Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
roytravis
Enthusiast
roytravis is on a distinguished road

Device: hanlin
Bookmark Page Hanlin V3

This is my first post in these forum so let me start by saying I am a very happy Hanlin owner and would like to acknowledge the help and advice I received from cbell.
Now to my problem, I have not found the way to use the bookmark page. I have read the user notes but must be missing something.
I cannot find the bookmark page menu. I fluked it once and enterred a bookmark but have neen unable to find the menu again and therefore cannot delete it.
Any help appreciated.
roytravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Hi roytravis! I'm so glad you've joined us here.

Try a long press on 6 to view your bookmarks (pdf, not mobi) while you're in the document.

Oh, and when you're adding/deleting bookmarks, have the document open and press 1 to set/remove the first bookmark, press 2 to set/remove the second bookmark, etc.

Last edited by cbell; 01-16-2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason: added extra line :)
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In the MOBI format only, bookmarks are different:

Hit the 6 key, then OK then 1 (Add Bookmark) then EXIT (next to OK). To access the bookmark, hit the 6 key and select from the list.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
By, the way, reading fb2 or rtf go to settings (Ok and 6), press right arrow to show more options and activate option 6 (show bookmarks icons) and choose status bar in the header of the page in option 7.

In the status bar now you will see the active bookmarks.

Hope this helps,

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
roytravis
Enthusiast

Thank you for your input everybody, bookmarks are no longer a mystery. As you point out Wallcraft the function is different in Mobi format.
Leandroide I am unable to bring up the option you describe, perhaps that is also a mobi format thing,
Advert
Old 01-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
leandroide
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by roytravis View Post
Thank you for your input everybody, bookmarks are no longer a mystery. As you point out Wallcraft the function is different in Mobi format.
Leandroide I am unable to bring up the option you describe, perhaps that is also a mobi format thing,
No... it is not.

Reading fb2 books, now I see numbers inside a circle at the top left corner of the screen (just beside the author name).

Beware that when you invoke the settings window, it has two parts: with left/right arrow you can choose what part are you using.

L.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
roytravis
Enthusiast

leandroide, thank you again for taking an interest in my problem, however I cannot see the information you describe. On my reading page there is nothing in the top left hand corner other than the text. In the settings window the left, right arrow keys have no function and the window is not in two parts.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
leandroide
Zealot

Mmm... that's strange

What firmware do you have?

L.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
roytravis
Enthusiast

Firmware version V2.01.081204
Old 01-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Hi roytravis, there was a firmware update a few days after the one you have loaded. Its called V2.01EN 2008-12-12 and its at:
http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...ice/update.asp.

It improves Mobi support, but I don't know if it affects bookmarks.

You can come and see me again and I'll do the update for you, if you'd prefer. I have the update file.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
roytravis
Enthusiast

Thanks cbell, I am loading it down now. I will let you know how I go.
I have a number of book files on my sd card however there is enough space left. Do you know if it is alright to load the new file on that card or should it be a blank one?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
cbell
Frenetic

I've successfully done the HanLin update with other files included on the SD card.

Please ensure you have a backup of all the books/documents you've loaded on your HanLin before you start the update.

I believe you're using a 2GB SD card for your update, so it'll be good to have your confirmation that this works OK. (I'm confident it will, even though the recommended size for updating is up to 1GB).
Old 01-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
roytravis
Enthusiast

Hi cbell yes I am using a 2gb card. I have successfully loaded down the update onto my PC and then onto the sd card. I started the update on the reader and came up with n error that the file was invalid. The file is not compressed, ie a zip file and the reader starts the update process. Is there a trick to loading the file to the root directory? Any thoughts?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
cbell
Frenetic

I've received that message before and I'm trying to think in what context. It might have been when attempting to load an update over the same version as the update - not the problem in this case.

A simple thing to try is to remove all files from your SD card, format it FAT, and load the upload file on its own in the root of the SD.

I'm off to lunch now (its a beautiful day in Melbourne). I'll contact you tomorrow and we can work out a solution. Hope you find time to sit outside and read this afternoon!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #15
leandroide
Zealot

My reader has the firmware V2.01NL.081211, from bebook, but I think this should work in any recent firmware:

When you are reading a book (fb2):
1. Press Ok
2. Press 6 (Settings...). A menu appears where option 1 is "Default font face"
3. Press 0. The menu changes and now option 1 is "Footnotes at page bottom"
4. In this menu, use option 6 (Show bookmark icons: On) and option 7 (Status line: Top)

Now, you should see something like the attached image. There are two bookmarks.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bookmarks.png
Views:	358
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	21565