Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Stylus scratching screen?

So I can't feel any sharp edges on the stylus tip, but a few times when I was selecting multiple words of text, I fels like I was digging into the screen.

Yesterday I took a closer look and do see really tiny, hairline thin scratches going horizontally across, presumably from me making those selections.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a higher quality stylus available? And would I have a case for getting a replacement?
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
You don't have to actually touch the screen on the new generation of Sonys: the infra-red touch layer is above the screen, so, unlike my 600, you don't need to press with any force on the screen. Are you sure they're scratches, and not just marks that will clean off? I have no experience with that screen surface, but can't imagine Sony would make it so that the dedicated stylus actually causes damage to it.

I've not seen any other complaints about this, so I doubt Sony will pay for a replacement stylus. Your best bet, if this bothers you, is to get yourself a third-party soft-tipped stylus. Two potential problems here: it won't fit in the ereader's compartment, and if you get a rubber one, there's more of a likelihood of rubber traces coming off on the screen and leaving marks.

I'd have thought it will stop bothering you after you've used your device for a while and it's stopped being the treasured pride-and-joy (not being derogatory, I just know how much I baby my gadgets when I first get them - much more convenient when I care a bit less and just get down to using them).
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
The Sony stylus seems fairly blunt to me, and as for scratches, I don't swipe with it, but use it for tapping.

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 12-28-2010 at 12:13 PM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Yeah I know the sensors are on the side, but my hands aren't so precise to hold the stylus a millimeter above the surface to select multiple words heh

They aren't marks, I can feel them when I run my fingernail lightly over them. And it doesn't really affect readability, but if the time should come where I might want/have to sell it, I couldn't describe it as perfectly pristine, and due to no fault of my own. Just surprised no one else had this issue, as I'm fairly gentle with electronics.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote