Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
Smile Screen refresh on KOBO

Is there anything in the pipeline to speed up the black flash between page turns that any one has heard about. Its made it hard for me to continue reading on the KOBO. Im spoilt from using another brand of reader that barely flickers on page turn, but have two Kobos in my Household.

If its a hardware issue and never to be resolved, I would like to know.

Thanks
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Must be a personal thing. I find the page transition best by far on the kobo. It's god-awful on the Nook and Kindle.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I suspect the black flash is hardware dependent but the current lag between page turn button presses and actual page turns could be fixed in software.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
I suspect the black flash is hardware dependent but the current lag between page turn button presses and actual page turns could be fixed in software.
There are some software fixes to reduce the flash. Shifting from performing a full screen refresh per page turn to a partial will reduce the black flash, but increase the amount of noticable ghosting on the screen. Some readers, and I think the Kogan does, is do a partial refresh for a number of pages followed by a full.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Don't really notice it myself. Turning the pages in a "real" book takes time, too.

Last edited by corona; 08-25-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: added cheerfulness
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
Don't really notice it myself. Turning the pages in a "real" book takes time, too.
Good point.

I don't notice it either but friends who have seen my Kobo can't stand the black/white change over. I think it is a very personal issue which obviously impacts more on some individuals.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
When I bought mine, which was on the first day they came out, there was a lady looking at the display models who seemed distressed by the black flicker. So I spent a little time with one turning pages to see if it would bug me.

My conclusion was pretty much the same as corona's. I don't find it any more disruptive than turning pages in a pbook. Although, to be fair, there's a lot me page flips with a Kobo than a pbook.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Vzzzbx
Connoisseur
Vzzzbx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm so fidgety that I can't stand ticking or flashing clocks, but this black flash doesn't bother me at all. I've only had the Kobo a week and I don't even notice it now.

Last edited by Vzzzbx; 08-26-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Vzzzbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
JPenguin
Connoisseur

I'd love if the lag between button-pushes could be reduced, that irritates me a little bit but I have gotten completely used to the flashing screen. Not that I would complain of a faster flash/less flashes.

Like other's have said it's not like turning pages in a paper book is instantaneous but on the other hand you don't have to change the page when you get to 2 lines left on the page either
Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #10
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
2 lines? Wow you're a fast reader - for me it's half a line.

Or maybe your font is really REALLY BIG
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Must be a personal thing. I find the page transition best by far on the kobo. It's god-awful on the Nook and Kindle.
The nook and Kindle have faster page refreshes than the Kobo. What do you find "God-awful" about them?
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
JPenguin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
2 lines? Wow you're a fast reader - for me it's half a line.

Or maybe your font is really REALLY BIG
Nope, small or smallest font but I think I've read people hypothesizing about the page turn rate being a bit dependent on the specific ePubs. I am speed reading this set of books too but even with others I've found it's at least 1 line ahead.

Regardless I'm not completely dissatisfied with the current performance but any improvements would be nice.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
My own independent, peer-non-reviewed, published study:

On a "real" hardcover book, it takes longer to moisten an index finger, reach up and access only one page - turn the page - and use the other hand to properly place the turned page --- than it takes a Kobo to refresh a page. And only my wife - in my study - has mastered the "one-handed page turn on a hardcover book" maneuver, whereas, of course, Kobos require only one hand to turn a page.

And in the same study, I found that the occurrence of "paper cuts" was almost eliminated by the use of a Kobo versus hardcover books. (There was one guy who received a paper cut while reading the "Kobo Quick Start" brochure.)

Long live Kobo.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #14
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
The nook and Kindle have faster page refreshes than the Kobo. What do you find "God-awful" about them?
"Faster" in terms of milliseconds. They're all so fast compared to physical page turns the comparisons are laughable IMO. The nook has an annoying flicker during page turns - not the clean screen wipe, then paint the kobo does. Earlier kindles flickered too but I haven't seen the newest gen yet.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, flash, refresh, screen, update