Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #13156
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Crusade", by David Weber and Steve White

A re-read of one of my favourite series. "Crusade" is the first book in the "Starfire" series, and is published by Baen at their usual very reasonable prices. The book is the first of two in the omnibus edition called "The Stars at War".

After fighting two bloody interstellar wars, the Orions and the Terran Federation have been at peace for almost a century, but an Orion patrol flotilla is attacked and treacherously destroyed by what appear to be human starships. The Orions give the Terrans the task of satisfying their honour and exacting revenge on the attackers on their behalf; if they fail, another war will result, which nobody wants.

Spoiler:
The attackers turn out to be an alien race, brainwashed by survivors from a colony fleet escaping an Orion attack in the last Interstellar War. Believing that humanity has been turned away from the faith of "Holy Mother Terra", they set out to conquer the Terran Federation, which has largely let its navy fall into neglect and obcolescence because of the long period of peace. Can the human race survive this war against religious fanatics?

An excellent book. Highly recommended, as is the whole series (currently 6 books).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #13157
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A re-read of one of my favourite series. "Crusade" is the first book in the "Starfire" series, and is published by Baen at their usual very reasonable prices. The book is the first of two in the omnibus edition called "The Stars at War".

After fighting two bloody interstellar wars, the Orions and the Terran Federation have been at peace for almost a century, but an Orion patrol flotilla is attacked and treacherously destroyed by what appear to be human starships. The Orions give the Terrans the task of satisfying their honour and exacting revenge on the attackers on their behalf; if they fail, another war will result, which nobody wants.

Spoiler:
The attackers turn out to be an alien race, brainwashed by survivors from a colony fleet escaping an Orion attack in the last Interstellar War. Believing that humanity has been turned away from the faith of "Holy Mother Terra", they set out to conquer the Terran Federation, which has largely let its navy fall into neglect and obcolescence because of the long period of peace. Can the human race survive this war against religious fanatics?

An excellent book. Highly recommended, as is the whole series (currently 6 books).
I agree. I read them again last year and would read them a third time.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #13158
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished reading Boundary by Eric Flint and Ryk E. Spoor. Not at all what I was expecting somehow, but I enjoyed it none the less. This is a "near future" book with a paleontologist and a geek as protagonists, and the premise is an ancient visit to the solar system by aliens. There's not shooting, no chases, no blood and gore, and not a weapon in sight. I'd give it 3.5 out of 5. Enough that I'll read the sequel, but it will have to wait, since I have Double Share by Nathan Lowell already started. Also re-reading 1632 by Eric Flint, this time as an Audible book. This book is an unqualified 5 out of 5, highly recommended. There are some weak ones in the series, but they're all ones out of the main storyline (and not with Mr. Flint as the main writer.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #13159
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I just finished The System of the World, the end of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Trilogy. I really enjoyed all the books although I think it focused a bit more on banking and the credit sytem than the debate over the invention of calculus.

I am now reading A Rising Thunder by David Weber...its good to get back to Honor Harrington.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #13160
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
It's been a while since I read any horror so I quite enjoyed The Best Horror of the Year: Volume Four (links to my review) from Night Shade books (available from Baen for just $6).

The 18 short stories are a good mix from across the horror genre. Some of them were quite disturbing, in a good way, while others were just OK.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #13161
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I picked it up with a Kobo discount code for $4.19.
Another one I found was "The Misadventures of Sherlock Holmes" on archive.org. It is free and available in different formats (Kindle, epub, pdf and online reading.) It was edited by Ellery Queen and has all different types of stories in there focused around Sherlock Holmes.
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #13162
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Perhaps I'll read one of the Judge Dee mysteries by Robert van Gulik. The Chinese Maze Murders sounds good...
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #13163
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished: Double Share, book four in the Solar Clipper series by Nathan Lowell. Not a single explosion, no gun shots, and our intrepid hero, Ishmael Wang, wins out in the end, of course.

This book felt less well thought out than previous books in the series, but was still a very enjoyable read and worth the read. A solid 4 out of 5, and recommended. And it's at a reasonable price, without DRM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #13164
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Started C. J. Cherryh's Betrayer (#12 in the Foreigner series) and realized it had been too long since I read #11 (Deceiver) so I decided to drop back and re-read that, since it's available at a reasonable price ($7.99).

For those who don't know the series, it's an alien/human interaction on a distant and isolated planet. Very well done, and highly recommended. Unfortunately, some of the early books are not available in eBook formats, however.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #13165
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I read the Murder in the Marais, the first of the Aimee Leduc series set in Paris. I picked this up on sale for a dollar or two a few months ago to try. The setting brought back flashes from my trips to Paris and the historical bits about Nazis and collaborators were very well done, but the resolution of the mystery was out of left field. Hopefully the plotting improves as the series develops.

I'm halfway through Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!. So far the anecdotes about ants and safecracking are my favourites.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #13166
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Laurie R. King and Nancy Fulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished reading Breakup. What a fantastically fun read! I completely agree with Charlie on this one. Now I'm going to try the first Kate Martinelli book, A Grave Talent by Laurie R. King.
I finished reading Grave Talent and it was really great! I'm going to take it easy (before diving into another novel) and read two Nancy Fulda (she hangs out here sometimes) short stories next, Blue Ink and Hexes and Tooth Decay, that I picked up for free from the Kindle store a while back.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #13167
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Nancy Fulda and Dorothy (D.C.) Fontana

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished reading Grave Talent and it was really great! I'm going to take it easy (before diving into another novel) and read two Nancy Fulda (she hangs out here sometimes) short stories next, Blue Ink and Hexes and Tooth Decay, that I picked up for free from the Kindle store a while back.
I finished reading Nancy Fulda's two short stories and found them very enjoyble. Now I'm starting to read Dorothy Fontana's The Questor Tapes, a novelization of a Gene Rodenberry/Gene Coon screenplay.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #13168
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I finished Lullaby the new Spenser book by Ace Atkins.
If you like Parker's Spenser you will like this one. Atkins did a great job. It feels like Parker wrote it.

I also reread two older Spenser novels. Judas Goat and Potshot.

Finished Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith. It is a retelling of the story of the Three Wise Men by the aiuthor of Abraham Lincoln Vamoire Hunter. I enjoyed it especially the ending.

I have started reading Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan Series again.. I am currently reading the Omnibus Cordelia's Honor. I have finished the first story and have just started the second. I really love rereading a great author and falling in love with their books all over again.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #13169
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
...I'm halfway through Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!. So far the anecdotes about ants and safecracking are my favourites.
Hot dog! I believe the first time I looked for this book it wasn't available in ebook format. That must have been some time ago, as W. W. Norton & Company lists the digital publication date as June 28, 2010. (The original hardback was published by the same company in 1985.)

Just downloaded a sample. I'm glad you posted that!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #13170
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Currently Reading:

- Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (40%)

- The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India by Carole Buggé (20%)

- Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley (0%)

- Moby-Dick, or The Whale by Herman Melville (28%) [on hold]

My wife and I have decided to read Frankenstein together in preparation to go see the Danny Boyle adaptation.

So far I'm really liking The Star of India. In a lot of Holmes stories by other authors, the writer takes liberties with the characters, or forgets what makes Holmes unique as a literary character and never allows him to demonstrate his incredible deductive reasoning. Carole Buggé's story (so far) feels like it could have been written by Conan Doyle.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote