Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Book Designer and Vista

is anyone running Vista able to use the July 2007 version of Book Designer on Vista? If so, how did you manage to get it to work?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
check page 3

Last edited by andyafro; 11-24-2007 at 06:44 AM.
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice to know it works even if you have to jump through hoops to get it to work.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:48 AM   #4
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Well, I tried all that and unfortunately, it didn't work for me.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Well, I tried all that and unfortunately, it didn't work for me.
Did you try the new 2007-07-30 update that I put up in the BD thread? It's a proper update now and might work whereas it didn't work before if you did an install and just the 2007-07-30 update.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Yes, I tried it. Everything works but I still can't get graphics.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Have you tried replacing Vista with XP?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:41 PM   #8
suineg
suineg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
So far I am doing the previous update just fine for my needs on Vista.
suineg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:20 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suineg View Post
So far I am doing the previous update just fine for my needs on Vista.
Previous as in 05/30/2007? The 07/30/2007 update is more stable from my experience.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:17 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is there anything new in the latest update, Jon, or is it just "stability" changes?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #11
suineg
suineg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Previous as in 05/30/2007? The 07/30/2007 update is more stable from my experience.
Yeah that one I am working with and it is stable in Vista.

Will backup my folder and do an update and give you what happens.
suineg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there anything new in the latest update, Jon, or is it just "stability" changes?
I cannot see anything new over the 05/30/2007 update. But I have not had it crash or fail to load like I have had some of the time in the 05/30/2007 release. So even if nothing is new, at least it's stable now.

if you've downloaded the 07/30/2007 update previously, I suggest you redownload the new attachment I put up as that one is a proper update from a fresh install. Turns out the update was just an update to the previous updates and if you want there from the install, you would miss stuff like making Sony books.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #13
Dobos
Dobos began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
It works fine until I try to click the "Make Sony Reader file" button or click Make e-book | Sony Reader. Nothing happens. I can make any other format. For instance I can make it in Sony Librie which is about the same but I don't have the font options. (I'm using the latest 07/30/07 update)
Dobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobos View Post
It works fine until I try to click the "Make Sony Reader file" button or click Make e-book | Sony Reader. Nothing happens. I can make any other format. For instance I can make it in Sony Librie which is about the same but I don't have the font options. (I'm using the latest 07/30/07 update)
Did you download the fixed 07/30/2007 or the original 07/30/2007? If you don't know, go to the sticky where 07/30/2007 is attached, download it and reapply the update and try again. There were files missing from the original 07/30/2007 that prevented Sony Reader output to be made if you just installed 4.0 and then upgraded.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #15
ChrisI
Connoisseur
ChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-booksChrisI has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo H2O, Libre 2
I have Book Designer running on my Vista machine. There were several issues, which I resolved by reading various threads on this forum. Here's what I did: (My apologies for not giving proper credit to those who posted each fix.)

1. Download and install the Microsoft DHTML Editing Control.

2. Install the 4.0 BD, and the latest 7/30/2007 update. I installed to Program Files, but you can probably skip the next two steps if you install to a different directory.

3. Browse to C:\Program Files\ and right-click on the Book Designer 4.0 folder. Select Properties. Go to the Security tab. Select Edit... and Add... then enter your user-id. Grant yourself full access to the directory.

4. Create the subdirectory C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0\Sony Reader, and the subdirectory C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0\LastFile. These directories are normally created automatically by the program, but even with full access I had to create them by hand.

5. Open a Command Prompt, as Administrator. (Right-click on the menu item and select run as administrator.) Go to the Book Designer 4.0 directory, and run the following command: regsvr32 GflAx.dll. This dll was copied to the BD by the update, and needs to be registered to get graphics (such as browse for a cover page) to work properly.

I think that’s everything. One of the things I tried along the way was to modify the properties of BookDesigner.exe to run as administrator. This caused an error: comdlg32.ocx or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered, so I changed it back.

I hope this helps.
ChrisI is offline   Reply With Quote