Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #16
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
You mean a talking device with an integrated laser ?
It could also have a couple of satellite receivers so it can act as a GPS and know where you are...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #17
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
It could also have a couple of satellite receivers so it can act as a GPS and know where you are...
Nice stuff !
Can't wait for it.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #18
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'd like to see a multipage format that can be turned just like a book so that the loonie from Scotland will allow her books to be e-published. Just a thought...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
i want a bigger screen. 8 inches at the least. and a whiter background. and i'm not sure about the buttons on the kindle 2...but the buttons on the first one were pretty bad. so i hope they fix that.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #20
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Will they ever make a device with a larger screen that can read tables and diagrams for the college crowd? what a boon that would be!

Will they ever get their heads out of the sand and find a way to go world wide? Wireless isn't even necessary.

After seeing how they butchered (only in my opinion, of course) the Kindle2, I don't have a lot of hope.

I will hold onto my two Kindle1's until they die a from being loved to death, and by then.........who knows?
I'm in 100% agreement with you dg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, IIRC correctly the 9.7 inch devices were all delayed a year or so because the screens were to fragile so PVI nixed em so they could perfect a fully plastic and flexible screen that wouldn't be so brittle in such a big size. I think I heard that the screens will be going into production this year by second quarter. Of course, you know how that goes.
That's really interesting to know. I'd read that Plastic Logic's screen size is 10.7" and I used my high school geometry to figure out that this means the screen is only 6.5"x8.5". Is this really going to be big enough to display 8.5"x11" pages? BTW, my math says the 9.7" screens are 5.5"x8" or thereabouts -- this assumes the screens have about the same ratio as an 8.5"x11" page, which has a 13.9" diagonal.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #21
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
the screen is only 6.5"x8.5". Is this really going to be big enough to display 8.5"x11" pages? BTW, my math says the 9.7" screens are 5.5"x8" or thereabouts
We don't know the Plastic Logic's exact screen size, but it is supposed to be ~150 ppi and if it is 1024 by 1280 (like the DR1000) this will be 6.8"x8.6". The diagonal size is then not quite right, but it is some where in this range.

We do know the 9.7" screen size by the way, it is 1200 x 825, 202.9 x 139.5 mm, or 226.4 mm (9.7") diagonal, see High Resolution Displays.

All the ~10" diagonal screens are about A5 (half of A4) in size. This means that you can show half a page at full size in landscape mode. However, for most people full page portrait mode will be ok if you clip the margins.

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-12-2009 at 10:24 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #22
MissDemeanor
MissDemeanor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
JSWolf: Is your Sony reader really red? I haven't seen that color. I have one of the early ones and love it -- but I expect to love my soon-to-arrive Kindle 2 even more.
MissDemeanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #23
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDemeanor View Post
JSWolf: Is your Sony reader really red? I haven't seen that color.
Aren't that many of them around. Books on Board was offering them again for Valentine's Day, but it looks like they're sold out.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
developers corner, kindle