Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
TCFAN
TCFAN began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Epub rendering with italics and em dashes

Hello, I was wondering if the older Kobo Wireless model display italics and em dashes in epub documents? I'd just like to make sure of this before I buy one. If not, does the newer Touch model?
Thanks.
TCFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm quite sure it does. I will recharge my WiFi and double check tomorrow.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
TCFAN

Hope you're right. I read that the Kobo won't show italics. Instead it displays the words in caps.

Here's a link to the page.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can't say about the italics, but it does have a very serious font embedding bug that won't ever be fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
Hope you're right. I read that the Kobo won't show italics. Instead it displays the words in caps.

Here's a link to the page.
That is for the ORIGINAL Kobo; not the WiFi.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
BryanK
Connoisseur
BryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBryanK can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo HD
I didn't see an unequivocal answer to this so I just tested it out on my Kobo Wifi. Italics display correctly in both Serif and Sans Serif fonts. Oblique text looks the same as Italic text in Serif but, interestingly, Oblique Sans Serif looks the same as Oblique Serif.

Em dashes (&#8212) are displayed correctly, though hair spaces (&#8202) are displayed as question marks (unsupported). Hyphen (naturally), minus (&minus) and en dash (&#8212) also work as expected, but figure dash (&#8210) is unsupported.
BryanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #7
TCFAN

That's for checking.