Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
antwarrior
antwarrior began at the beginning.

Device: none
Conversion to mobi problem

Hi there,

Sorry if this thread is already out there, but I haven't been able to find it. I have written a book using Apple Pages and exported it to .epub format with no problem. Opening this in the Kindle Previewer works ok except that there is no table of contents.
It opens brilliantly in Calibre but when and exports easily. When I open it in the Kindle Previewer the TOC is now there, but the text breaks at the end of every line. It leaves so many odd letters all over the place that it is virtually unreadable.

I have tried with the Kindlegen and and cannot even get it to launch let alone do anything else.

Help please.
antwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Well, the Kindle previewer is using kindlegen to convert the epub to mobi format, so kindlegen would appear to be working on your computer (a Mac, perhaps? you didn't say.) But as you have seen, kindlegen will not produce an inline TOC.

Calibre will generate an inline TOC. I don't know why you're having the line-break problems, though. With default settings, Calibre usually does a very good job converting epub to mobi. Did you change any conversion settings? Does the epub make heavy use of tables, or some other complicated formatting? Does Pages produce a standards-compliant epub, or is it more of an iBooks-compliant "epub"?

By the way, kindlegen is a command-line program and must be run from a terminal. If you're on a Mac, this may seem somewhat... exotic.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert