Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
dillsandwitch
Enthusiast
dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura H20
Looking for new reads

Hi All,

Looking to find something new to read and was hoping to get a few recommendations.

Sci-fi/fantasy is what i usually stick to but am open to all suggestions. Oh and anything with vampires is good too

I have recently read
Anita Blake series. Immortals after dark series and enjoyed them.
I'm reading book 2 of game of thrones but its doing my head in and frying my brain cells.

any suggestions on something i might enjoy that wont fry my brains?
dillsandwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
my go-to suggestion for almost everybody is the Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia. its got a mix of everything:monsters, horror, fantasy, urban fantasy, action, etc.

"Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a fourteenth story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer.
It turns out that monsters are real. All the things from myth, legend, and B-movies are out there, waiting in the shadows. Officially secret, some of them are evil, and some are just hungry. On the other side are the people who kill monsters for a living. Monster Hunter International is the premier eradication company in the business. And now Owen is their newest recruit.

It’s actually a pretty sweet gig, except for one little problem. An ancient entity known as the Cursed One has returned to settle a centuries old vendetta. Should the Cursed One succeed, it means the end of the world, and MHI is the only thing standing in his way. With the clock ticking towards Armageddon, Owen finds himself trapped between legions of undead minions, belligerent federal agents, a cryptic ghost who has taken up residence inside his head, and the cursed family of the woman he loves.

Business is good . . .

Welcome to Monster Hunter International."

they're pretty lengthy reads but they never drag, theres great characters and theres some great twists that make the books truly compelling.

Last edited by xg4bx; 05-31-2012 at 03:38 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I recently enjoyed Queen of Kings by Maria Dahvana Headley. (Cleopatra as vampire.)

Not as well known outside of Australia, but you might also want to try the collection Love and Romanpunk by Tansy Rayner Roberts (Lamia's are similar to vampires...)

Also enjoyed Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Baen has The Monster Hunters by Larry Correia ("Three titles in this series together for the first time in one huge volume.") for $6. It is also part of the June 2012 Monthly Baen Bundle, 7 ebooks for $18.

I also enjoyed the 1st of a new series, Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander, which reminded me a lot of early Anita Blake.

The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne has 4 books so far. It is about the last of the Druids, still alive and in Arizona.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Awhile back I got hooked on a new medium of fiction called emotobooks. They are pretty cool and a good light read. Swing Zone Issue 3 just came out today and I was actually excited for it. It's their sci-fi title
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I am currently reading Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber. It's the first book in his Safehold series and I am enjoying it.

Basic premise is that an alien race came and wiped out the human race. An effort was made to start out again on the planet Safehold. To make sure the aliens don't find us again, the colonists were wiped of their memories and a religion was instituted that basically outlaws electricity and scientific advancement. There is one person who knows the true history though...
So its scifi blended with low tech society.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Sorry, couldn't give ya more info the other day. I was really in rush

Swing Zone Issue 3 came out and I got a chance to read it. The plot just keeps getting better and better. Blows issue 1 and 2 outta the water. The character is getting developed and I smell a twist coming on already.

"In Swing Zone, Issue #3, tensions rise in the forest and at home. Cut off from civilization in the swing zone, Mia Blancharde grows suspicious that Coltis Lawson might be involved with a group of terrorists that threaten her city. In Freedale, a military buildup ignites a foreboding of what may yet come to pass. Mia’s fear is amplified when she discovers her brother, Colonel Zavier Blancharde, had a leading role in the military's haunting grab for power.

The expanding division between these two cities threatens access to Mia’s valuable excavation. More importantly, the contemptuous environment challenges her loyalties between home and a man she barely knows."

Not a lot of people to discuss these with since there rather new but if you decide to go this route, would love to chat about it and you're opinions
Old 06-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
try 'children of the night' and 'carrion comfort' by dan simmons... pretty good reads.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Santos
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
try 'children of the night' and 'carrion comfort' by dan simmons... pretty good reads.
Ive heard of children of the night... but what is carrion comfort all about? Sounds interesting.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos View Post
Ive heard of children of the night... but what is carrion comfort all about? Sounds interesting.
its a new take on the vampire theme... excellent book
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
Santos
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
its a new take on the vampire theme... excellent book
Carrion, such as Carrion Ants? Aka Flesh eating Ants Hence a Vampire Theme.. Guess I shoulda put that together myself... but Im a bit slow... Gonna check it out and see what it's all about