Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
aroidgrower
aroidgrower began at the beginning.

Device: nook ipad
just bought a nook

Big mistake?

it still sits in its unopened box.

Should I return it and buy another reader?
aroidgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Disclaimer: I own a Nook, and am very happy with it.
As has been discussed elsewhere on this site, there is a certain time period in which you may “test drive” your Nook, and return with impunity. Obviously, it isn't capable of doing all your iPad can do, but it's a good little reader.

By the way, Why did you purchase the Nook, when you iPad is by all accounts a fine reader?

Last edited by Poppa1956; 07-17-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Would it not have been better to ask such a question before buying it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
aroidgrower

My wife insisted I get her a nook, so I bought it for her.

I listed ipad as a device because when registering for this forum the question was readers you have or wish to purchase.

I tried to talk my wife into an ipad but she insisted on a nook instead. I would have chosen an ipad because of its features and the possibility of unlocking it to increase its functionality.

The first thing I did was jailbreak my iphone as soon as it was fully charged.

I wasn't aware that a nook could be returned that easily after using it for a while. Is that a standard return policy covering all murchandise or a specific return option for the nook only?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
aroidgrower

P.S. - I doubt very much that my wife would return the nook if she was unhappy with some of its features, she is not one to return many things.
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroidgrower View Post
Then perhaps you should give it to her and see if she likes it? Crazy, I know, but it's something you might want to consider.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I second PhishStyx's suggestion, ridiculous as it sounds.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
The Nook is a very capable unit. Does your wife know you've posted this thread - indicating that you might have a little buyer's remorse?

Heck - I'd get behind it (and my wife) and open an account at the B&N Online Store and hand her a $50 gift certificate for book purchases and GET USING IT NOW!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Big mistake?

Its kind of like asking people what your favorite food is. The nook is a very solid device. Some people love it some people dont, only you can answer that question. It certainly is a widely accepted and capable reader
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
just bought a nook

Quote:
Big mistake?

Quote:
Umm. I think that you've got your answer. Returning it would be the mistake no matter what.

Put a rose and a gift card on top of it. Smile.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:48 PM   #11
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Just give it to her. I am pretty sure she will love it. My hubby also got me a Nook (which I requested) and it's one of his better presents ever. :-)
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Big mistake?

Heeeeeckkkkkk NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO> The Nook is solid. I love it.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
aroidgrower

Thank you to everyone for the advice.

I did give it to my wife and she is charging it now. I am sure that she will value it and use it a lot. I may have judged this "nook" by its cover so to speak!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Would it not have been better to ask such a question before buying it?
One thinks so!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
You have 15 days to test it out - if you don't like it, you can return it to B&N for a full refund. I had actually asked that question before I did my test drive, last month.

I did return mine, as I did not fit my needs. But, everyone is different of course.

EDIT: Did you get it in the Oxford Valley, PA store? If so, you might have my return, reboxed. :-)
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote