Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 08-29-2007, 08:19 AM   #31
zdevil
Enthusiast
zdevil began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200, Hanlin V3
Ok, here is my initial hands-on report.

I bought the V3 online. It cost USD 324, plus USD 44 express delivery.
First I filled in the online form last Sunday. Then Jinke sent me a message detailing the purchase procedure the next day. I wired the money to Jinke last Tuesday. They confirmed the transaction on Thursday and shipped the device in the evening on the same day. Because of the weekend, I received it on Monday morning.

The customer service is excellent. I sent several emails asking about the details of delivery and they answered every single mail promptly, mostly on the same day.

My impression is that for now the recently *hacked* Sony Reader may have functionalities than HanlinV3. I am really looking forward to Jinke's Linux SDK in October.

So far I find these nice things about Hanlin V3:
1) Very handy bookmarking using the number keys: short pressing = jump to the designated bookmark or create one if not yet there; long pressing = erase the old bookmark and add a new one.
2) Pretty fast file access, e.g. only 3-4 secs for a 10MB PDF
3) Turning page takes less than a second
4) Long pressing page turning button makes a 10-page jump
5) Easy menu for first page, last page, or any specific page in a document
6) 3 viewing modes: default full page portrait view, zoomed in portrait view, the biggest landscape view. A cool thing is for A4 PDF, the landscape view will automatically leave out the margins and justify the text!
The results look very close to what is shown in the pics of Sony Reader above.
7) Built-in 512MB memory plus support of up to 4GB of SD
8) As a run-of-the-mill USB mass storage device when connected to a PC (and my Zaurus too ) just like a huge USB stick; no driver is needed.
9) Very good rendering of both simplified and traditional Chinese characters (even Hong Kong Cantonese characters!), and nice multi language support
10) Good support of embedded fonts in PDFs.
11) Good display of images (even in PDF, DOC and HTML)
12) No file conversion is necessary (unlike the unhacked Sony Reader)

What is left to be desired:
1) More zooming levels!
2) Time display (as in the Sony Reader hack)
3) File manager (to copy/delete/move files)

Will post some pics later.

Last edited by zdevil; 08-29-2007 at 08:27 AM.
zdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:16 AM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Wow, that's an impressive feature set! Looking forward to the pix when you get time to do them. Thanks for the overview!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #33
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdevil View Post
10) Good support of embedded fonts in PDFs.

12) No file conversion is necessary (unlike the unhacked Sony Reader)
Those two points are not very clear to me.

10 - Sony reader also supports it but then turning a page takes 3-4 seconds instead of less than a sec. So, what does it mean good support?

12 - Sony supports RTF without images, which doesn't require any convertion. You need to convert any format into LRF if you want to use it.
So, what do you mean by No file conversion is necessary ? Does it support HTML, DOC, RTF and LIT natively without any restriction i.e like sony's restriction with RTF?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #34
zdevil
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Those two points are not very clear to me.
10 - Sony reader also supports it but then turning a page takes 3-4 seconds instead of less than a sec. So, what does it mean good support?

12 - Sony supports RTF without images, which doesn't require any convertion. You need to convert any format into LRF if you want to use it.
So, what do you mean by No file conversion is necessary ? Does it support HTML, DOC, RTF and LIT natively without any restriction i.e like sony's restriction with RTF?
I open some PDF journal papers with special fonts and symbols and characters of different languages. Everything displays fine. No difference in page turning speed.

Yes, V3 has native supports of PDF, Word DOC, TXT and HTML (with images) without the need of conversion.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #35
fjell_strom
Enthusiast
fjell_strom has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: HanLin V3 with Vizplex? Hmmmmmm...
Hello Everyone!

First time poster, here. I live in Germany and I am leaning heavily towards buying a V3 asap. What is my cheapest - but still reliable - option for acquiring one of these babies? I have heard that there are French, Hungarian/Ukraine, Turkish, and Chinese routes to ordering.

Any sugguestions from the fray? Thank you in advance. I am truly excited about the prospect of ebook readers!!!!

fjell
fjell_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #36
zdevil
Enthusiast

I think buying directly from Jinke online is the best solution. The process was mentioned in a few posts up.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:59 AM   #37
miguel_zaragoza
miguel_zaragoza began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N80
I'm thinking about buy a v3, or wait and buy and V9.

Anybody has bought a V3 in Europe?
How much it cost in Euros, with taxes (IVA), etc?

Sorry for my English.

Best wishes from Spain.
miguel_zaragoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #38
miyami
miyami began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin v8
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel_zaragoza View Post
I'm thinking about buy a v3, or wait and buy and V9.

Anybody has bought a V3 in Europe?
How much it cost in Euros, with taxes (IVA), etc?

Sorry for my English.

Best wishes from Spain.
I bought V3 from their web and cost me $391. I live in Us. I think the total cost to Spain should be under $400. you will like this stuff.
miyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #39
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Your English is fine, miguel_zaragoza, and welcome to MobileRead, by the way.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:46 AM   #40
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
One question: Lets say I have a big html file (in Dimension 3000x2000 Pixels), can I scroll with the V3 like with the scrollbars in Firefox?

Does the V3 supports frames?

Thank you for a answer

Gogolo (who absolutely now wants a V9 and will buy a V3 to shorten the waiting time ) )
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:55 AM   #41
|2eason
Connoisseur
|2eason is on a distinguished road

Device: Tatung Tablet
Is the V3 a Vizplex or not? I've seen claims that it is, but no proof of it yet. It would make it the only Vizplex on the market, since the Bookeen isn't out yet.

It would also mean the tag for this subforum should be updated.
|2eason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #42
fjell_strom
Enthusiast

It's been over a week since I tried ordering a V3 with Jinke. They simply have not yet responded to my initial mail. Getting a little restless. That being the case, I thought I might ask here on the forum - anyone have a V3 they'd be willing to sell?

If so, let me know. I'd be happy to buy it - especially if you happen to be in the EU.

fjell
Old 09-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #43
zdevil
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjell_strom View Post
It's been over a week since I tried ordering a V3 with Jinke. They simply have not yet responded to my initial mail. Getting a little restless. That being the case, I thought I might ask here on the forum - anyone have a V3 they'd be willing to sell?

If so, let me know. I'd be happy to buy it - especially if you happen to be in the EU.

fjell
Did you order it through Jinke's website? I filled out their electronic order form on Friday evening and received their payment instrucrtions on Monday morning. Wire payment took two days, and express delivery took another three days.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:05 AM   #44
fjell_strom
Enthusiast

Yeah, I ordered with the electronic order form which simply takes your details. I did so, like yourself, a week ago Friday. But unlike you I heard nothing then on Monday. It's possible that an email was sent but was mistakenly treated as junk mail by Outlook. Anyway, I sent off another "order form" yesterday. We'll see if I receive anything this time on Monday. Thanks for chiming in, zdevil.

One last thing - I'm really still torn between the v3 and the Sony: zdevil, if you had to buy again, which would you go for?

fjell
Old 09-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjell_strom View Post
Yeah, I ordered with the electronic order form which simply takes your details. I did so, like yourself, a week ago Friday. But unlike you I heard nothing then on Monday. It's possible that an email was sent but was mistakenly treated as junk mail by Outlook. Anyway, I sent off another "order form" yesterday. We'll see if I receive anything this time on Monday. Thanks for chiming in, zdevil.

One last thing - I'm really still torn between the v3 and the Sony: zdevil, if you had to buy again, which would you go for?

fjell
Check the junk mail folder on your ISP's web based email. If it's filtering it, then you need to tell the system that it's not junk. And at least you will know why you did not receive the message.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote