Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
ryancolm
ryancolm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Keep getting "Page Error" on epub file when I open it on my PRS-300 (filesize > 25MB)

Hi all
I'm playing around with Sigil (wonderful tool!) and my, eh, resulting file is about 25.5 MB in size. (It's the Divine Comedy, available on the Mobileread forums, and the file originally weighs in at 34 MB but I took out all the languages except one and many of the images etc.)

So. I can browse the file in Sigil, and in Adobe DE, but when I open it on my Sony PRS300, after the table of contents I always get "Page Error".

I've looked at the page code and it looks all right to me...
Is the file still too big for the PRS300, at 25.5 MB?
All help appreciated! TIA
ryancolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If I remember correctly the Sonys (maybe just older models?) have a filesize limit where a every single flow (text file inside the .epub, not the whole .epub) must be below 100 KB compressed and 300 KB uncompressed. The files in the Divine Comedy are above 300 KB, so you'll probably have to split them to work in your reader. I haven't used Sigil, but I'm sure it's quite easy to split the files there (look for "insert chapter break" or similar).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
ryancolm

Now that makes sense. Thankee v. kindly, sir.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
If I remember correctly the Sonys (maybe just older models?) have a filesize limit where a every single flow (text file inside the .epub, not the whole .epub) must be below 100 KB compressed and 300 KB uncompressed. The files in the Divine Comedy are above 300 KB, so you'll probably have to split them to work in your reader. I haven't used Sigil, but I'm sure it's quite easy to split the files there (look for "insert chapter break" or similar).
Very easy except that Sigil does not give you a character count to go by to help pick the split point. (Valloric: can we have a byte count next to each segment name in the "book browser" without much pain?)

Set the insert point AT THE END (newline) of the line you wish to split -off after.

Note: setting the insert point in the middle of a line results in
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
ryancolm

Success! Thanks for your valuable advice. Er, should Dante be as slow as death on my PRS300?
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancolm View Post
Success! Thanks for your valuable advice. Er, should Dante be as slow as death on my PRS300?
Is there enough Oxygen to feed the flames

Lean and mean on styles and changes (their use) to avoid a hit on e-reader performance.
Most of the novels I read, have style sheets under 200 lines (unwrapped). That includes books with simple drop caps, styled chapter headers.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
ryancolm

Ah. I've fixed it now. Well, kind of, anyway. All I wanted was an Italian-only Divine Comedy with illustrations, and thanks to the help I've got from the community that's what I now have. Much obliged to you all.