Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
artur
Enthusiast
artur is on a distinguished road

Device: (broken) iLiad 2, DR800S, Sony 505
where fbreader is placed?

After installation it should be under Programs, but nothing but Uninstall is there.

Can I simply invoke fbreader?

The only change I can see is that I can read .rtf files.
artur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you installed version 0.8.14, the only way to run FBReader is by selecting an ebook with one of the supported extensions. See Update Settings for FBReader 0.8.14 for how to customize it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
artur
Enthusiast

I have located it in /usr/bin/. There is FBReader and fbreader.sh. I was able to execute FBReader, but it disappeared after exiting the shell.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
artur
Enthusiast

There is also /mnt/settings/.FBReader directory. The file system.xml says it is 0.8.14 version. So it is I hope, I have installed two times, but none is under Programs.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 0.8.14 version is used like a standard iRex app, so it is designed to be invoked from the contentlister by selecting a filetype it is bound too in the registry.

The older 0.8.04 version can be added to the registry, but can also be invoked stand-alone from the Programs directory. This is the version that works like FBReader on other computers, with an internal library and book selection via a file navigation window. If you want to switch to version 0.8.04, first uninstall 0.8.14 - see FBReader uninstaller. If an uninstaller came with 0.8.14, then that should work instead of this one.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
artur
Enthusiast

It seems I have installed 0.8.4 and then 0.8.14, but none of them appeared in /mnt/free/Programs. I have copied fbreader.sh to /mnt/free/Programs and it reads the last .rtf documnet.

But the only thing I can do is to turn pages. I do not see any user interface/menu.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader

The user interface and menus are only available with 0.8.4. Uninstall 0.8.14 and reinstall 0.8.4. The 0.8.4 version definitely works from a CF card, and it is started by navigating to CF/Programs and selecting "FBReader standalone" (or something like that).
Old 07-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
artur
Enthusiast

I see I have installed 0.8.14 and next installing 0.8.4 has had no effect.
Now I am confused. Should I uninstall 0.8.14? Which one is better?
Which one works with more files?

Should I be able to do something more than turning pages ?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
artur
Enthusiast

Trying to rotate. Unsuccessful.
Trying to increase or decease fonts. Works for ages.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur View Post
I see I have installed 0.8.14 and next installing 0.8.4 has had no effect.
Now I am confused. Should I uninstall 0.8.14? Which one is better?
Which one works with more files?

Should I be able to do something more than turning pages?
The ipkg utility won't install an old version over a newer version, so you have to uninstall 0.8.14 before reinstalling 0.8.4.

The 0.8.14 version does not have menus etcetera. It is designed to read a single ebook, using contentlister to navigate to the desired ebook. The first post in Integrated FBReader 0.8.14 with ePub and Registry Support includes a list of what the keys do. Since there are no menus or icons, only actions bound to keys can be performed. Also, some operations only work with some filetypes (e.g. the TOC operations only work if you have a TOC that FBReader detects).

The 0.8.4 version includes menus and icons, and you can in addition rebind the keys to whatever "actions" you want. It does not have a working full screen mode, does not support ePub, and is slow to turn pages. If you rename .epub files to .oebzip they are often readable by 0.8.4. I use 0.8.4, because I am used to FBReader on other devices. The 0.8.14 version works similarly to MobiPocket Reader, except that you use key presses for all operations.

I have screenshots of 0.8.14 here and of 0.8.4 here.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
artur
Enthusiast

the last thing i did was uninstalling fbreader with the uninstall package,

and then ny iliad reboots infinitely,
i have only 2.10 now, a trial to upgrade end with constant rebooting
Old 07-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur View Post
the last thing i did was uninstalling fbreader with the uninstall package,
If the uninstall corrupted the registry.xml at /mnt/settings/registry/registry.xml then this might cause an infinite reboot I suppose. However, if you restored to 2.10 there should be no trace of the original problem left. You need to have a CF card present to restore to 2.10, but I suggest removing all external cards and fully charging the battery before upgrading to 2.12. If you are now at the constant rebooting stage, remove all external cards and try rebooting again. The only thing you should have left from the original problem is the CF card's contents and the user accessible internal memory contents.

The only time I ever experienced boot problems it was caused by new fonts, which is why I always put new fonts on an external card.