Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #16
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Nope. Sword of Truth did absolutely nothing for me either.

...and that was even before I discovered that Goodkind was a proselytizing, egotistical ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post

Re-read my post
Noted
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #17
earlycj5
earlycj5 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Am I the only person who hasn't been able to get into Goodkind? I bought a HB copy of the Sword of Truth (I think) that had two other stories - one with an elf-girl who turns into a tree (?!) and something else. They all kind of ran together to me and made no real sense. Let me dig my copy up when I get home. It might be something I'll put in the bookswap at Goodreads.
You're confusing Terry Goodkind with Terry Brooks there.
earlycj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #18
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I'll always associate Terry Goodkind with evil manifest chickens. It turns out he's another one of those authors who claims he doesn't write (gasp!) fantasy, just books that happen to have wizards and dragons and magic in them.

People do say that the TV show based on his work is fairly decent.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlycj5 View Post
You're confusing Terry Goodkind with Terry Brooks there.
Too many Terrys, not enough time.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #20
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
The only Terry you need to be familiar with is Pratchett.

I've read both Goodkind and Brooks, back when I was about 14 (but still not a boy named Kevin). They were pretty good, but definitely in the Eddings oeuvre [1]. I can't remember how far I got with Goodkind - pretty sure at least the first 3 before I got bored with it. I did like Brooks' Shannara and Magic Kingdom, but wouldn't read them again.

[1] My classification for fantasy novels/series that seem good until you either grow up or read enough fantasy that you find much better stuff elsewhere.

With regards to ebooks not being available, we are still in fairly early days. I would say that publishers are more focussed on putting the newest stuff out first, and gradually working their way through the backlog of earlier stuff. Who knows how they're prioritising that order? THe easiest for them is to go backwards by year - and in a lot of ways that makes sense. The books are still fresh in people's minds, readers are still talking about them and wanting to buy. While this means that series books come out in reverse order, it's really a problem mostly affecting SFF. Other genres may have long-running series, but more often than not they are standalones with the same setting and recurring characters - you don't HAVE to read them in order as you do with SFF. And the last time I was in a B&M bookstore, the SFF section was pretty small.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #21
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
The only Terry you need to be familiar with is Pratchett.

I've read both Goodkind and Brooks, back when I was about 14 (but still not a boy named Kevin). They were pretty good, but definitely in the Eddings oeuvre [1]. I can't remember how far I got with Goodkind - pretty sure at least the first 3 before I got bored with it. I did like Brooks' Shannara and Magic Kingdom, but wouldn't read them again.

[1] My classification for fantasy novels/series that seem good until you either grow up or read enough fantasy that you find much better stuff elsewhere.
I like Eddings - well, some of it. He's real good for recycling the same characters and plots over and over again. I can't read his newer stuff at all.

I don't think I've read too much Pratchett. Discworld, right? I have book 1 in my TBR pile.

Quote:
With regards to ebooks not being available, we are still in fairly early days. I would say that publishers are more focussed on putting the newest stuff out first, and gradually working their way through the backlog of earlier stuff. Who knows how they're prioritising that order? THe easiest for them is to go backwards by year - and in a lot of ways that makes sense. The books are still fresh in people's minds, readers are still talking about them and wanting to buy. While this means that series books come out in reverse order, it's really a problem mostly affecting SFF. Other genres may have long-running series, but more often than not they are standalones with the same setting and recurring characters - you don't HAVE to read them in order as you do with SFF. And the last time I was in a B&M bookstore, the SFF section was pretty small.
Too true, they are very sparce. You can't even find classics or full series in my closest B&M.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I like Eddings - well, some of it. He's real good for recycling the same characters and plots over and over again. I can't read his newer stuff at all.
Have you read The Redemption of Althalus
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Have you read The Redemption of Althalus
I bought it! I tried to give it away after I read it, my friend read about half and gave it back.

Last edited by MrsJoseph; 01-22-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: html
Old 01-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I bought it! I tried to give it away after I read it, my friend read about half and gave it back.
Ah. We have fallen into the same trap then. Poor us.
I bought it (hardback!!!) too...and it went back to the same second hand book. I would pay them to take it...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #25
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Ah. We have fallen into the same trap then. Poor us.
I bought it (hardback!!!) too...and it went back to the same second hand book. I would pay them to take it...
I have the hardback, too. I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.