Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
netrate
netrate began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g keyboard
Kindle and Overdrive - how to use? Opening windows issue

This may have been discussed before - and if it has, I hope there is an answer that will make me happy I bought the old Kindle 3G with keyboard for my father.

My father tried going to the library to download/take out some books, but (and you can see this coming), the library website opens new tabs or windows and therefore does not allow the kindle browser to use it. I can get to the first page of the website (and I have tried 2 different library systems with this, one in Canada and one with a friend in the USA), but when I go to e-content or e-download, I get the ubiquitous error of "Cannot Open Windows" or something like that.
Is there a way to accomplish this using the Kindle 3G with keyboard? Is there a workaround? Am I forced to return this item and get the Kindle Fire or Touch ( I think I am past the return period, grrrr).
Thanks in advance.
netrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
cicsos2
Enthusiast
cicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to beholdcicsos2 is a marvel to behold

Device: kindle Kbd, Fire(N2A), & 8.9
Try turning off javascript.
cicsos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by netrate View Post
This may have been discussed before - and if it has, I hope there is an answer that will make me happy I bought the old Kindle 3G with keyboard for my father.

My father tried going to the library to download/take out some books, but (and you can see this coming), the library website opens new tabs or windows and therefore does not allow the kindle browser to use it. I can get to the first page of the website (and I have tried 2 different library systems with this, one in Canada and one with a friend in the USA), but when I go to e-content or e-download, I get the ubiquitous error of "Cannot Open Windows" or something like that.
Is there a way to accomplish this using the Kindle 3G with keyboard? Is there a workaround? Am I forced to return this item and get the Kindle Fire or Touch ( I think I am past the return period, grrrr).
Thanks in advance.
I just read another forum what the poster above suggested.

Quote:
I can get the window from Amazon to open on my Kindle if I disable Javascript first. (Press menu and browser settings.) Once the window pops up and I click get for my Kindle, then I enable Javascript. Don't know if it's possible to do on a Touch.
The Kindle Fire will let you do this but it's a LCD Tablet. If you're looking for a EInk device that's let's you borrow straight from the library the Sony T1 has this feature without the work around.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-04-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Koko
thinking thing
Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.Koko is faster than slow light.

Device: xx
Try typing in the exact adress to the page you are trying to open on the kindle. You could convert the books he wants into a kindle friendly format, but that is't always legal.
Koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko View Post
Try typing in the exact adress to the page you are trying to open on the kindle. You could convert the books he wants into a kindle friendly format, but that is't always legal.
There's no need to convert the book because it's Kindle Format. when you check out a Kindle book there a link called Download for Kindle when you click on it, it opens in a new window and sends you to Amazon from there you select where you want to the book sent.

The problem is the Kindle 3 can't open a new window so you get stuck after checkout. I haven't tried the Javascript trick but I read it works. I may test it if I can find a book to checkout.
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Tested! Turning off Javascript works!

All you do is pick your book then checkout like normal.
After checkout when you get to the Get For Kindle page disable JavaScript
Menu\Browser Settings\Disable JavaScript
Then reload the page or you'll get an error.
Now Click Get For Kindle and it will take you to Amazon's page
From there you can get your book sent to your K3.
Remember to re enable Javascript after you are done.

It's alot of typing and navigating but it works.
I would not want to do this on the K4's keyboard.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-04-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by netrate View Post
(and I have tried 2 different library systems with this, one in Canada and one with a friend in the USA)

There's a library in Canada that allows Kindle lending?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I have been using my computer to check out books at the library and send them to my kindle (keyboard version) over wifi. I just find it easier to browse the books on my computer. I am guessing this is not an option for your father?
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
There's a library in Canada that allows Kindle lending?
USA only.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote