Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Motofone to have an e-ink Display?

I'll be upfront an say I'm not sure how accurate this news is. Over at Gearlog there's hands on info about Motorola's "new-age, cutting-edge low-cost fone." Sascha Segan writes, "The strangest thing about it is the e-ink display. It's a field of gray with numbers and characters that appear on it like digital-watch numbers, very sharply." - What I'm wondering is, is this an 'e-ink' display that we know an love, e.g. the same tech found in an iLiad and Librie etc?

Keep an eye on this link as more photo's will be available tomorrow.

Update: TadW has confirmed this is indeed an E Ink display. See the links he found from the official E Ink site: E Ink Partner Info, E Ink Motofone Press Release
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Nice find! Indeed, this is an E Ink display as we know it. Why? Because it's featured on E Ink's site under the press release section.

http://www.eink.com/press/partner_releases.html

TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor

Very cool. Let me update front page.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
No problem. Thanks for the credits.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:20 AM   #5
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor

Mobileburn has a hands-on with the e-ink Motofone.
Advert
Old 02-19-2007, 03:56 AM   #6
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Old topic, I know, but as this was one of the phones show-cased at 3GSM this year, hopefully that means it gets released here in the USA (or at least sold unlocked by Motorola).

Maybe I'm just being too much of e-ink fanatic here, but getting this phone would, for me, take care of 90% of my current phone needs (talking and texting). I do use a phone currently that is Bluetooth-capable and has a camera, but I don't use those that much. My phone is even internet-capable, but I sure has heck don't pay for that.

Better battery life is obviously a huge plus here, but unfortunately it seems like the CDMA version (F3c) has over a little of half the talk time than the GSM version. That fact alone would make me consider jumping over to a GSM carrier (currently with Sprint), if not at least to test on a pre-paid plan. To be frank, the UI seems overly stripped down than what I'm used to, but if it works well after a small learning curve, I'd be all for it.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:47 AM   #7
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Just seen the reference to the phone in jkontherun, and searched for the resolution of the screen.

The only mention of the resolution I have found is 34x43, at this site (in french):

http://www.meilleurmobile.com/mobile...rkMobileId=757

Here there are a lot of photos of the display of the phone:

http://www.geardiary.com/2007/02/24/...one-f3-review/

And my conclusions:
1. There are shadows (ghosting effect) left like the ones of the iliad and of the sony reader hinting the edges of where a number has been shown before (and it's not showed anymore): this makes me think that the display has a dpi comparable to the sony reader/iliad. And the ghosting could mean that is capable of various gray levels (as the edges of the numbers is what is causing most of the ghosting).
2. The phone seems to only address the screen as if it was an LCD with very few addressable "figures". But it's a simulation, as the asterisk "*" happens to cover in pure black the middle joints of the numbers (i.e. the central part of the "2" number).

In conclusion: nice screen but not usable for reading in it (because of the LCD simulation layer, that makes the screen not all-points-addressable) :-(.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote