Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #15751
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Well, I've now finished reading all 17 of Tony Hillerman's Navajo Mysterys with the completion of Skeleton Man. To pay a visit to those old friends from now on I'll have to re-read, which is okay since I usually enjoy re-reading.
Aren't there 18 Hillerman Navajo books? Which one did you miss?
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #15752
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Shape Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Aren't there 18 Hillerman Navajo books? Which one did you miss?
you're correct, The Shape Shifter!! Whoopee!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #15753
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Himmler's War by Robert Conroy-

''Only days after Normandy, Hitler is taken out of the equation and Heinrich Himmler, brutal head of the SS, assumes control of the Reich.* On the Allied side, there is confusion.* Should attempts be made to negotiate with the new government or should unconditional surrender still be the only option?* With the specter of a German super-weapon moving closer to completion and the German generals finally allowed to fight the kind of war at which they are masters, the Allies are pushed toward a course of accommodation or even defeat.* Will the soldiers of the Grand Alliance find the courage and conviction to fight on in the face of such daunting odds?* And can the Allied leaders put into place a new plan in time to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat by the German war machine?* A new and terrible battle for the free world is on.''
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #15754
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Next up: The unlikely pilgrimage of Harrold Fry by Rachel Joyce.
Another fantastic read. Very entertaining. I couldn't help but to sympathise with the main character and to care for his journey. The end was not that spectacular or surprising though. Still highly recommended.
Next up: Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children by Ransom Riggs. I can't remember the last time I read horror, if ever. I'm curious to see how I'll like it.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #15755
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm currently 53% of the way through The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1) and am sad to say that right now, I'm not impressed. While the world and its fea/supernatural characters are fascinating, the main character, Meghan, is annoyingly weak and willfully stupid; especially for a 16 year old girl. Where is that teenage stubbornness and fight?

This is a
Spoiler:
You would think that a girl whose life has been turned upside down and whose surroundings have become dangerous would try to be more observant, try to learn as much as possible and would definitely ask a lot more questions, instead of just bumbling along. I understand her concern and desperation to get to her brother, but if you're repeatedly told, don't eat anything and don't talk to anyone, don't use you "real" name, don't make promises, etc. don't you think you'd take a second to get the lay of the land and learn the rules of the game? Instead, she's having full blown temper tantrums of denial and self pity.

I'm beginning to see why some compare her to Bella Swan from Twilight.

I really hope she gets her act together and quickly.
Quote:

I'm hoping Meghan takes a "big girl pill" soon. The story has been interesting and many of the other characters have been quite enjoyable.
Meghan was able to redeem herself in the end. I expect to revisit the series at some point. Its just not high on my list right now.

Next, I'm trying to decide if I want to go back to The Hunger Games with Book#2 ~Catching Fire, go back to Amber with Book#4 ~ The Hand of Oberon or read Geekomancy, which has been high up on my TBR for a month or two.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #15756
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Meghan was able to redeem herself in the end. I expect to revisit the series at some point. Its just not high on my list right now.

Next, I'm trying to decide if I want to go back to The Hunger Games with Book#2 ~Catching Fire, go back to Amber with Book#4 ~ The Hand of Oberon or read Geekomancy, which has been high up on my TBR for a month or two.
Go with Geekomancy and let us know what you think! You can continue the others series at any time.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #15757
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post

Next up: Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children by Ransom Riggs. I can't remember the last time I read horror, if ever. I'm curious to see how I'll like it.
I read that a while ago, an enjoyable read, but I wouldn't call it horror.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #15758
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Go with Geekomancy and let us know what you think! You can continue the others series at any time.
Thats exactly what I did and its entertaining so far. The constant stream of popculture will either amuse you or annoy you, but the premise is fun!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #15759
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I finished reading the horrible book that was supposed to be a good choice for fans of Downton Abbey. I have no idea why I read it. The author was Fay Weldon and I think it was called Habits of the House.

I really liked Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

The e-book for Beautiful Creatures was on sale, and while I'm not in the mood for YA romance (ugh), I've had enough recommendations that I'm going to try it. It isn't just a romance, I've been told. We'll see.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #15760
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Asimov's SF, April-May 2013 by Dell Magazine Authors.
A slightly above-average issue, most particularly for "Warlord" a splendid Novellette, and all the short stories were good.

Next up: Analog SFF, May 2013 by Dell Magazine Authors
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #15761
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I really liked Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.
I think I'm ging to have to try this one at some point. Its been mentioned quite a bit, lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
The e-book for Beautiful Creatures was on sale, and while I'm not in the mood for YA romance (ugh), I've had enough recommendations that I'm going to try it. It isn't just a romance, I've been told. We'll see.
I took advantage of the sale as well. Reviews seem to be quite varied. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #15762
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I finished proofing Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park" last night (I'll upload it to the MR library in the next day or so). I have to say that I have mixed feelings about this one. It's almost unquestionably the toughest of Jane Austen's novels for the modern reader to feel empathy for the protagonist, Fanny Price, because the values she holds dear (which are basically that a woman should be submissive, obedient to those in power over her, and regard virtue as her primarily consideration) are so alien to modern society. Eg, she is shocked and horrified by the scandalous idea that her cousins want to put on a play in their house while their father is absent (and, in fact, the play indirectly leads to one of her cousins, who has recently married, running away with another man, so she is proved right).

I enjoyed the book very much in the end, but it's far from being an easy read.

As a matter of interest, Fanny's appalling Aunt in the book, "Mrs Norris", who pokes her nose into everything that doesn't concern her, was the inspiration for the caretaker's cat of the same name in the "Harry Potter" books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #15763
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Starting Barbara Tuchman's Guns of August
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #15764
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just finished "The Misremembered Man," by Christina McKenna, which was on sale about 2 weeks ago.

I cherish this novel for its insight into the human condition. It's a warm novel rich in human understanding, but also one that showcases much evil.

It's a beautiful novel that that I wholeheartedly recommend.

Check out the reviews on Amazon and see if it's something that you might find interesting.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #15765
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Starting Barbara Tuchman's Guns of August
A wonderful historical read - I read it this past summer - it's amazing how she deftly handles all the personalities & incidents leading up to WW I!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote