Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Terri_B
Terri_B began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO TOUCH
Penguin.com Problem

Over the last few months I have purchase books from KOBO that have ended in a page that advertises Penguin.com. No matter where I tap on the page it keeps trying to connect me to penguin.com. I can't turn the page to go back into the book and I can't turn the page to close the book. I can't tap on it to get the contents, nothing. It's as if the whole page is one redirect to the penguin.com site. So now these books are showing as 99% read. I have gone into my book list and marked the book as read and still when I open the book it takes me to this last page. Has anyone else come across this problem and any idea how to fix this. I have a lot of books that are frozen on this page because they are all from Penguin Books.
Terri_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have some Penguin books from Kobo, but none of the ones I've checked so far have a link to penguin.com.

I would complain to Kobo about the book, if there is a problem with it then they might give you store credit to buy another. But to get off the problem page you could try this: mark the book as finished, sync, log into the Kobo website, look up the book in your purchased books list, bookmark the first page, then sync again, and hopefuly the book will open at the first page.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Finishing a book by going past the last page does different things in the database than marking it as finished in the lists.

If you finish the book, its status is changed to finished and the current reading location is set to the first page of the book. Reopening the book will open it at the start of the book. There are probably some other things that happen related to the awards and reading life.

If you mark it as finished from the library list, or the menu in the book, it simply changes the status to finished. The current reading location is not changed. Reopening the book will take you to the last place that was read.

There are two things happening. There is the desire to actually finish the book so that it all gets marked of properly. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen with the version of the book Terri_B has. And I can understand the desire to finish the book as it would annoy me enough to do all sorts of horrible things.

The other thing is that there is a problem with the book. The last page shouldn't behave like that. The problem should be reported to Kobo so that they can get it fixed. It might be worthwhile forcing a new download of the book in the manner GeoffR described in case it has been fixed or there was a problem when it was downloaded. It would also be interesting to see what the last page looked like in the desktop application or the app on an Android or Apple device.

But, in the "what the hell" bucket, I can think of two things to try. Change the font to the smallest font or setting the margins to the maximum size. Both of these might give an area on the screen that can be pressed to trigger page forward without activating the link.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I had the same problem some time ago. I believe i complained to kobo and they told me to go to the website and bookmark the book (I think it does it automatically on first page). After sync it should be normal. I think I didn't forget anything.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
The logic on iOS, which may also apply to other platforms, is:
If you are ≥ 95% progress in a book and you use "Close" option, regardless of where you close it form (inside the book or outside of the book) then it will close the book and mark it as "Finished". We will show the status of the book as Finished.

In addition, a reading life event is fired which marks the book as Finished.
This event is used when deciding what to display on the "Finished" shelf. It also explains why if you start to re-read a previously finished book it will stay on the Finished shelf, as it has previously been marked as Finished.

The problem sounds as though the page is one big link, and I've seen this before with other books, and so no matter where you tap (there might be a very small border around the edge) it activates the link and thus tries to open the website.

Do report this to Customer Care (help@kobobooks.com). I cannot say if the problem will be fixed, as it would likely require an updated version from the publisher to address the issue, but if you don't officially report it, we won't know about it.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri_B View Post
Over the last few months I have purchase books from KOBO that have ended in a page that advertises Penguin.com. No matter where I tap on the page it keeps trying to connect me to penguin.com. I can't turn the page to go back into the book and I can't turn the page to close the book. I can't tap on it to get the contents, nothing. It's as if the whole page is one redirect to the penguin.com site. So now these books are showing as 99% read. I have gone into my book list and marked the book as read and still when I open the book it takes me to this last page. Has anyone else come across this problem and any idea how to fix this. I have a lot of books that are frozen on this page because they are all from Penguin Books.
Maybe try swiping?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Are these kepubs or adobe epubs? Just wondering...
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
...or you could turn your wifi off temporarily...
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Not sure if this is the same issue but I ran into a book that used an image of the publisher's name and logo for the visible portion of the link. That image was displayed covering the last page which sounds like what you are seeing. I was able to use the margin slider to increase the size of the margins on that page so I could touch outside the image to trigger the next page/end of book.

If your issue is the same, that might help.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
bbrady42
bbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura about

That just happened to me with a Penguin book. Swiping worked.
bbrady42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Hmm, sounds like it might be a penguin book thing.
Any of you care to do the following for me with books you have seen this with:

1. Go to the kobobooks.com website in a browser and sign into your Kobo account
2. Go to your I'm Reading list by visiting this URL: <http://www.kobobooks.com/library/reading.html>
3. Find the book you have problems with and click on it's name. This will display the book item page
4. Copy the URL in the browser address bar and email us this URL.

This will give me the same book you have, and that's critical, as there could be different editions of the book, and one might work the other might not.

Can you also let me know where in the book you have seen this problem (last chapter, last page, etc...)

I will, when I have a spare moment, try and have a look at the books and see if I can confirm / deny it's this "whole page link" issue that I think it could be. If so, then I will grab a few other books from that publisher / author and see if they also have the problem. I'll also try and figure out if it's the book or if it's an app / device problem, and something "we" can fix, or if it's something the publisher needs to fix.

I cannot provide any kind of guarantee of how long this may take, or wether it will be resolved.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
Terri_B

I thank you all very much for your input. I will try to address some of the questions.

1) Mark as Finished - It does not matter if I mark the book as finished and re sync it because when I open the book it is still stuck on the last page.
2) Put Font on the Smallest setting - Since I can't tap anywhere on the page to close the book or get to the options I can't get at the settings or anything else. I am literally stuck.
3) Not sure what you mean by bookmarking the book?
4) I tried swiping, no luck.
5) The books are epubs
6) I always keep my wifi off and I also have my reading life turned off since I have close to 400 hundred books on my e-reader that I have read.

To Sharkas: I have 5 or 6 books that have this issue, I will tried to find them, the last one was the new J.R.Ward book. I can go into my desktop library and click on the book and scroll back to the first page and the re sync my e-reader but it does not solve the issue of the book not closing at the end. As far as I am concerned Penguin books should not be allowed to do this because even if I go to their site from my e-reader it doesn't help me close the book. The worst thing is that it is on the very last page and you don't know you are coming up to it till you turn the page and there it is, in your face. Now your stuck. Very, very, annoying.

I would like to thank all of you again for your input and I am sorry that it took me a while to get back to you. I lost my password and I am not familiar with this site so it took me a while to find my post. Take care.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
Terri_B

For those of you who wondered what the last page looked like.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
3) Not sure what you mean by bookmarking the book?
When you sign in to the Kobo website, select "MY LIBRARY", then select "PURCHASED" to get a list of your purchased books. Then tick the box beside each book you want to change, and press the "BOOKMARK" button. It will ask if you want to bookmark the first page, answer YES. Then after you next sync your reader, those books should open at the first page instead of the problem page.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:30 AM   #15
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Now if this thread isn't a very strong argument for page-turn buttons...

And concerning Penguin - don't you love their ebooks that have a nice cover in the store, but when you've bought them, they flip you their bloody bird instead?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote