Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
ClarkeF
ClarkeF began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Connect Reader Problems

Hi,

I just found this forum last night after six months of Sony Reader ownership. I've been using RTF files mostly, and stripping out graphics and cover pages.

Unfortunately a few months ago, my CONNECT Reader software decided that it didn't need to display my library or the menu. I can see the content in a book, but I can't syncronize it or access any options other than reading a .LRF directly when that file is double-clicked on to open CONNECT.

I have uninstalled, re-installed, wiped registry entries and so on, but each time I get the same content-less CONNECT window. I have over 170 books in my library, but no titles or authors are visible. See the picture.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Clarke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connect.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	5103  
ClarkeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
You've tried going to Library through the View menu? And does the divider between the "size" and "date" columns move back and forth?

I've not seen what you're showing before - there aren't even the list/book/thumbnail buttons.

Also, have you tried calling support?
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
ClarkeF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
You've tried going to Library through the View menu? And does the divider between the "size" and "date" columns move back and forth?

I've not seen what you're showing before - there aren't even the list/book/thumbnail buttons.

Also, have you tried calling support?
You can select Library from the view menu, but you can't see it. It's like some of the frames or structure around the central bits are missing. I've called support to get the "uninstall/re-install" recommendation, but haven't called back since (I'm in the UK - the cost is prohibitive). I might just have to call them anyway, but I was hoping that someone would be able to help here.

Cheers,

Clarke
Old 08-25-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
You might want to try deleting the library database on your computer. Maybe it is corrupt? I'm on Vista and it is located at:
C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation\CONNECT Reader\Database\kThumbnails_indexPath.xdi
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
ClarkeF

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
You might want to try deleting the library database on your computer. Maybe it is corrupt? I'm on Vista and it is located at:
C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation\CONNECT Reader\Database\kThumbnails_indexPath.xdi
No change. The software still doesn't show the right columns and information. :-( Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Clarke
Old 08-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #6
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Are you using a firewall, virus scanning, or spyware scanning? Try turning them off, restart the machine, and then see if it comes up. (But turn them back on before surfing again... )

I don't see how that can affect your library - that's just a stock answer in the bag of tricks.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You are actually dragging and dropping files into the library? - they don't find their way there automatically.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:20 AM   #8
ClarkeF

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingVulcan View Post
Are you using a firewall, virus scanning, or spyware scanning? Try turning them off, restart the machine, and then see if it comes up. (But turn them back on before surfing again... )

I don't see how that can affect your library - that's just a stock answer in the bag of tricks.
Alas, I've done all of the usual bag of tricks and none of them seem to work. :-(

Regards,

Clarke
Old 08-29-2007, 06:22 AM   #9
ClarkeF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
You are actually dragging and dropping files into the library? - they don't find their way there automatically.
Patricia,

I can drag and drop, I can open a Sony Reader book with the right extension. No matter how I open CONNECT, I can't see the library or the options to syncronize. I can read a book that I opened through clicking the file - but I don't get access to the rest of the menu items that let me manage my collection. With over 200 books, I'd prefer to organize through the CONNECT software and not by dropping files on an SD card.

Regards,

Clarke
Old 08-29-2007, 10:59 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It looks from the picture like the right-hand window is over-expanded and covers/shoves off-screen the library parts that should be on the left. I think I may recall something like that being reported before, and a fix found. Let me do a bit of forum mining ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, found it. Have a look at the first post in this thread -- does that screen shot look familiar?

If you don't want to read the whole thread (and of course I can't imagine why you wouldn't ) the actual solution is in post #23.

See if that helps out.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
ClarkeF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
If you don't want to read the whole thread (and of course I can't imagine why you wouldn't ) the actual solution is in post #23.

See if that helps out.
Perfect! Thank you very much. Now, like the other fellow, I need to rebuild my library.

Cheers,

Clarke
Old 08-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Take note of the last few entries in the thread too, they may or may not be helpful to you in that rebuilding.

Glad that worked.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:03 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Excellent! This probably needs to go into the Wiki.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote