Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

View Poll Results: Should an ebook contain the original pictures or not ?
Yes, they belong to the original book, I want to see them in an ebook, too 41 95.35%
No, I don't need them 2 4.65%
I am undecided 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
ah. ok. i'm not sure, but i think you may have misunderstood ; those are not the best end formats to use, but rather, the list of formats which are best supported by calibre as *source* formats, for converting to lrf. the best end format is definitely epub.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #17
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
ok, thanks, I will definitely try it tomorrow.

by the way, you have a cool avatar picture
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
ok, thanks, I will definitely try it tomorrow.

by the way, you have a cool avatar picture
thank you ! you should see all the other ones.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:51 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
the best end format is definitely epub.
No, the "best" end format is whatever your reading device has the best support for. In your case, having a Sony PRS-700, that may perhaps be ePub, but it's certainly not the "best" for people such as myself with MobiPocket devices .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, the "best" end format is whatever your reading device has the best support for. In your case, having a Sony PRS-700, that may perhaps be ePub, but it's certainly not the "best" for people such as myself with MobiPocket devices .
well, you have a point, although since 1. epub can be trivially converted to mobipocket as long as the formatting doesn't exceed mobipocket's technical capabilities, and epub is a far better archival format, and 2. bookeen has announced epub support for their devices, it's debateable...

but in this case, i was talking specifically about the best format for NASCARaddicted, whose device *does* already support epub.
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
ah. ok. i'm not sure, but i think you may have misunderstood ; those are not the best end formats to use, but rather, the list of formats which are best supported by calibre as *source* formats, for converting to lrf. the best end format is definitely epub.
Certainly the best end format is the one that works best on the target device. Even though BeBook supports ePUB the the mobi support is far better, and some devices do not support ePUB at all. There is no best end format, since there is no best device. The best is the one you can read.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #22
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I think Z is just being a bit overzealous, mainly brought out by someone that repeatedly would tell every new user that Mobipocket was the best because it was the most widely supported. Strange how things turn and the same individual criticizes a person for doing what they did.

The best format is certainly the best format that displays on a given users device + has features (cross-compatibility, ease of conversion, etc.) that the user holds valuable. I personally think that epub has the best all around qualities for an archival format.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #23
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Certainly the best end format is the one that works best on the target device. Even though BeBook supports ePUB the the mobi support is far better, and some devices do not support ePUB at all. There is no best end format, since there is no best device. The best is the one you can read.

Dale
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I think Z is just being a bit overzealous, mainly brought out by someone that repeatedly would tell every new user that Mobipocket was the best because it was the most widely supported. Strange how things turn and the same individual criticizes a person for doing what they did.

The best format is certainly the best format that displays on a given users device + has features (cross-compatibility, ease of conversion, etc.) that the user holds valuable. I personally think that epub has the best all around qualities for an archival format.

-MJ
yes, and again, as i said, i was specifically referring to the best end format for the original poster, who has a device which supports epub.

although if we were to compare the formats among themselves, based on their capabilities and without taking into account the device, i think it is safe to say that epub is the best format overall as well.

but that was not my point here.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 06-01-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Tags
ebooks, pictures, scanning