Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
mandahill
Either reading or writing
mandahill began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
Ereader for Christmas?

I've been so good this year that I'm fairly confident that Christmas morning will see me clutching my first ever dedicated e-reading device.

Consequently, in the last week or so I've installed Calibre and have started stockpiling ebooks, ready to transfer them to the new device. So far I have 37 books, mainly from Project Gutenberg, but also some from Smashwords and Google. I really hope my family aren't expecting me to talk to them this Christmas...

Is any one else here doing the same thing? Have you got even more books in your virtual to-be-read pile?

Amanda
mandahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
oh.....tsk tsk tsk.........

Before you go to PG, please check for the same books here.

Our books are formatted by our own members, proofed for errors, and extra pages removed.

Try comparing one and see if you don't agree.

Use the library link below to get started......and congratulations on your new device........whichever it may be.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandahill View Post
I've been so good this year that I'm fairly confident that Christmas morning will see me clutching my first ever dedicated e-reading device.

Consequently, in the last week or so I've installed Calibre and have started stockpiling ebooks, ready to transfer them to the new device. So far I have 37 books, mainly from Project Gutenberg, but also some from Smashwords and Google. I really hope my family aren't expecting me to talk to them this Christmas...

Is any one else here doing the same thing? Have you got even more books in your virtual to-be-read pile?

Amanda
I am doing exactly the same thing. I've downloaded a bunch of free books. I'm hoping to get either a Kindle or the gift cards to get one.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This is exactly what I did before getting my Kindle on my birthday.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I have never gotten an ereader for Christmas (although I am hoping for a 650, but I told my husband only if it's on sale), but I do remember spending Christmas 2 years ago with my ereader. I had gotten it for my birthday the month before, having no idea ahead of time and no desire ahead of time to own one. It was during Christmas break that I found MobileRead, and discovered I could get library books on my 505! That overjoyed me, and I spent a LOT of time on Christmas day on the computer trying to figure it all out.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I am getting one as well. I am impatiently waiting for it. It's out of stock at the moment. Delivery date is sometime next week.

Last edited by Dark123; 12-12-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
My brother, sister-in-law and step-daughter are getting ebook readers for Christmas. They don't know, though, so they're not doing any preparing.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
mandahill
Either reading or writing
mandahill began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
oh.....tsk tsk tsk.........

Before you go to PG, please check for the same books here.

Our books are formatted by our own members, proofed for errors, and extra pages removed.

Try comparing one and see if you don't agree.

Use the library link below to get started......and congratulations on your new device........whichever it may be.
Thanks, desertgrandma. There are about six of my downloaded books in the library here. I hadn't appreciated what the difference between the PG version and these was, so I will check those out.

Can't wait to get reading...

Amanda
mandahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I got an ereader for my birthday and I had been stockpiling books for several months beforehand. I used Books on the Knob (http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/) to find limited-time free books. I thought I was going to get a Nook so I mostly downloaded B&N ebooks. I ended up getting a Sony and luckily through reading these boards I figured out a way to get the B&N books on my Sony.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #10
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Here's to hoping for you!

You're going to feel like a boob if you don't get one, hehehe.

I got mine last year, and I love it.

I showed it to my mom and she thought it didn't have enough contrast, but she liked the idea.

Now, it is a year later, and the idea has grown on her. She has a Kindle awaiting her in LA when she goes out there to visit my sister's family.

She works about 14 hours a day, so I don't think she'll use it much. But she has big plans to start throwing out paper books and replacing them on her Kindle.

We'll see!

If you don't get an e-reader for Christmas, you should buy one anyway. They're tons of fun, and make reading so convenient that you'll find yourself reading a LOT more than before.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote