Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
brainvision
Connoisseur
brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brainvision ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet, Kindle Paperwhite
Question Nexus 7 32 GB 3G or Asus Trasformer Prime 300T 16 GB??

Hi boyz and girlz!!

I would like to buy a tablet and I saw a lot of products of every kind, also cheapest China ones, but now I can't decide which one I should buy between the following two:

- Asus Nexus 7 32 GB 3G
- Asus Trasformer Prime 300T 16 GB WiFi

Both Asus 'cause here in Italy Google gives Asus the right to sell it; both at the same price, € 300; but different specifications, as I read: the Nexus 7 seems to lack things like a real camera, a USB port, a mini-USB one, a microSD slot; the USB port is only for mouse and keyboards or for read-only USB pen drives - buying an app by Google; the Prime has all of this features and has a larger screen (but same 1280x800 resolution); processor and RAM are both the same.
Another thing I learn is that if I root the Nexus and I flash a cooked ROM (by xda, I presume) I can use the USB port as a read & write normal device, so I can also connect an USB adapter for a microSD..

The biggest lack, in this case, remains the HDMI port, which the Prime has (and there is no way to implement this!!).
Finally, of course, the Prime doesn't have the 3G module (the 3G model is too much expensive, for me) but I could use my smartphone with tethering WiFi.

Considering all that, and also considering that I should use this tablet in every possible but usual way (web; music, video, a lot of eBook reading; GPS and so on), what should I finally buy??
I'm really confused, now: I spent my last week reading and reading and asking and asking!! Naturally, as I said, I also considered others tablets, but I think that one of the two is the best one for my needs..

thanks very much for paying attention,
see you soon!!
brainvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
It all comes down to form factor and features you want. For reading, I prefer the Nexus 7 because it's smaller, lighter and easier to operate single-handedly. Keep in mind, though, while the Nexus 7 might support USB flash drives via USB OTG after rooting, it's a major hassle to have something hanging off your device while you're using it. If you need lots of storage, a device with a built-in expansion slot provides a more elegant solution.

By the way, I ended up buying a Nexus 7 look-alike Chinese tablet since I found the lack of microSD slot on the Nexus 7 too limiting for my usage. Alas, CPU+GPU is no good for gaming and it's missing a slew of features such as bluetooth, GPS, NFC, etc.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I love my Nexus 7, just the right size for me.

You can use USB OTG on the Nexus 7 without rooting it. With cloud access there is no need for OTG or a SD card. The plus of the Nexus 7 is the timely security updates to the OS.

If for some reason HDMI is critical then the Nexus 7 is not for you.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
For me personally, I don't see them as competing products as such.

I've both a 7 inch (Galaxy Tab) and a 10 inch (Asus Infinity) tablet and I think they both perform different roles.

The 7 inch is ideal for a portable device that can be carried around very easily as it will slip into virtually any back and - in some cases - even is large pockets. It goes everywhere with me.

The 10 inch is the "stay home" tablet as it really is too big for easy portability as will require a good size bag to carry it in. Also, it's not that convenient for use while travelling, getting it out while on the bus is awkward especially if you are standing up. I use it constantly while home and almost never use the 7 inch one while home.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nexus 7, tablets, trasformer prime 300