Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Harry More
Harry More can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Harry More can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Harry More can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Harry More can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Harry More can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Harry More can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Harry More can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Harry More can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Harry More can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Harry More can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Harry More can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle
Preventing Kindle 2 from phoning home?

I do not like Amazon's policy of collecting information from Kindle users. I personally do not think corporate monitoring of human citizens is much less invasive than government monitoring. For this reason I do not recommend getting a Kindle to anyone, recommending another product instead, such as a Nook. However, I do have a Kindle 2 myself, and would be interested in knowing how to circumvent such things. I have found information on how to do it on the Kindle 3, but not the Kindle 2. Any help would be appreciated!
Harry More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry More View Post
I do not like Amazon's policy of collecting information from Kindle users. I personally do not think corporate monitoring of human citizens is much less invasive than government monitoring. For this reason I do not recommend getting a Kindle to anyone, recommending another product instead, such as a Nook. However, I do have a Kindle 2 myself, and would be interested in knowing how to circumvent such things. I have found information on how to do it on the Kindle 3, but not the Kindle 2. Any help would be appreciated!
Keep the 3G turned off. Simple as that.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Keep the 3G turned off. Simple as that.
You mean keep Wireless (3G and/or wifi) turned off, right?

Even the wifi-only kindles phone home.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
You mean keep Wireless (3G and/or wifi) turned off, right?

Even the wifi-only kindles phone home.
No K2 has wifi.
That's specifically what the OP was asking about.

And while all Kindles certainly have the ability to "phone home," one has yet to be caught red-handed actually sending its collected logfile to Amazon servers.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-11-2012 at 02:05 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Ok. Fine. Whatever. I did not say that the kindle 2 has wifi. I shall assume for the sake of argument that your presumed assumptions were in jest.
The class name for wireless connectivity of all types used in all kindle models is "Wireless", which is what I used. Before you doubt me, just look in the settings menu. Following the word "Wireless" above, in parentheses I expanded on that to show what methods of wireless connectivity may be used by kindles of all types.

And then I clarified that to eliminate confusion, by saying that "even the wifi-only kindles phone home". That means whichever kindle models actually have wifi installed in them, which obviously excludes the kindle 2.

Still, the settings menu calls it "Wireless", on all the kindles, regardless of whether that kindle is 3G-only, or wifi-only, or even if it has both 3G and wifi.

And if you insist on being a pedantic wordsmith, then how can a kindle be caught red-handed when it has no hands?

Yeah, I can see that you are oozing with 7-digit Karma, while my Karma is merely 6-digits. All the more reason to not start a flameware over correct word usage, fine points of grammar, and technical minutiae.

Of course, there was that wink smiley thingie in your post, so perhaps you were just poking fun at me in friendly jest. In that case, I already poked back, repeatedly (see the active smiley above).

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-11-2012 at 04:03 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Of course, there was that wink smiley thingie in your post, so perhaps you were just poking fun at me in friendly jest. In that case, I already poked back, repeatedly (see the active smiley above).
That's the spirit!
I think?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote