Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #1501
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Kris, have you considered adding a prompt so that when the end of a book is reached, you can show a popup that would ask the reader if they want to mark the book as read?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:20 AM   #1502
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@Gurvan: Thanks for offering to help. When I start localising Marvin, I'll let everyone know.

@MeSue: More or less. I'm building a list of actions to perform when the end of book is reached (e.g. Mark as read, tweet progress, etc...).
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #1503
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad & Bebook Neo
Kris I was wondering how difficult it would be to create an offline copy of ones calibre library on ones ipad or iphone. I do not mean to copy all epubs to ones ipad/iphone. Just the metadata should be enough. When i am in a book store i often wonder which book i already have, then it would be great to be able to check.

The metadata file itself it not so large, but it is an sql database.

Do you use an sql database to store information in or ...

Just wondering how difficult it would be.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #1504
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
I quite like the idea of a "virtual bookshelf" - one that contains all the books your own and exist in Dropbox/Calibre/etc... but not necessarily in Marvin's library. I'll put some thought into it.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #1505
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
I quite like the idea of a "virtual bookshelf" - one that contains all the books your own and exist in Dropbox/Calibre/etc... but not necessarily in Marvin's library. I'll put some thought into it.
Kris, my idea was more a seperate app, with the same look and feel as Marvin. A kind of companion app.
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #1506
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
maxjens, why don't you just use a searchable OPDS feed?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #1507
maxjens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
maxjens, why don't you just use a searchable OPDS feed?
The reason is that one does not have a viable connection to theinternet in every location. Besides that it is then a very slow proces. If i can for instance scan the isbn, i will know in a second if the book is in my library.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #1508
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
This doesn't fit the "no internet bill" but you can sync your Calibre library with GoodReads and use their app for scanning ISBNs.
(But how would you look up the ISBN anyway without an internet connection... :-) )
Old 06-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #1509
maxjens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
This doesn't fit the "no internet bill" but you can sync your Calibre library with GoodReads and use their app for scanning ISBNs.
(But how would you look up the ISBN anyway without an internet connection... :-) )
I looked at goodreads and didn't like their app. The idea is to store that data offline that one would need. So probably i would store the isbn numbers offline. I haven't found a good offline calibre integrated book library.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #1510
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjens View Post
Kris I was wondering how difficult it would be to create an offline copy of ones calibre library on ones ipad or iphone. I do not mean to copy all epubs to ones ipad/iphone. Just the metadata should be enough. When i am in a book store i often wonder which book i already have, then it would be great to be able to check.

The metadata file itself it not so large, but it is an sql database.

Do you use an sql database to store information in or ...

Just wondering how difficult it would be.
Take a look at calibre's Catalog feature, that might do what you want.

G
Old 06-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #1511
maxjens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Take a look at calibre's Catalog feature, that might do what you want.

G
Seen it, it does not. Its not on my ipad and not accessible.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #1512
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Seen it, it does not. Its not on my ipad and not accessible.
You create an ePub catalog of your calibre library, add it to your reader app of choice on your iPad. Now you have a portable catalog of your library.

G
Old 06-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #1513
maxjens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
You create an ePub catalog of your calibre library, add it to your reader app of choice on your iPad. Now you have a portable catalog of your library.

G
True, but not what i have in mind.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #1514
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Kris, my idea was more a seperate app, with the same look and feel as Marvin. A kind of companion app.
There is an app/program for that - Check http://www.collectorz.com/book/
It uses a program to catalog (PC/Mac) and has apps (apple/android) that allow you to carry and search your database offline. Specifically "CLZ Barry" and "CLZ Books" allows you to scan barcodes in a store. If you have Internet connection it brings up all the data on the book and allows you to add to your wish list. It even tells you if you already have it. If you don't have Internet then some of that functionality is lost, but the isbn is stored for later.

It would be REALLY awesome if you could click on a link within the app and have it download and open the book in your reading app of choice - MARVIN (of course). I've recommended this functionality to their devs - and they were agreeable, but it has to be something that both apps work together to coordinate. Maybe Kris could look into that when he is bored.... Lol
Old 06-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #1515
maxjens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
There is an app/program for that - Check http://www.collectorz.com/book/
It uses a program to catalog (PC/Mac) and has apps (apple/android) that allow you to carry and search your database offline. Specifically "CLZ Barry" and "CLZ Books" allows you to scan barcodes in a store. If you have Internet connection it brings up all the data on the book and allows you to add to your wish list. It even tells you if you already have it. If you don't have Internet then some of that functionality is lost, but the isbn is stored for later.

It would be REALLY awesome if you could click on a link within the app and have it download and open the book in your reading app of choice - MARVIN (of course). I've recommended this functionality to their devs - and they were agreeable, but it has to be something that both apps work together to coordinate. Maybe Kris could look into that when he is bored.... Lol
Yes have been trying that one on my pc. It takes a lot of effort to get ones books in, they did not import calibre catalogs.

Basically most solutions now availible are pc oriented. They do not take advantage of the touch environment of the iphone or ipad. The best ipad or iphone apps are simple in use and focussed on swipes and touches, not data entry. Your idea of of automatic downloading and opening in Marvin is exactly what i like.

Last edited by maxjens; 06-03-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Closed Thread