Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
mesand
Enthusiast
mesand began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbock 360
Library View - Series

Hi,
I am new to the Kobo Glo but together with Calibre and the extremely helpful Guide to Shelf Management (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184) I have managed to get almost everything the way I want it.

I've got one questions, however:
I was pleased to discover that in the shelf view the author, title and below that (in the third line) the series and series number are displayed. This third line isn't always shown and I can't figure out why. It SEEMS as if it doesn't show after transferring the books directly. When the transferring action has been finished and I choose other books to transfer as well, the third line shows up in the old books (but not in the newly transferred). Can this really be the way this works? How can I get the third line to show up right away? And can I even display other information there or a fourth line, too?

Maybe someone out there is as pedantic as I am about my library
Thanks, Melanie
mesand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, I am And yes, it's how it works. The reason is technical (series info go into the database with the book, but the entry is not created when you send the book but when you disconnect your Kobo and it processes the new content). So, when you connect it again, the first step is to check metadata and to correct the missing / wrong ones (series, for example).

So, what I do is always the same: I connect the Kobo, send the books, disconnect the Kobo and, when the main screen appears again after processing content, I connect it again.

And sorry but no, you can't show any additional info in a fourth row.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 03-17-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Teresa is bang on. When a book is added, it is only put I to storage on the Kobo. When the device is disconnected it scans for new content and adds it to it's internal database.

Its from this database that the Kobo displays what material is on the device, and from this database that the series info is retrieved and displayed.

Of course, since the book was not in the database when it was transferred, the Kobo calibre deliver could not add the series data when the book was transferred; however the next time that the device is connected and calibre scans it, the series info will be stored in the database.

Of course (big grin) Teresa and I do have a disagreement on one little point... Prior to 2.4.0 the title sort actually sorted by the series info and then the title. With 2.4.0 this functionality disappeared and the sort is once more a pure title sort. I miss the title sort working that way; Teresa would rather title works this way, and a new Series sort option be added.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, PeterT, as a hard-headed engineer, for me, title sort means title sort Adding series into the mix is not for me a new functionality but a bug
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My husband is still reading using a Kobo WiFi, and the sort on series as part of the title still holds sway on that older device. I'm with Terisa on this one, not because i have any engineering in my background, but because it's just messy and seeing the actual title is more difficult.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
mesand
Enthusiast
mesand began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbock 360
I'd prefer it if I could sort the series and then the title.

To work around the lack of being able to do that I changed the titles of my books like PeterT suggested ({series:re(([^\s])[^\s]+(\s|$),\1)}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}) Thanks for that!

Sadly I only get the first letter of each word in the series. If the series have only got one word like eg Twilight I think, as my library grows, there will soon be another series starting with the same letter and the series will be mixed.
Is it possible to pick the first two or three letters? I added a 3 in different places of the code and got strange results...
mesand is offline   Reply With Quote