Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Arkor
Arkor began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
New to the PRS-600, have a few questions.

I recently got a new PRS-600 that was on sale at a reasonable price and I just wanted to know a few things about it that I couldn't really find. I did notice when I charged it using USB for the first time the light was red for 5 minutes, booted and then once it got up shutdown. It did it twice until I got enough juice but it seems to be charging fine. Has this happened to anyone else?

I heard that the screen had a poor contrast ratio and a lot of glare. While the one I have has a glare the contrast doesn't seem to be too bad. A lot better than the one in the store.

Overall I think I'm going to like the device and I hope it serves me well.

P.S.: I also heard that people used the Sony PSP charger which I have, but knowing the finicky nature of Li-Ion charging and that some AC adapters tend to work better on their host device, I'm still a bit hesitant on using a 5.0V volt source on a 5.2V plug. Just throwing it out there.
Arkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
My experience has been: avoid recharging via USB like the plague. It really doesn't work here, and can "brick" a PRS-600 without radical intervention.
I use the recharger that came with my PRS-500; this is electrically the same as a PSP charger (the difference is the sticker).
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
Arkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
My experience has been: avoid recharging via USB like the plague. It really doesn't work here, and can "brick" a PRS-600 without radical intervention.
I use the recharger that came with my PRS-500; this is electrically the same as a PSP charger (the difference is the sticker).
I don't want to sound too terribly naive, but what exactly is bad about USB charging? And brick as in requiring a reset I guess?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkor View Post
I don't want to sound too terribly naive, but what exactly is bad about USB charging? And brick as in requiring a reset I guess?
Charge cycles that last minutes eventually occur.
The only way to fix is to physically open the PRS-600 and disconnect/reconnect the battery. So yeah, a fair bit more than a reset.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
Arkor

I'll keep my eyes peeled just in case.

I've heard mixed results when using mains instead of USB.

The only source of concern is that for me, I do run a decent motherboard and a big power supply on my main PC. Since the PRS-600 does register at 500mA on the port it could be the fact that a lot of consumer based boards and power supplies are not intended for extended draws of 500mA on a USB port.

I will admit charging using a laptop isn't something I would do and would agree it is to avoid that if possible.

Note: When you mention that, are you using the stock cable or just any USB cable?

Last edited by Arkor; 10-16-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Note: When you mention that, are you using the stock cable or just any USB cable?
The USB cable that came with it. (Not that the cable would matter all that much, but anyways.)
Old 10-16-2010, 01:49 AM   #7
Arkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
The USB cable that came with it. (Not that the cable would matter all that much, but anyways.)
I don't think it matters much, but some devices may or may not like electrical noise (typically hard drives fail if they sustain a bit of electrical noise due to its precision). I just asked because if those users were using a basic cable on a regular power supply it might not do good to a PRS hence the issue.

It's a bit on the computer hardware side which some people may or may not be familiar with.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:34 AM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard

From what I've read on these forums, I'm not alone in this. - Sony just didn't make at least some of them right.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:49 AM   #9
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Another problem with charging through USB is that when your computer goes into sleep mode or is switched off it doesn't only stop charging your reader but it also drains it. The reader can be drained to the point that a computer can't charge it. APSP or similar chargers with a barrel tip can recharge it.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
This USB charging from the computer... the new 350, 650 and 950 only have a USB (micro) socket but can use wall USB chargers (some, see relevant threads) whereas all earlier models have a barrel socket as well as their USB (mini) socket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Another problem with charging through USB is that when your computer goes into sleep mode or is switched off it doesn't only stop charging your reader but it also drains it. The reader can be drained to the point that a computer can't charge it. APSP or similar chargers with a barrel tip can recharge it.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #11
Arkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I figured mine was pretty drained from the factory to where it required 2 reboots just to get it rolling...Unless it was doing some sort of database work.

I'm just not sure, I've also read that Sony does not recommend using the PSP adapter. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's right. I've fried a Nokia phone doing that once.

Well I suppose that precaution is there because of the fact of Windows Vista's default settings. I use Windows XP and usually charge on my desktop so suspending/hibernating isn't a big deal.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #12
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
I'm just not sure, I've also read that Sony does not recommend using the PSP adapter. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's right. I've fried a Nokia phone doing that once.
I might be somewhat cynical but I think the only reason Sony discourages people to use a PSP charger to charge a Sony eReader is because the official charger is more expensive and they make more money by selling those than PSP chargers.

I use a USB charger 5V 1amp with a PSP cable which has both a mini USB tip and a barrel PSP tip. I never had any problems with it. A lot of people on the forum here use PSP chargers, often not from Sony and I can't remember anyone having problems.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
AprilHare
Wizard

The PSP charger is the same. Sony discourages the use of a PSP charger as it costs less.
Sony themselves use PSP chargers. A PRS-500 charger is a PSP charger with a different sticker.
It won't fry it.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
Shily
Shily began at the beginning.

My PRS-600, which is also my first ereader ever, will arrive tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous about how to handle this device, especially the charging bit. Using the PSP charger won't fry the reader, sure, but would it hurt in the long run, considering that I'm plugging a 5.2V device into a 5V source? "It's working fine right now" is not good enough for me - I need to know if I'm unknowingly damaging my ereader or not. (Yeah, you can tell that I'm a newbie exited about her new toy )

Also, does anyone know if 2000mA input current is better than 1000mA? What is the ereader's anyway? I can't seem to find this piece of spec online.

And one last thing, should I buy the Sony PSP charger or those generic chargers that are selling on eBay from China? They're cheap, which makes me happy, but cheap also has its price, I guess, so... please help?

Thanks a lot!!!
Shily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #15
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
The reader will draw whatever amperage it needs. If you have less mA, it may take longer, but readers don't draw a lot amperage anyways. A regular USB-port on a PC usually puts out a max of 500mA. So more amperage doesn't hurt (but won't give you an extra benefit once the reader gets what he wants, lets say it draws 600mA - just as a random number here - and your power supply can do 1000mA. That means that 400mA are left over, so to say).
I've been using the PSP charger on my 505 for 2 years now and 3/4 of a year on my 600. No damage to be seen.
Every electronic device has specifications for power input. So it should be ok to have a voltage anywhere between 4.8 - 5.2 V (After all, it's just a 4% deviation). Most power supplies don't even reach the nominal value.
And I would rather go with the original PSP charger if you're so concerned about your new toy (allthough I assume that any charger having the same specs should do). Cheaper electronics usually mean cheaper internal parts, too, which may not be that accurate in handling amperage and voltage.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote