Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 03:05 AM   #61
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezzZ View Post
don't forget to change the
where name='androidId'
ID too. It has to bee your IQ ID which is most likely: 'PocketBook'
You can get your ID with the following command:
Code:
adb devices
At least, that's what I always thought . Can't try now
... I am sooooo getting an iPad ......
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #62
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it has to stay 'androiID' or the ID will not be recognized and implemented in the IQ (I tried).

Which brings me to my next point: that's it for me for now, I don't see this working at all for the time being. I guess my Emulator will have to keep on working for a while, although after experimenting a lot with Android I like it but really think it is not "there" yet. And since I don't see us getting a 2.2 Android Version anytime soon (which is ironic, considering 3.0 is around the corner), I will probably stay on this impression for a while. Seriously, apple iOS may indeed be restrictive, but it does work flawlessly (at least it does on my iphone, not even jailbroken) ....
Old 12-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #63
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
... I am sooooo getting an iPad ......
That is a way to look at it.

We all tend to forget a few things when we deal with Android tablets:

1) the IQ was designed to be more of a Reader than a tablet (same with the Pandigital Novel);

2) Android was designed with smartphones in mind. Tablets are a whole different beast and won't supported until Honeycomb (supposed to be out in Q1 '11);

3) The firmware in the IQ uses the generic Google vendorId so we do not know where it is coming from and that it is not from a Google authorized vendor (that is why we need to get the android ID from the emulator).

I know you all wished Market would magically appear but it took me about ... no less than 6 tries to get it right.

What we will do is try to troubleshoot everyone and see where you are at:

1) can you install the Android SDK and communicate with the IQ (USB debbuging on)?

1.a) Did you change the seetings for your system folder to read/write?

2) Can you get the androidId out of the emulator's accounts.db file? (maybe the previous tutorial was a bit confusing. Here is another one with pictures: Fix Market for Slates/Tablets).

3) Can you update the gls.db with the androidId? (only change the intvalue, nothing else).

4) Can you successfully push the files over to the device and set permissions?

5) Are you able to setup a Google account?

6) Can you start Google Talk?

7) Can you start Market?

8) So you have a Server unavailable error? If so, go to setting - applications - managing applications - Filter (Running). Select Market, press Force Close and Clear data. do the same with Download Manager. Next, clear the Dalvk-cache (as showed in the adb shell step). Then, ADB reboot and unplug the USB cable.

I hope this will help. I feel so bad to be able to get Market and see all of you struggling to get it working. I sincerely hope this will help all of you.

Last edited by Icewyng; 12-28-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #64
RezzZ
Connoisseur
RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.

Device: IQ
there was a froyo update scheduled for december 2010.... SOURCE

@Icewyng
perhaps it is related to the build.prop file? Could it be device specific? Perhaps someone can try not pushing that file and change the few lines that were changed/added??:
ro.build.version.sdk=7 (this was 5)
ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED (was something else )
add the following on the bottom:
xmpp.auto-presence=true
ro.config.nocheckin=1
RezzZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #65
hiaig
Addict
hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hiaig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetbook and PocketBook IQ
the "Android Market" hack is interesting but not particularly useful for me since most of the free applications can be downloaded elsewhere.

I was more interested in the app2sd hack to increase space for more apps. I was able to get it working as long as I don't turn off the device and reboot. Upon reboot, the IQ gets stuck in bootloader and needs to be reflash.

So neither hack is working properly on our IQ.
hiaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #66
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezzZ View Post
there was a froyo update scheduled for december 2010.... SOURCE

@Icewyng
perhaps it is related to the build.prop file? Could it be device specific? Perhaps someone can try not pushing that file and change the few lines that were changed/added??:
ro.build.version.sdk=7 (this was 5)
ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED (was something else )
add the following on the bottom:
xmpp.auto-presence=true
ro.config.nocheckin=1
I guess you could do that as well. It might work... have you done this yourself?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #67
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiaig View Post
I was more interested in the app2sd hack to increase space for more apps. I was able to get it working as long as I don't turn off the device and reboot. Upon reboot, the IQ gets stuck in bootloader and needs to be reflash.
Guess I will have to take a look at that as well... never hurts to try to fix it.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #68
RezzZ
Connoisseur
RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.RezzZ is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
I guess you could do that as well. It might work... have you done this yourself?
no, when I tried that my device went nuts
Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #69
Icewyng
Addict

Right... what you need to do is to check what happens at bootup. Do you have Eclipse installed? If not, we could do that with adb logcat... let's try:

adb logcat -v thread

If you see any errors, note them and let me know.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #70
katzki
Zealot
katzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enoughkatzki will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs 650
Gave up..

I gave up installing market on my IQ at least until the Froyo upgrade is realized. That mindset gives me some comfort

By the way.. Kind of ...
I actuallly gave up installing market on my IQ but started installing market on my desktop as I thought I got used to the ADB thing.
Actually, it works on my desktop but with a big problem.
The market shows so small number of apps that I even cannot search the Kindle for android app there. I didn't count but guess the number of apps I can access is less than 1000.. What happened here? I'm very sad that I cannot completely access to the market even with my desktop. T_T
katzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #71
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:

What we will do is try to troubleshoot everyone and see where you are at:

1) can you install the Android SDK and communicate with the IQ (USB debbuging on)?

1.a) Did you change the seetings for your system folder to read/write?

2) Can you get the androidId out of the emulator's accounts.db file? (maybe the previous tutorial was a bit confusing. Here is another one with pictures: Fix Market for Slates/Tablets).

3) Can you update the gls.db with the androidId? (only change the intvalue, nothing else).

4) Can you successfully push the files over to the device and set permissions?

5) Are you able to setup a Google account?

6) Can you start Google Talk?

7) Can you start Market?

8) So you have a Server unavailable error? If so, go to setting - applications - managing applications - Filter (Running). Select Market, press Force Close and Clear data. do the same with Download Manager. Next, clear the Dalvk-cache (as showed in the adb shell step). Then, ADB reboot and unplug the USB cable.
Nope, did all that, still not working. Don't feel bad, you helped enormously, really ! I am starting to think maybe it has something to do with regions ? I know people over here in Europe seem to have more pb with the Market as you guys over the ocean, so maybe there is sthing there. Or maybe my Aura is not good enough, or the IQ hates my perfume...or I am not wearing the right shoes .... Yeah... the shoes. Note to self: need new shoes
Old 12-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #72
RezzZ
Connoisseur

perhaps someone can try market enabler to cheat marktet saying your on the t-mobile network...
Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #73
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Nope, did all that, still not working. Don't feel bad, you helped enormously, really ! I am starting to think maybe it has something to do with regions ? I know people over here in Europe seem to have more pb with the Market as you guys over the ocean, so maybe there is sthing there. Or maybe my Aura is not good enough, or the IQ hates my perfume...or I am not wearing the right shoes .... Yeah... the shoes. Note to self: need new shoes

Hehehe... has to be the shoes.

Android is very technical since it is based on Linux. I use Linux so I guess that helps. Also, I think the number of IQs over in North America seems to be fairly limited from what I can tell.

Since I do not speak german or russian, I have no idea what is going on over in Europe on that front. It is a shame that info on the various PB devices seems so fragmented because of the language barrier. We would need to find a way to get all the information. Translators? anyone?

As for Froyo, the Novel has a beta for it and works so I would assume it would be feasible on the IQ. I guess with some modifications... we can only dream!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #74
Icewyng
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzki View Post
I gave up installing market on my IQ at least until the Froyo upgrade is realized. That mindset gives me some comfort

By the way.. Kind of ...
I actuallly gave up installing market on my IQ but started installing market on my desktop as I thought I got used to the ADB thing.
Actually, it works on my desktop but with a big problem.
The market shows so small number of apps that I even cannot search the Kindle for android app there. I didn't count but guess the number of apps I can access is less than 1000.. What happened here? I'm very sad that I cannot completely access to the market even with my desktop. T_T
That is not normal at all. I get so many apps and it doesn't seem region locked for me... did you copy the system.img from the tutorial in the emulator?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #75
RezzZ
Connoisseur

Quote:
Since I do not speak german or russian, I have no idea what is going on over in Europe on that front. It is a shame that info on the various PB devices seems so fragmented because of the language barrier. We would need to find a way to get all the information. Translators? anyone?
If you use chrome you can read complete sites in te language you want . Granted, grammar suck but it's doable