Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Nicolas Negroponte: The Physical Book is Dead in Five Years

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/06/physical-book-dead/

Quote:
By “dead,” he of course doesn’t mean completely dead. But he means that digital books are going to replace physical books as the dominant form.
Quote:
“People will say ‘no, no, no’ — of course you like your libraries,” Negroponte said. But he cited the report that sales of books for the Kindle recently surpassed sales of hardcover books.

“It’s happening. It not happening in 10 years. It’s happening in 5 years,” he said.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
It will happened but not that soon.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I don't think it will happen that soon, either. I don't need to smell or touch books. It's not personal.

There will be many instances when print will still be more practical for years to come. More important, schools will be the big bottleneck. Look how strapped state and local governments are. They're limping along. They will build momentum and move more toward digital, but look how long it takes for government and schools to change anything, even when money isn't as tight as it is now. Look at the jobless rate. Are parents going to be able to afford e-readers for multiple kids? How many of them aren't paying taxes, paying mortgages, paying rent, because they can't? Affluent districts can move more quickly, but that means many districts will straggle.

There are some groups of former educators and such that are working on free textbooks in digital form. They produce them, then offer for free. It will be interesting to see whether they get tied up with the religious right over science books and such.

By the way, Negroponte has been struggling with the one laptop per child project. They've made some progress, but I think he was too optimistic with that, too.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 08-06-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think he's probably right or close to it. Bezos thinks ebook sales will surpass paper sales next year. So five years for a substantial shift to digital might even be conservative. By that time we'll probably have affordable color e-ink, longer battery life, cheaper readers and so on.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
It WILL happen that soon. Electronic media can replace physical fast... Didn't take much longer for digital music to become the dominant form sold.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
It WILL happen that soon. Electronic media can replace physical fast... Didn't take much longer for digital music to become the dominant form sold.
Digital music sales haven't surpassed physical music sales yet.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Digital music sales haven't surpassed physical music sales yet.
I'm one of the holdouts. I buy all my music on CDs. Better sound, and I have the originals to convert as I like. I don't plan to buy digital music unless I have no choice.

This is a snapshot of how desperate governments have become: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/07/us...B.html?_r=1&hp

All tax collections are down. That's where school money comes from.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 08-06-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I'm one of the holdouts. I buy all my music on CDs. Better sound, and I have the originals to convert as I like. I don't plan to buy digital music unless I have no choice.
They still make CDs? How quaint.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
kjk

Although neither the iTunes Store nor the Kindle Store were the first, it will be interesting to see when digital sales do outpace physical sales in both music and books.

iTunes Store, 2003-->2012?
Kindle Store, 2007-->2015?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
They still make CDs? How quaint.
Yes, they're right near the Kindle and Sony e-readers at Targets across the nation, for instance, lol.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

This is a snapshot of how desperate governments have become: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/07/us...B.html?_r=1&hp

All tax collections are down. That's where school money comes from.
Did I just have a stroke? The edit on this post has my head spinning, and my sanity in question.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Did I just have a stoke? The edit on this post has my head spinning, and my sanity in question.
The edit follows on my earlier post about schools being the bottleneck. Can't tell whether you had a stroke. Are you slurring or unable to feel one side of your body?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Yes, they're right near the Kindle and Sony e-readers at Targets across the nation, for instance, lol.
I thought those were museums! <smile>
Old 08-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
I thought those were museums! <smile>
Not yet, but maybe. Some museums are moving into malls. Go where the people are, lol. Maybe Target will be next.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
The edit follows on my earlier post about schools being the bottleneck. Can't tell whether you had a stroke. Are you slurring or unable to feel one side of your body?
I appreciate the clarification, and concern. But I am convinced the symptoms you describe are due to the tequila.