were linked to one section of the FAQ and kept reading through 5 other sections until you got to the section that confused you. FYI the section linked to ends where the next section begins. In this case the next section is titled "Can I access my calibre books using the web browser in my Kindle or other reading device?"

For what it is worth the FAQ section has been changed to specifically name the Kindle Fire HD in the title of that section.

Quote:
I'll answer any posts I desire. However Mobileread does make it simple for you to ignore anyone. Simply click on the link of my username next to this post and select Add DoctorOhh to Your Ignore List. This will allow you never to see a post of mine again.

Quote:
You're Welcome.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-26-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Actually, when I click on that link it doesn't go to the Android section - it just goes to the top of the general FAQ page. I have to scroll down to the Android section - not sure why since the link looks like it should go there.

At any rate, I'm on a Mac too - and happily am able to successfully connect wirelessly to my Calibre Library (which is on a Mac laptop) from my Fire HD. It's great for downloading ePubs to Aldiko and .mobi files for the Kindle app. It's not a great solution for importing lots of books at once, and unfortunately it looks like that's what the OP may want to do, but I don't import lots of books to my Fire anyway - just the book I'm reading and the next couple I might want to read. The ePub/Aldiko solution is a bit simpler than .mobi files, and I prefer Aldiko as a reading app, so it works for me. But of course that's a YMMV situation.

To "New" (if you're still here) - I understand some of your confusion if the link worked for you the way it worked for me. When they refer to the Collections feature & Calibre, though, they're talking about a plug-in for Calibre that worked with older Kindles to create Collections that would work on the Kindle - making it easier to create and manipulate Collections because you could do it on the computer rather than on the Kindle. Starting with the Touch, I believe, that plug-in doesn't work any more. It isn't related to the business of Androids & Macs connecting or not - it's an Amazon/Calibre thing. So if you haven't been using that plug-in, it isn't something you need to worry about.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think the reason the link does not work is that the page has been edited since the original link was posted and the links have changed.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
Actually, when I click on that link it doesn't go to the Android section - it just goes to the top of the general FAQ page. I have to scroll down to the Android section - not sure why since the link looks like it should go there.
That is because you are late to the discussion and the link has been changed to reduce confusion by adding "or Kindle Fire HD?" to the section title so folks that have a Kindle Fire HD but don't know it is an Android tablet will be less confused.

Thanks for providing your experience to this poster, I'm sure your shared experience will be of help.

Good Reading.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #24
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5, Fire HD 10, Sony PRS-T1
I was having the same problem, and came across this thread. I know it's a couple of months old, but maybe this can help someone.

My Mac wouldn't mount my Kindle Fire HD, so I searched and found this Amazon support page:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...=201008260#usb

This will lead you to download an Android app at:

http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

The file transfer utility will let you move files to and from the KF. It still won't let Calibre see the device, but at least I can drag/drop books to it.

Tried to install the Calibre Companion app, but Amazon says it's not compatible with the KFHD... Have yet to try the Calibre server.

Hope this helps!
ludovicus is offline   Reply With Quote