Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
nutsy
nutsy began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
buying a sony reader

Hi all
Just after a bit of advice, I have the chance to buy a new Sony reader in the US in acouple of weeks. I want it to just download ebooks and read them not bothered about mp3 or pdf. I have just learned that i cannot buy ebooks from the Sony connect site (US residents only). So can anyone tell me if I buy the device in the states can i download books from other sites ( I saw someone mention Fictionwise) successfully or should I not bother buying it t all.

Any advice appreciated as I havent a clue just love the idea of teh digital book.

Thank you
nutsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi nutsy, welcome to the Forum. Don't know why Sony has that idiot rule about US residents but there are ways for US rezies to get books. One is to buy Sony giftcards.Other, more knowledgeable members on this site will have lots of advice.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Lots of good books on this site nutsy
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there anywhere you can buy .lit books from and convert them? That's the route I'd take.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsy View Post
Hi all
Just after a bit of advice, I have the chance to buy a new Sony reader in the US in acouple of weeks. I want it to just download ebooks and read them not bothered about mp3 or pdf. I have just learned that i cannot buy ebooks from the Sony connect site (US residents only). So can anyone tell me if I buy the device in the states can i download books from other sites ( I saw someone mention Fictionwise) successfully or should I not bother buying it t all.

Any advice appreciated as I havent a clue just love the idea of teh digital book.

Thank you
Hi nutsy,

You've got a couple of options.

You can buy books from the Sony site, but you'll have to get someone in the US to buy you giftcards to use. I know a member here, Leaping Gnome, has done it for folks in the past.

You can buy books from Fictionwise in the Multiformat category. These will be books from less know authors/publishers or older books from some well known authors. They also have some short fiction magazines available in this format.

You can buy books from Baen (if you like Sci-Fi) and either download the RTF version and use as is or download the MS Reader (LIT) version & easily convert it using libprs500.

For current & catalog releases from major publishers you can either buy through the Sony store using gift cards or you can buy the MS Reader version from any number of stores (Fictionwise, Books on Board, Simon Says) with no restriction on where you live and then use ConvertLit to remove the DRM protection (not exactly legal) and then convert them to Sony format (LRF), this will also give you a copy you can convert to other formats in the future if needed. Note: to buy MS Reader or Sony books you must be using Windows.

If you want a wide variety of stores for books, but aren't comfortable with breaking the DRM on LIT books you might want to check out the Cybook Gen3 which uses MobiPocket for it's rights protected format. Mobi books are available from many stores online with no restrictions on where you live.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert