Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
So What's Your Favorite Musical?

Maybe Oh-Calcutta? Jesus Christ Superstar? Sound of Music?

and any special reason why?

Made an impression on you as a kid? You were in a production? or ??
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Oh, I've been in a few... but not in my favourite stage musical, probably little known in the US: The Hired Man, book by Melvyn Bragg, music and lyrics by Howard Goodall.

Why? Real passion, wonderful music, great original production which I saw in London while back on leave from Africa.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 02-04-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Graham. I guess mine is probably The Sound of Music because of the great songs I heard on the radio (before seeing the movie) but Fiddler on the Roof....

I'm kinda getting into musicals/music, thus the thread/question...
Old 02-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Phantom of the Opera! I also liked Wicked.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
kennyc

Thanks Javed...
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Phantom of the Opera! I also liked Wicked.
Yep. POTO is really cool. A couple of the songs are worth sitting through the rest of it. Okay, I admit most of it I can do without.

My favorite in the past few years is RENT but I've only seen the movie and nothing on stage. I think the movie is terrific, though. Very emotional, very positive, great songs, and the movie had some terrific singer/actors.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
kennyc

Thanks vivaldirules. I guess I should say every musical I've ever seen is a MOVIE musical. Very few full or limited stage productions available here in Denver....
Old 02-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Camelot! The film version - the photography was unbelievable! The colors! Especially during "If Ever I Would Leave You" when Vanessa Redgrave was filmed with colors varying for each season mentioned in the lyrics.
Richard Harris as a singer? Nah!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
South Pacific for me. Probably inherited from my mother, who loved it.

Snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Cats!

After my 8-year old daughter saw it (live stage), she and the neighbour kids put it on all summer. Love the poetry (TS Eliot) set to such raucous melodies, except for Midnight, which is just lovely.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
kennyc

Oh I'd forgotten South Pacific....some great songs!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
The Rogers and Hammerstein's musical Oklahoma has to be my favourite. What wonderful music. Gordon MacCrea and Shirley Jones fit their roles to perfection. I love the old black and white musicals with Fred Astaire, and Ginger Rogers. The Barkley's of Broadway, Top Hat, and Easter Parade with Judy Garland. I think Fred was the best dancer ever. Such rhythm, and grace. Phantom Of The Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber would be another favourite.

Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
kennyc

Well having grown up in Oklahoma, that one is definitely in my top few. Thanks Maggie!

Have you seen the one with Hugh Jackman in it? (I haven't but plan on watching it soon).
Old 02-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
No I haven't Kenny, but I'll check it out.
Thanks.

Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I have to pick one????? Kenny, you're sadistic.

My mom got me hooked on musicals. Picking a favorite is impossible, but here's a few I love.

Finian's Rainbow "How Are Things in Glocca Morra?"
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music
Cats (my son was hooked on this, he wore out our VHS of it when he was like 3).
Rent
Wicked (the bit of it I've seen via youtube, but I adore the soundtrack)
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (I can't help it, Donny Osmond was my first crush).
Camelot (Lerner and Loewe) I still go around singing "The Simple Joys of Maidenhood" and "C'est Moi" when I'm in a sarcastic mood.
The Pirates of Penzance (any version, but I'm a heretic and adored the Rex Smith/Linda Ronstadt one).
I love the soundtrack to Phantom; but haven't managed to actually SEE the ALW movie yet. I know, sacrilege!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote