Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Is there an anti-LCD/pro-Eink bias on MobileRead?

Some time ago I noticed a pattern here on MobileRead. It seemed to me that there was a nearly complete disregard for LCD based ebook readers in favor of Eink based ones.

If there is a bias, I'd like to correct it. I don't want to see devices brushed aside cavalierly, nor should members here be marginalized becuase they went against the groupthink. I'd like to hear from anyone who doesn't own an ebook reader with an Eink screen. What do you think?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given that you yourself do own an eInk device, Nate, you have just disqualified your own opinion. Many of us here - yourself and myself included - own and use devices with both types of screen. For reading, my view is the eInk devices are superior, due to the total lack of screen flicker, lack of reflectivity, and very low power consumption. For other types of activity, LCD clearly "wins out" due to the very slow refresh rate of eInk. I wouldn't want to write a letter on an eInk screen.

It's a case of using the best tool for the task at hand. I am typing this message on a device with an LCD screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that you yourself do own an eInk device, Nate, you have just disqualified your own opinion. Many of us here - yourself and myself included - own and use devices with both types of screen.
As much as I love the Kindle, I'm very happy to use something else. The main reason I still have it is to test the formatting of ebooks I make, and buy ebooks from the Kindle store.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Well, the Jetbook is getting talked up quite a bit and that's not an eInk device. iPhone/Touch seem to get a fair amount of play. Ebookwise still seems to get a healthy amount of discussion. I don't think there's a bias other than the fact that a lot of what's talked about is the new and exciting and in most cases that's going to be an eInk type device. For the most part that's what's coming out so that's what people are buying & discussing.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I admit to being guilty (I was really surprised that you prefer to read on LCD). I never liked reading books on my computer screen. It was okay reading them on my Handspring Visor. I didn't/couldn't really embrace ebooks until e-ink hit the scene. For me it is so much easier to read.

I hereby acknowledge that e-ink is not the best form of ebook reading for everyone and will try to have a more open mind.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I loved my EB1150 very much. I have stated before that it was an emotional attachment, like one feels for a pet or something. The Sony is nothing like that at all.

I loved LCD and the backlight very much. Absolutely hate the lightwedge cover on the Sony, but it's better than nothing.

If only there was more content available that could be easily zoomed to extra large fonts, I never would have switched. It's in a good home now and I can see it from here, propped up on my friend's desk so that she can read and eat lunch at the same time.

I get a little tear of nostalgia every time I see it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If there is a bias, I'd like to correct it. I don't want to see devices brushed aside cavalierly, nor should members here be marginalized becuase they went against the groupthink. I'd like to hear from anyone who doesn't own an ebook reader with an Eink screen. What do you think?
There are two kinds of LCD displays
1. those that can work without backlight - like on very old palms, calculators and digital watches and old monochrome mobile phones
2. and bright ones that need backlight - a good example is notebook display, modern color mobile phones.

My first e-book reader was a notebook (several of them).
I look at the bright screen for 8 hour a day at work and several hours at home and I have no problem with that, but when it comes to reading e-books ...

So I got an old Cassiopeia A-11 and later A-20 with display of the first kind. At first my only reason for using Cassiopeia was that it was much more portable. Yet, very soon I started to prefer non-backlight display for reading (despite the fact that Cassiopeia has very low contrast display). I have used my Cassiopeias for years as my primary e-book readers.

Then I purchased PRS-500.
Holy $DEITY!
In terms of readability there is no question for me which is better.
The PRS-500 has the oldest generation of e-ink, and I suspect that my display has lower contrast than it had when it was new. Yet it is still magnitude better for me ...

There are quite a few people here that do not tolerate flashing of the e-ink
and still others that want to read in bed without disturbing their spouse.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Thanks Nate, it's nice to see some acknowledgement of the fact that not everyone reads on e-ink. Not that I feel there's any deliberate marginalization going on - it's just that the majority of people here have e-ink readers, so that's what conversation centers around.

Personally, I have no plans to abandon my Zodiac because 1) It serves a multitude of purposes besides reading; 2) it's the largest device I can envision myself carrying all the time, and being able to have reading material with me constantly is, for me, the main advantage of e-books; 3) it has lovely ergonomics; 4) battery life hasn't been a problem for me, although it doesn't approach that of an e-ink device;5) the screen size seems fine to me (as wide as a paperback, but shorter vertically), as does the resolution and the backlighting; and 6) it gives me enormous flexibility with regard to reading apps, file formats, sources for books, and their appearance on the screen. If it ever wears out...well, I guess I'll have to pull out the backup Zodiac.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I admit to being guilty (I was really surprised that you prefer to read on LCD). I never liked reading books on my computer screen.
See this is a common misconception. Most people don't like reading from a PC's LCD screen due to the back light. There are LCD screens that are reflexively lit just like an eInk screen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
See this is a common misconception. Most people don't like reading from a PC's LCD screen due to the back light. There are LCD screens that are reflexively lit just like an eInk screen.

BOb
I also think that the angle of the screen is part of the reason why people don't like reading on their computer - it's not comfortable for your neck.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
Which ebook readers have that kind of screen? Jetbook?
Old 03-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Yes the Jetbook has this kind of screen. Read about it on the our wiki
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Reflective_LCD

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
The Jetbook, as well as most early PDAs.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Jetbook, as well as most early PDAs.
My Visor was an early PDA. If the Jetbook is like that, I'll stick with e-ink but again I understand that what works for me doesn't work for everyone.

Edit: After looking at DaleDe's link to the wiki, I see that these new LCD screens have a much higher resolution and do look much better than my old Visor.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
I admit to being guilty (I was really surprised that you prefer to read on LCD). I never liked reading books on my computer screen. . . . I didn't/couldn't really embrace ebooks until e-ink hit the scene. For me it is so much easier to read.
Daffy says it well. I spend 8-10 hours a day reading manuscript on my computer screen (LCD). The very last thing I want to do is read for pleasure on it. Additionally, like Daffy, I find eInk much easier on the eyes.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote