Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
just told off m-edge

I just told off m-edge for not having products for the new Sony Readers. I told them in no uncertain terms that I want to know why no products for the new Sony Readers. I told them I want the truth and not a stock answer.

I see they have new K3 covers and nook color covers (and the nook color isn't even yet released). So why do they think we are second class citizens?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just told off m-edge for not having products for the new Sony Readers. I told them in no uncertain terms that I want to know why no products for the new Sony Readers. I told them I want the truth and not a stock answer.

I see they have new K3 covers and nook color covers (and the nook color isn't even yet released). So why do they think we are second class citizens?
Indeed... unfortunately, I have had the same problem with quite a few devices in the past due to them not being owned by anybody...

by the by.... JS... Do you still have your old 505?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Indeed... unfortunately, I have had the same problem with quite a few devices in the past due to them not being owned by anybody...

by the by.... JS... Do you still have your old 505?
M-Edge just wants to lose customers. With the new devices out and people buying them, people will need covers. M-Edge is losing business due to being stupid. I do wait to read the reply they send back. I don't want the "well take your interest into consideration and toss it into the trash like we do all the other Sony Reader inquiries." email. I want to know why they don't want to make products for Sony Readers any longer.

As for my old 505, I no longer have it.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Kickbacks from Amazon, lol. Who knows? Probably some marketing weenie told an executive group at M-Edge that Sony's were losing marketshare. Either that or just the fact that Sony's advertising is more word of mouth than anything else.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I sent them a few emails inquiring about covers 650 shortly after purchasing my 650. I had hope they they would produce them until I saw that they were making covers for the Nook Color and it wasn't even shipping yet.

I'm sure M-Edge has their reasons for not making cases for the new Sony Readers and I'm no longer holding my breath waiting to purchase one. If they ever decide to produce accessories for the 350/650/950, I won't be counted as one of their customers.

BTW, I love their products and had cases for my previous 505 and 600.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Very few vendors are making covers for the new Sony readers, while they all carry them for the Kindle, Nook and iPad lines. It obviously has to do with market share—if it was worth their time they'd make the cover.

I'm bummed I can't get an Oberon cover for my PRS-650. They say they still sell some of their PRS-600 covers and they fit the 650 with the velcro system, but I'm leery of trusting my reader to velcro. I like the corner loops.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
mplkn
mplkn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-950, PRS-900, PRS-600
the M-Edge zipper case for the Nook fits the PRS-950 very well. Been using it since someone here posted with that observation. Bought it at BestBuy after receiving assurance I ccould return it if it didn't fit. Brought it home, tried it, and been using it happily ever since. So check out the dimensions of the two devices - they're quite close, well within what the tolerances of the case can handle.

Hope this helps.
mplkn
Michael
mplkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
M-Edge seems to be cutting back lately. They aren't using genuine leather in their Kindle 3 covers. Most of their Sony covers are reduced in price (I bought a go jacket to use with my Cybook Opus, although the corners are too big and I will have to add velcro -- got it for $16). I wondered if this meant that they actually will make covers for the new Sony readers. I haven't asked, but I know they have said that they won't be making them.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
M-edge will probably use the well-known phrase, "nobody's asking for them," to all the many people asking for them...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Funny. You say it like they have a duty to support your model of Reader. They do not owe you an answer and there is no obligation on them to do anything they don't want to do. If they want to support the Reader range, then subject to time, money and profit etc, I have no doubt they will.

Kudos to you for showing them that there is a loyal market and a pent up demand tho', but you got to love the way you do it LOL!!
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I am very sorry for any inconvenience. I can promise that we do not view our Sony customers as second class purchasers. Unfortunately, we have simply not had enough customer interest for accessories for the new Sony devices to start production. Also, some of our other products are in higher demand and we are working as hard as we can to meet the demand for those items at this time. Should we receive more interest in accessories for these devices we may reconsider making accessories for them after the holiday season. All of our customers are truly important to us and we are tracking all customer inquiries for new items as they come in. I hope this information has been helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

Take Care,
Kelly
Team M-Edge
So if they have to have "enough interest" in order to then start a product line, how did they get enough interest in the nook color? I think their excuse is pure BS. And they don't actually have Sony customers for the new Readers as they don't make product for them.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-20-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #12
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
It is a business. If they felt the demand was there then I'm sure they meet the demand. They probably feel the Sony market isn't big enough to warrant the design/production costs. I seriously doubt that they are not making profitable sales to Sony customers simply because they are out to get us.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
It is a business. If they felt the demand was there then I'm sure they meet the demand. They probably feel the Sony market isn't big enough to warrant the design/production costs. I seriously doubt that they are not making profitable sales to Sony customers simply because they are out to get us.
As great as the new readers are (and I love my new 350-- but bought only because I got that $120 misprice) they probably aren't selling well thanks to being priced higher than just about everything else in their size range, but without wireless connectivity (which doesn't matter to me, but does to some.) The fact that Sony is already discounting them by 30 to 50 dollars 2 months into the product cycle is likely not a good sign as to how well they are selling. So there might not be enough of a customer base for M-Edge to think it is worth it yet.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
As great as the new readers are (and I love my new 350-- but bought only because I got that $120 misprice) they probably aren't selling well thanks to being priced higher than just about everything else in their size range, but without wireless connectivity ...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #15
jeather
Enthusiast
jeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjeather has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Glo
When I asked, I was told they had no plans to start making them for the new Sonys. I now have an order in at Etsy, where they will make them for any reader at all.
jeather is offline   Reply With Quote