Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #1711
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
deleted

Last edited by carld; 03-01-2013 at 11:05 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #1712
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sorry, posted wrong information.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #1713
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool James Marsters Q&A Grand Slam con 2013

This video is for you fans of Spike & James Marsters' Dresden audio book readings

Published on Feb 21, 2013

James Marsters at the Grand Slam con held in Burbank, CA on Feb. 16, 2013. Some clips from his Q&A. It starts after James had asked fans in the audience to try to embarrass him. So a fan had asked him to sing the female part of a song from the Buffy musical, "Once More With Feeling". He replied that he didn't even remember his own part. Then he started singing the theme to the original Star Trek series, which is where this video starts.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-02-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #1714
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I don't do audio books but I do like James Marsters, so thanks!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #1715
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I was reacting to

but since then I've thought about it a bit, it's the first book in a series and the main character probably has quite a learning curve to live through. Also here's some info on Puck (who is also known as Robin Goodfellow [the used car salesman in Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series]).

Quoted from Wikipedia.

I can't read these anymore... too many books wanting to jump on m TBR.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #1716
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool too many books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I can't read these anymore... too many books wanting to jump on m TBR.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-03-2013 at 02:56 AM. Reason: oops!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #1717
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool don't do audio books

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I don't do audio books but I do like James Marsters, so thanks!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #1718
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Puck

Interestingly Dana Stabenow uses Puck in a metaphore in her 18th Kate Shugak novel.

Quoted from Though Not Dead by Dana Stabenow.
Quote:
The flames wavered, and she imagined she could see Old Sam’s face among them, those dark eyes with that customary expression of cynicism she now understood much better. She imagined that shit-eating, devil-worshipping grin spread across that narrow face. He’d been Puck and the Park his fairy land, although that comparison brought an involuntary grin of her own to her face. But he had certainly been a knavish sprite during the time she knew him, and he had lived his life believing what fools his fellows were.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #1719
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Some Upcoming Convention Appearances

Quoted from jim-butcher.com
Quote:
Some Upcoming Convention Appearances
Mar 01, 2013
We are pleased to announce that Jim Butcher will be the special VIP guest at the upcoming Wyrd Con 4 Convention in Southern California on September 12th – 15th 2013! Wyrd Con is a storytelling convention focused on the many levels of interaction including story development, Transmedia, and live action adventures. You can learn more about Wyrd Con at www.wyrdcon.com.

Wyrd Con will also be hosting a Kickstarter campaign to help strengthen the convention and make it bigger, and brighter than ever. For a chance to play an event with Jim, or have dinner with him check out the Kickstarter here, and grab a badge to Wyrd Con!

Other convention appearances coming this year include:

April 5th-7th: Ad Astra (Toronto) Ad Astra is a literary fan-run convention, promoting local talent within the genres of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror and Paranormal, for all media of the written word. Our weekend includes panels on a variety of topics including writing, publishing, media, creative works, comics, costuming and steampunk, as well as many events including Masquerade, writer workshops, and book launches. Complementing our programming, Ad Astra also has a dealer area, featuring many vendors, writers, exhibitors, artists and artisans and an Art Show and auction.

May 24th-27th: MisCon (Missoula, Montana) MisCon is a four-day celebration of literacy and the arts within the science fiction, fantasy, and horror genres. Held each Memorial Day weekend (Friday through Monday), MisCon has something to fascinate, educate, and entertain you at all times.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #1720
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Quoted from Bitten by Books, Wednesday April 29, 2009.

Been away from MR since last week trying to catch up on reading. Thank you, really interesting interview. Wonder how many spoilers Jim put in it. For example the horse - shouldn't he snark that in somehow in a future book? But then I suppose Harry beeing afraid to transform himself into a duck (how very funny given my name) and beeing stuck there ... Not going to happen unless he be able to talk to Mouse.

Went through Ghost Story and was really glad that I was able to jump into Cold Days right after finishing. That is the first time that there is no gap of (unspecified) time between books as far as I remember. Must have been aweful if anyone read Ghost Story right when it came out and had to wait. Oh well, soon I be in the same boat.

One thing that has not changed - no matter how strong Harry has gotten, he always has to operate above his weight class. Or at 110% as he told Molly.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #1721
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Must have been aweful if anyone read Ghost Story right when it came out and had to wait. Oh well, soon I be in the same boat.
I started reading the series when it ended with "Small Favor", and was able to power through the whole series one after another up to that point. The waits in between the next books seemed like an eternity!
Now, as soon as each new book comes out, it usually gets read in one sitting all night long, and I have to wait a whole year or more for the next one!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #1722
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Now, as soon as each new book comes out, it usually gets read in one sitting all night long, and I have to wait a whole year or more for the next one!
I started the series in 2011, and tried to pace myself, but caught up just in time for Cold Days. I managed to "save it" for two whole months before reading it, now I'm feeling the agony of the wait.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #1723
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I started reading the series when it ended with "Small Favor", and was able to power through the whole series one after another up to that point. The waits in between the next books seemed like an eternity!
but I've read the complete series 3 times now except for Ghost Story only twice and Cold Days just once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I started the series in 2011, and tried to pace myself, but caught up just in time for Cold Days. I managed to "save it" for two whole months before reading it, now I'm feeling the agony of the wait.
Lucky you! You'll have to wait two months less than I do.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #1724
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'm just getting started (well it is on my list for next month). I don't expect to feel these pains for a while.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #1725
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool A question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I'm just getting started (well it is on my list for next month). I don't expect to feel these pains for a while.
...and it refers to what exactly?

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy