Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
CaseyAve
DoubleDeception.com
CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CaseyAve can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kindle
I need an Author Tip!! How do you spell a scream?

Let me start by saying that I have done my homework. I've re-read my favorite books and even googled it, but I must be missing some clear and concise way to spell a scream. Yes that's right- a scream!

My daughter's books are pretty consistantly "AARRGH!" But I've seen them several different ways, such as "AAAAH" and "AAAWW" and just the plain old no double letter "ARGH."

Is it just up to me and the sound that I am trying to mimic? Or is it some unwritten rule that I am unaware of. I'm trying to clean up the grammar and spelling in my book and wonder if I'm breaking some rule.

How do you spell a scream? Thanks guys!
CaseyAve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I am partial to AAaiiee for a scream that rises in pitch.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I think it's entirely up to you how you spell it.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Harlan Ellison might know, but then again he might not be able to tell you.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyAve View Post
My daughter's books are pretty consistantly "AARRGH!" But I've seen them several different ways, such as "AAAAH" and "AAAWW" and just the plain old no double letter "ARGH."

I could be WAY off, but I think "Argh" and the various spellings there off are more yells of frustration, while "aaaah" /"aaaww"/etc are more screams of fear.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I could be WAY off, but I think "Argh" and the various spellings there off are more yells of frustration, while "aaaah" /"aaaww"/etc are more screams of fear.
And Aieeeee! as noted by Phogg is a high pitched shriek.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
You could justify buying a big stack of Tales From The Crypt and Creepshow comics as "research."
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
TonyR
Connoisseur
TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, Jetbook Lite, iPod Touch
Hi there.

If what you're writing is a comic book (or maybe I should say "graphic novel") then some variation on "Aiieee!" will probably do. But if you're writing a story or a novel, you'd probably be better off not trying to spell out a scream but using narrative instead to say the character screamed. Could be my imagination's just limited these days, but I can't think of a way to spell it out that doesn't have that comic balloon feel and that's probably not what you want for prose fiction.

My two cents, for what it's worth.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I think it's really better to describe it than to spell it, but it's up to you. As for my two cents..

"Argh" is more frustration than a scream.

"Aaie" is someone with a squeaky voice. Mostly a child or a woman.

"Aww" would be either used for pity "Aww, there there", or a reaction to something cute. "Aww, look at those two"

"Aaah" would be a scream of surprise or fear
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Depends what the scream sounds like, but "aaaah!" is probably the most common and should be understood by anyone. Add extra "aaa" for how long it lasts.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If I was writing a comic book, I'd be concerned about how to spell a scream. For a novel, I'd just write "He/she screamed," maybe add a bit of detail about what kind of scream (pained, frightened, panicked, etc) and don't worry about the spelling.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Spoil sport. Didn't Charlie Brown scream "Waugh?"
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
If I was writing a comic book, I'd be concerned about how to spell a scream. For a novel, I'd just write "He/she screamed," maybe add a bit of detail about what kind of scream (pained, frightened, panicked, etc) and don't worry about the spelling.
There are some authors who have used the sound of a scream (or a shriek, as is the case with my example) to great effect. L.E. Modesitt Jr. is one of them.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
There are some authors who have used the sound of a scream (or a shriek, as is the case with my example) to great effect. L.E. Modesitt Jr. is one of them.
Meh. Well, not really, but to me (and others), onomatopoeia often comes across as stilted and artificial in novels. Gimmicky. Describing a sound (and allowing the reader to mentally fill in the blank) is much more satisfying to me than reading, "Eeeyyaaauuugghhhhh!" "Crash!" "Be-bump-bump-bump... blop!"

That's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Spoil sport. Didn't Charlie Brown scream "Waugh?"
Like I said, that's a comic. In comics, it's okay, because everything is distorted for sequential art.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-12-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #15
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Meh. Well, not really, but to me (and others), onomatopoeia often comes across as stilted and artificial in novels. Gimmicky. Describing a sound (and allowing the reader to mentally fill in the blank) is much more satisfying to me than reading, "Eeeyyaaauuugghhhhh!" "Crash!" "Be-bump-bump-bump... blop!"

That's me.
I don't necessarily disagree--you're certainly right about the fact that it's about how you do it.

Execution counts.

Tags
author, editing, scream, tip