Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Dwayne Smith
Dwayne Smith began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre fixes Hyphenation on iPad

I don't like the way iBooks on the iPad does hyphenation and want my ebooks to display without hyphenation.

If I use Calibre 0.6.44 to do a zip>epub conversion — the hyphenation problem is solved (using Calibre 0.7.38 does not fix the hyphenation problem for some reason).

Does anyone know what it is exactly that Calibre is doing? That is, can this be done by hand some way to avoid having to go through Calibre?

Thanks
d.
Dwayne Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
In 0.7.38 use the preprocess html option. I think that will remove hyphenation.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
The preprocess option will probably work, but it does depend on how the hyphens are inserted in the book.

If it doesn't work open a bug with the book at bugs.calibre-ebook.com and I can tweak the hyphen removal during preprocessing to cover your case.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Dwayne Smith

Thanks for your help guys.

The only option I could find is "Preprocess input file to possibly improve structure detection" which, looking at the Calibre User Manual, seems to be the option you're talking about (??).

But this option doesn't fix hyphenation and destroys other elements of the structure (ie. Aboriginal words with individual letters underlined, like Uluru, now have spaces either side of the letter and no underline)

Calibre is also mucking up my cover and title page. Hence the question: can the hyphenation issue be dealt with outside of Calibre?

d.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Wait for the next version ldolse and I have done a lot of work that will directly affect your issue. One of the changes is "Preprocess input file to possibly improve structure detection" has been broken out into individual options. So you will be able to enable dehyphenation (which will also be improved in the next release) without enabling the other heuristic options that will change the structure.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You probably need to play with the justification option under Look & Feel in the conversion settings. Probably one of the settings, left ata guess will turn off iBooks' auto hyphenation routines.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #7
Dwayne Smith

Well, thanks for your suggestions guys. But these things aren't getting rid of hyphenation (v.7.43). I'm not having much success with Calibre generally and I'll have to find a non-Calibre solution to the issue. Thanks again for your help. Have a good one. d.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 AM   #8
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

If you're saying the old version of Calibre didn't cause whatever problem you're having, You will have better luck posting a bug with your original source file, a 6.44 epub conversion of that file, and a 7.43 epub conversion. You can't post books here on mobileread, and whatever is the source of the problem will need some-one to look at examples of the difference between what the two versions are doing.

Open the bug here with attachments: bugs.calibre-ebook.com
Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
paulfiera
Addict
paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.paulfiera could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Smith View Post
Well, thanks for your suggestions guys. But these things aren't getting rid of hyphenation (v.7.43). I'm not having much success with Calibre generally and I'll have to find a non-Calibre solution to the issue. Thanks again for your help. Have a good one. d.
It may be iBooks itself that does the hyphenation.

Quote:
iBooks now fits more words per page by automatically hyphenating text, available only on iOS 4.2 or later
From here . Clik on "More..." under "What's new in version 1.2"
paulfiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Smith View Post
I think Kovid is correct here. When you convert a book under Preferences - Common Options - Look & Feel - Text justification try the left align option or if that doesn't do it try the Justify text option.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
Dwayne Smith

I really appreciate all the feedback — these online resources are major saviours.

Idolse — Calibre doesn't cause the hyphenation problem — that's an iBooks thing (iBooks does hyphenation automatically and really badly). The earlier version of Calibre did something to the ePub to remove this auto-hyphenation. The latest version of Calibre seems not to do this any more (trying the various suggestions posted here and combinations thereof). When I get some time I will definitely get a couple of files together and log a bug report for you.

I've since found (thanks to Liz Castro via Rick Gordon) that adding "-webkit-hyphens:none;" in the CSS will achieve exactly what I need — no auto-hyphenation in iBooks.

d.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #12
ldolse
Wizard

I was looking at the books you uploaded. There isn't any obvious difference in the css 6.44 sets vs. what 7.4 set. The only difference I could see was that 7.4 additionally set the left and right padding to 0 on the <body> tag. I don't think that should contribute to the problem, but you could play with it and see.

The easiest solution is probably what you found - you can add -webkit-hyphens:none using Calibre's extra css option.