Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Nobel Prize-winning author Doris Lessing dies at 94

Quote:
British Nobel-Prize winning author Doris Lessing has died aged 94.

Her best-known works include The Golden Notebook, Memoirs of a Survivor and The Summer Before the Dark.

She became the oldest winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature when in 2007 she won the award for her life's work aged 88.
Full story at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24979129
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've had to admit that I haven't read any of her work, and I really feel I ought to have. Can anyone recommend a good one to start off with?
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I just saw this headline. Thanks Harry, I too would be interested in recommendations as I've not read her work.

From the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/18/bo...t-94.html?_r=0
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm in the same position. I've been meaning to read Lessing for a long time but never got around to it.

I had planned to start with The Cleft, mainly because I had eLibrary access to it. So - not terribly helpful really.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

"The Golden Notebook" seems to be her best-known work. I've just checked and it is available as an ebook (in the UK, at least).
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Another Nobel author I have yet to read. I recently read Away from Her (The Bear Came Over the Mountain) by Alice Munro and once I finish A Tale of Love and Darkness I will be reading Cairo Modern by Naguib Mahfouz. I would also be interested in a recommendation for something by Lessing.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I haven't read any Lessing yet but The Golden Notebook's been on my list for some years now.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Nobel does not mean anything to me since António Egas Moniz.

Anyway, rest in peace, ma'am.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
nutsheart
nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One, Huawei MediaPd M3
I would recommend the Canopus in Argos: Archives series. Great sci-fi!
nutsheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
"Briefing for a Descent into Hell". Highly recommend. Also, "Memoirs of a Survivor"
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #11
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I have fond memories of the Canopy in Argos series, and the Memoirs of a Survivor, and I loved The Summer before Dark. I don't remember anything about the Golden Notebook, which I know I read.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
From the BBC:

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
John123
Connoisseur
John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Samsung Note, Kindle, hudl2
I haven't read any of her work either, but my wife is quite a fan of Lessing. She has an English Degree and loves the 17th century Metaphysical Poets so beware!

She thinks a good one to start with is The Golden Notebook, suggested by HarryT.

Hope this helps.
John123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
The Golden Notebook is interesting if you like history, but my fav. is The Grass is Singing.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm embarrassed to say that this is one of those authors whom I've known about for four decades, but have yet to read.

In the meantime, I actually brought my First Edition American hardcover edition of "The Memoirs of a Survivor," with me when I moved to Peru.

So I'll read that before I purchase her classic, on ebook, of "The Golden Notebook."

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote