Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
crustacean
crustacean began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Virtual books

Hello everyone.

I'm new here and pretty clueless. I have installed Calibre. When I open 'Device' I see all my Kobo library books. If I pick one up and try to drop it onto the Calibre library, I get a message telling me

calibre, version 2.44.1
Not Implemented: The following books are virtual and cannot be added to the calibre library:

E:/.kobo/kepub/ea61f44c-24cf-498b-bc98-bbaf1a0f1998

I have googled 'what is a virtual book?' but get nothing that deals with the virtual book referred to in Calibre.

I have no idea what this means or how to deal with it. I would be very grateful for any help.
crustacean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
"Virtual book" is probably not a good term. I think it carries over from some other error message in calibre.

For Kobo ereaders it is referring to kepubs that have been downloaded from the Kobo server. The KoboTouch driver does not allow these books to be copied from the device to the library. This was done because calibre does not have much support for kepubs, so adding them to the library is pointless. And if the kepub has DRM, it is even less useful. Plus, nearly all the kepubs books can be downloaded as epubs from you library in the Kobo store. I think this is a better source for the books than the kepubs on the device.

Having said that, I might have to revisit this. There are plugins to do most of the support for kepubs, so copying them from the device isn't as pointless as it used to be. But, the DRM will still prevent these from being useful.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Having said that, I might have to revisit this. There are plugins to do most of the support for kepubs, so copying them from the device isn't as pointless as it used to be. But, the DRM will still prevent these from being useful.
Just as useless as the EPUBs and AZW3s with DRM, you mean?

Anyway, I am sure Apprentice Alf will take care of whatever DRM support is needed, independent of calibre's own codebase.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Just as useless as the EPUBs and AZW3s with DRM, you mean?

Anyway, I am sure Apprentice Alf will take care of whatever DRM support is needed, independent of calibre's own codebase.
Correct to both. But kepub de-DRMing works in a way that doesn't integrate as nicely as for the others.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Correct to both. But kepub de-DRMing works in a way that doesn't integrate as nicely as for the others.
Maybe, but my point was that calibre's job is to store an ebook. It shouldn't matter if the KEPUB is DRMed or not, if calibre supports KEPUB to whatever extent and you are considering allowing calibre to add them, then "But, the DRM will still prevent these from being useful" should not be part of the consideration.
Advert
Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Maybe, but my point was that calibre's job is to store an ebook. It shouldn't matter if the KEPUB is DRMed or not, if calibre supports KEPUB to whatever extent and you are considering allowing calibre to add them, then "But, the DRM will still prevent these from being useful" should not be part of the consideration.
When this was first put into the KoboTouch driver (inheriting from code in the base driver), calibre couldn't even extract any metadata from a kepub, so adding the book from the device didn't help much. And all the rest of the problems meant that it wasn't worthwhile spending any time on it. It was a lot better to tell people how to obtain the epub version of the book from Kobo.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #7
crustacean

Quote:
"Virtual book" is probably not a good term. I think it carries over from some other error message in calibre.

For Kobo ereaders it is referring to kepubs that have been downloaded from the Kobo server. The KoboTouch driver does not allow these books to be copied from the device to the library. This was done because calibre does not have much support for kepubs, so adding them to the library is pointless. And if the kepub has DRM, it is even less useful. Plus, nearly all the kepubs books can be downloaded as epubs from you library in the Kobo store. I think this is a better source for the books than the kepubs on the device.

Thanks for digging into this, compadres. Trouble is, I still don't understand what any of it means. I will hazard a wild guess.

The way these books are, in my Calibre > Device list, is in a form that Calibre doesn't deal with. So I should forget them, leave them on my Kobo and go off and do something else, like try to buy, import and de-DRM some Kindle books. This last is the reason I'm here at all.

Is this what you mean?
Old 11-27-2015, 06:53 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustacean View Post
Thanks for digging into this, compadres. Trouble is, I still don't understand what any of it means. I will hazard a wild guess.

The way these books are, in my Calibre > Device list, is in a form that Calibre doesn't deal with. So I should forget them, leave them on my Kobo and go off and do something else, like try to buy, import and de-DRM some Kindle books. This last is the reason I'm here at all.

Is this what you mean?
Yes, but as the books have been bought from Kobo, you can login to your account in the Kobo store and download them from there..
Old 11-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:

Is this what you mean?
Kind of.

What it really means is, that the book was downloaded in a form that calibre doesn't deal with, so you should go to the ebookstore you bought it from and download it directly.

In your case, KEPUBs can usually be downloaded directly from the website as EPUBs which calibre can deal with.
In the case of Amazon KFX, they can also be downloaded directly from the website, as AZW3 (if you have an E-Ink Kindle). Or downloaded as AZW3 through the Kindle for PC application.

No need to re-buy the book from another store.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
crustacean

Oh! Crikey!

Quote:
Kind of.

What it really means is, that the book was downloaded in a form that calibre doesn't deal with, so you should go to the ebookstore you bought it from and download it directly.

In your case, KEPUBs can usually be downloaded directly from the website as EPUBs which calibre can deal with.
In the case of Amazon KFX, they can also be downloaded directly from the website, as AZW3 (if you have an E-Ink Kindle). Or downloaded as AZW3 through the Kindle for PC application.

No need to re-buy the book from another store.
I was all set to do the belt n braces thing - get a Kindle as well. But Calibre is here to help avoid lashing out £79.99 on another gizmo with yet more charge leads - my suitcase for my 6 week trip to Spain looks like a snake pit of cables.

If I delete the stuff on my Kobo that I have obtained from Kobo, are you guys saying that I can get it all back from Kobo - again? Won't I still be up the same creek?

Sorry to be so clueless with this but not yet quite brain-dead - I did get 100% in my Morse Code and Astro-Navigation and 'Lights/Shapes/Flag Signals [best flag signal I ever heard of was "What have you done with the Admiral?"] for the D of Trade Offshore/Yacht Master ticket.

If we were in daylight at sea I'd be showing either two balls or three on a mast in line veritically. Two = 'Not under command' [ie clueless] or three [aground]

Last edited by crustacean; 11-28-2015 at 04:35 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was all set to do the belt n braces thing - get a Kindle as well. But Calibre is here to help avoid lashing out £79.99 on another gizmo with yet more charge leads - my suitcase for my 6 week trip to Spain looks like a snake pit of cables.

If I delete the stuff on my Kobo that I have obtained from Kobo, are you guys saying that I can get it all back from Kobo - again? Won't I still be up the same creek?
The short answer is, you shoud be fine.

The longer answer...

When you buy a book from Kobo, it is added to your account. That account can be accessed in various ways: from a Kobo device, Kobo app on a tablet, the Kobo desktop application under Windows or Mac or through the Kobo site. All of your books can be listed in all these places. And even if Kobo stops selling a book, it will still be listed.

If you delete a book from Kobo on your ereader, there are two options. The prompt says "Remove from..." with the choices "eReader" and "Kobo account". Selecting the first will remove it from the ereader, but there will still be a record of it that you can see and tap to download later. If you choose the second, it is moved to the "Trash" in your account. This will remove it from the other devices and app, but you can recover it from the trash on the Kobo web site. Or delete it permanently.

Kobo also have other formats for nearly all their books. These can be access from you account on the store. In the list of your books, there will be a button for either "Download epub" or "Adobe EPUB". The former are DRM free epubs and will download directly via the browser. The latter have Adobe DRM and will be downloaded via ADE (Adobe Digital Editions). Either of these can be read on non-Kobo devices or applications. Or converted to other formats such as those suitable for Kindles (with removal of DRM as needed).
Old 11-28-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Yup. As davidfor said.

As a general rule of thumb, once you buy an ebook you can always re-download it from the store where you got it from originally.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #13
crustacean

a blinding light..

Well, the fog is slowly clearing. Thanks to Davidfor and others for going back to basics. In this sort of biz C.W.K. (clear when known) is very prevalent.

I may, like Arnie, be back ... but maybe not

Esperamos mejor.