Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
user titles (confused member)

after a person’s on-line id is another phrase. i guess a description of that person. i’m a bookworm. zelot, wizard, ebook enthusiast and geek i get. even edugeek makes sense. addict makes a little sense although i wouldn’t go around bragging about that title.

axel77 claims to be an evangelist
acidzebra is an i.p. heretic. is that acid as in lsd?
what is rwood’s technogeezer mean anyway?
what is rickymaveety’s duckbilled armadillopuss? is that what the drawing is?
taylor514ace’s macro-cephalic weirdo is confusing, at least the part before the weirdo.
dave berk claims to be a groupie although the last one i saw had far too much make-up on, a very short skirt, and didn’t smoke a pipe. other stuff, yes, a pipe, no.
and this natch character is a gizmologist, ambassador?

could someone explain these strange and fanciful titles to me?
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
If you want to know how the user titles are customised; it's under
Your Control Panel / Your Profile / Edit Your Details / Custom User Title

If you want to know why certain members have chosen certain titles; I'm afraid I'm not qualified to help .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
UncleDuke, if you don't go into your control panel and alter your User Title, the Forum automatically assigns one to you based on the number of posts you have. I know mine changed to Wizard when I went over 1000 posts. At least I think that's how it works.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If I read the question right, Duke is asking what my "Technogeezer" title means. (I discount that he is asking about how to do it since he has selected "Bookworm" for himself as it is not a standard MobileRead terms based on number of posts.)

Here goes. Years ago CrossCourt (he was a former professional tennis player turned computer geek and gamer) and I were the senior (in age) members of a technical forum and coined the term "technogeezer" to describe ourselves and to set us apart from the young kids in the forum. When I had the chance to select a custom title here at MobileRead, it seemed a good place to use it. It means just what it says. I am in my 50s and I have been playing with computers for over 40 years.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
And Tayor's avatar does actually have a big head. He's not called Planet Head for nothing. Hence macro-encaphelic.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Yup ... the duckbilled armadillopuss is the creature in my avatar. It sort of evolved over time.

It started with me saying "well, call me an armadillo" and then Zeep called me an armadillo ... and after that my title was "the Dred Armadillo Ricky" ... then the duck bill was added in support of Daffy4u ... and the beanie was in support of Montnmags.

And the title changed to reflect the avatar change.

Tadaaaa!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
the user titles are funny but the stories behind them are the best part. i've just realised my title no longer makes any sense with my current avatar but i'm going to keep it because it's so brilliant : patricia gave it to me.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I use mine to give a little oomph to the latest avatar transmogrification. In fact, I'm going to change mine to avatarial transmogrifier once I get this posted.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
No other word better describes my personality. At least not one I can think of off the top of my head.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm a gadget loving, patriotic Texan living in Tennessee. We decided that it was time to open diplomatic relations with our sister state, you see.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
y'all still need a passport to come out here to the left coast, california: the land of milk, honey, and taxes

i saw a karma fortune the other day about being an honarable texan, didn't know there was such a thing outside the oval office
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
and the beanie was in support of Montnmags.
Wow. "Support". The usual response by friends to police questioning is, "montsnmags?...nope, never heard of it. That's some kind of crotchal skin disease, isn't it?". I'm very touched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
the user titles are funny but the stories behind them are the best part. i've just realised my title no longer makes any sense with my current avatar but i'm going to keep it because it's so brilliant : patricia gave it to me.
I suggest a certain controlled use of short-term memory. Rewired so that after its minute retention period, only sufficient to make the title change, all gets washed clean to /dev/null rather than into permanent memory makes it much more interesting. When people say "Why are you an Interfenestral Monkey?" you can say "Who's a what now?" and back slowly away from the freak asking you weird questions.

Sorry, what was the question?

Cheers,
Marc (whose memory is so short that by the time he gets to the end of the sentence he's forgotten what he was ham and cheese sandwich with tomato sauce would be nice for lunch, wouldn't it?)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote