Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #106
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Don't everyone respond all at once! Heh.

Really, the main thing to be decided at the moment is about moving the timeline. Judging from previous earlier posts, it seems some are willing to give it a go.

So, here's the plan:

We move the timeline half a month over starting in January. Nominations will then start on the 6th of a month, and discussion will start on the 1st.

So the next few months will look like this:

November 22 - December nominations

-longer than normal reading period to move timeline-

January 1 - December discussion thread
January 6 - January nominations
February 1 - January discussion thread
February 6 - February nominations

And so on. In a way the timeline will still feel appropriate, since the actual reading will now take up most of one month to the end, and then we'll discuss that month's selection after the month is over.

We'll try it for six months, until we're at a year old, then decide which way we like better.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #107
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Since I am new and wasn't really involved with the old timeline, this one seems okay with me. As long as a can have it someplace where I can look at it (old age kills my memory) I can stick to it. So, will the key dates be the 1st and 6th of each month?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #108
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, jersysman, that's correct. Though the December nominations are on the old schedule and start very soon (the 22nd), so if you participate you will get to be involved in one month of the old timeline before it changes.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 AM   #109
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

Really, the main thing to be decided at the moment is about moving the timeline. Judging from previous earlier posts, it seems some are willing to give it a go.

So, here's the plan:

We move the timeline half a month over starting in January. Nominations will then start on the 6th of a month, and discussion will start on the 1st.

So the next few months will look like this:

November 22 - December nominations

-longer than normal reading period to move timeline-

January 1 - December discussion thread
January 6 - January nominations
February 1 - January discussion thread
February 6 - February nominations

And so on. In a way the timeline will still feel appropriate, since the actual reading will now take up most of one month to the end, and then we'll discuss that month's selection after the month is over.

We'll try it for six months, until we're at a year old, then decide which way we like better.
I did not have strong feelings before, but I do like this plan - and this may be give a push to the Regular club lurkers to dive in there, too.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #110
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

I would take that as a sign to leave things the way they are. I say leave the voting/reading dates where they are.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #111
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Sounds alright to me to make the offset from the regular book club. Anything that may encourage participation in the selection, reading, and discussion sounds good. December is a good month to have a longer reading period.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #112
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Obviously I'm on board with the change. Thanks, surfer. In addition to attracting more participants because the reading times are staggered, it should help keep the conversation in the subforum going. Right now things stagnate in the troughs between the nominating and discussion flurries.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #113
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Smile

The new arrangements sound fine.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #114
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would take that as a sign to leave things the way they are. I say leave the voting/reading dates where they are.
Duly noted, but it seems you may be a bit outnumbered. From what I can tell it seems more are for the change.

Personally, I like the current timeline, but the new one may work well.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #115
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I'm going to love having the discussion start on the first of the month. Easy to remember.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #116
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Duly noted, but it seems you may be a bit outnumbered. From what I can tell it seems more are for the change.

I really don't care. We have a month for nominations and reading; Unless we are going to extend/shorten the period, I don't see the difference.

We seem to have more discussions on procedures then we do on the actual books.

Actually, it may make a difference: I'm thinking of nominating Lolita, but need to wait for the other poll to finish first.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #117
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Sun Surfer, do you have a list of themes for the year? This year and next? If so would you be willing to post the list and ask if it can be stickied, please?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #118
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Sun Surfer, do you have a list of themes for the year? This year and next? If so would you be willing to post the list and ask if it can be stickied, please?
Sure.

Here's the list for now from earlier in the thread. Next June will mark the end of the cycle since we started these categories this July.

January: Poetry

February: Time Period (a time period will be chosen either at random or by poll and the nominations will come from that time period)

March: Lottery*

April: Obscure Works

May: Region (a region will be chosen either at random or by poll and the nominations will come from that region)

June: Short Stories

July: Highly Challenging Works (especially long or difficult works we may be hesitant to choose otherwise)

August: Lottery*

September: Non-Fiction

October: Plays

November: Lottery*

December: Open (anything considered literature)

*Lottery - Anyone who voted or nominated in all the months since the previous Lottery may nominate themselves. Of the nominees, one will be chosen at random, who will then choose the selection for that month.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #119
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Sorry. I didn't remember seeing the list earlier. Thank you for printing it again.

Based on that list: February, May, June and December interest me the most. I will try to make a point of being more active at those times.

Last edited by Nyssa; 11-27-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #120
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

No problem. I will start a new thread too, as you suggested. It would be good to have the categories and prior selections in one easy place.

Tags
book club, literary, literature