Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
Mobipocket Guide, Calibre, and metadata

I got a few books from the Mobipocket Guide. They are all named in an "Author_Title" format (like "Abbott_Flatland") with the author space left blank. I tried fixing a couple of them in Calibre. When I import them to Calibre it says "Couldn't decode: (file name) Importing encrypted version." Then I can edit the metadata, but when I send it to my Kindle it isn't any different. Still Author_Title with nothing in the author spot.

Is there a way to change this?
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Check the Calibre Preferences for "Sending books to devices". You can set how the filenames/folders are created there. You should be able to change the metadata on books with DRM, but I've never tried. The metadata usually doesn't get updated until you "Save to disk" or "Send to device"... all depending on what settings are chosen for those two sections.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

I'm not really sure why it's saying they're encrypted in the first place. I thought these were not encrypted.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I did try editing the metadata on a couple of books I checked out from my library yesterday; they displayed properly on the Adobe Digital Editions reader but not on the Nook that followed me home a few days ago.

Calibre, of course, will not convert a DRM-protected book but I no issues saving the copy with the metadata changes onto my Nook.

Edit: The Nook came home with me after my initial post on my disappointment on my K3. Not so disappointed in the Kindle now!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

Can somebody clarify why these are encrypted? I thought the whole point was that they're public domain. (I'm talking about the books here, if that wasn't clear.)
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaJole View Post
Can somebody clarify why these are encrypted? I thought the whole point was that they're public domain. (I'm talking about the books here, if that wasn't clear.)
The ebooks available from mobileread should not be encrypted.

With MOBI it isn't technically possible to apply full DRM control without a Mobipocket-licenced server. However, there are lower levels of encryption that can be applied by Mobipocket Creator (and mobigen). This might have been done by mistake. Another possibility is that these are in an older version of the MOBI format or are mall-formed. Please point out a particular ebook for further analysis.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

I've noticed that the ones I'm having trouble with are .prc files. Like The Importance of Being Earnest and Flatland. They say "importing encrypted version."

I can read them and put them on my Kindle and everything--I just can't edit the metadata. (Hmmm... perhaps I should look for an epub version and convert it.)
Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaJole View Post
I've noticed that the ones I'm having trouble with are .prc files. Like The Importance of Being Earnest and Flatland. They say "importing encrypted version."

I can read them and put them on my Kindle and everything--I just can't edit the metadata. (Hmmm... perhaps I should look for an epub version and convert it.)
I tried download "earnest" and got the same message.....but when I clicked "okay" it came thru just fine and was readable.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

Yes, I'm just trying to edit the metadata so I can put the author in the author spot.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

Well, I tried just converting them to mobi and it may have worked, but now I'm having other problems. Which I suppose I will start a separate thread about.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #11
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I don't know if this helps, but I always have to convert .prc to .mobi when I correct the metadata and want to send the revised book to my kindle. Otherwise, nothing changes.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
TalkingBook
TalkingBook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
I don't know if this helps, but I always have to convert .prc to .mobi when I correct the metadata and want to send the revised book to my kindle. Otherwise, nothing changes.
Ditto for my DXG.
TalkingBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 AM   #13
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's absolutely correct. In fact even if your book is already in MOBI format and you want to edit the metadata, you have to 'convert' it to MOBI again afterwards for the changes to stick.

Maybe the Calibre developer (to whom all praise...) might be able to find a solution for this to avoid painful procedures like the endless one I am going through right now: redoing the metadata in my entire 400+ MOBI collection to get the right Author-Title display, which involves reconverting them all one by one after making the simple metadata change!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote