Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
can't find metadata.db

I'm trying to backup my Calibre Library and settings and I've found everything but the metadata.db file. Where is it supposed to be located?

I'd appreciate any and all help,
thanks!
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
It's in the \My Documents\Calibre Library\ for Windows
or \home\Calibre Library\ for linux
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I'm trying to backup my Calibre Library and settings and I've found everything but the metadata.db file. Where is it supposed to be located?

thanks!
Those 2 places tulsa gave are the default places.

It is where you configured Calibre to put your library

Look in th comments section of the library browsser.
The path to the title is shown. Metadata.db is in the directory below the Author name
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Go into the configuration/preferences. It shows where your ebooks are stored. That folder will contain your metadata.db file.

See attached pic.

BOb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-03-23 at 6.11.22 PM.png
Views:	242
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	48594  
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Alternatively go into Preferences and see where your library folder is currently located.

Note that it is possible to have your metadata.db file outside your library folder but then you would be aware of its location as in such a case you have to take special action when launching Calibre to tell it where the metadata.db file is located.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Go into the configuration/preferences. It shows where your ebooks are stored. That folder will contain your metadata.db file.

See attached pic.

BOb
Thanks! this helped. It didn't occur to me to look in the location of where I'm storing the ebooks.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:

thanks!
I think the best way to back up your Cailbre library might be the Save to Disk feature.

The following is from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Every now and then I select every book and do a save to disk. As Bob said this does save all your metadata. I have deleted all of my books and then added from my save to disk directory (to test) and everything was recreated. All summaries, series authors etc...
As stated I have used the Save to Disk feature to back up my library then deleted everything and restored the saved files using the Add books from directories, including sub-directories (one book per directory ...) drop down option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Just a reminder for others: For this to work, there are two options in the Preferences|Save that have to be on. They are the two that start with "Save," namely the "Save metadata in OPF file" and the Save cover separately." Otherwise, you may lose the cover or metadata. Fortunately, they are on by default.
Starson17 was polite enough to point out the above as a warning. Make sure those options are checked prior to saving.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I think the best way to back up your Cailbre library might be the Save to Disk feature.

Starson17 was polite enough to point out the above as a warning. Make sure those options are checked prior to saving.
Thanks for the heads up!