Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Archos 9 Video Coverage and Pictures

I spent a good portion of my day watching the video coverage from Chippy at UMPCPortal and Carrypad on the Archos 9. The device is essentially a netbook without a keyboard. It has a great form factor, except the stand on the back seems like it would break easily. For anyone interested in the device, there is a lot to learn from today's video. Also, this video cast is every Friday for those of you that want to catch the live version. I'm always there and we can chat, so come on by.

Video Demo:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/3228367

Video Unboxing:
http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/12/ar...verview-video/

Here are some screenshots:
http://umpcportal.com/gallery/v/arch...chos9carrypad/

I'm still working on the SmartV7 review. It will likely be sometime next week when it goes up.

Last edited by ColdSun; 12-23-2009 at 05:41 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
JussaReader
JussaReader began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks for the link Cold Sun, i coldn't find it. lol
JussaReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I've been interested in this ever since it was announced, but then with the delay in availability, plus the fifty dollar price increase - I ended up finding a screaming deal on a netbook and just went with that. That killed my new technology budget for this year, so I guess now I'll wait and see what next year brings. I'm hoping MS actually releases something close to a Courier, or that some other companies will take a cue from Archos and release devices with similar specs.
I really want a tablet device running Windows, though, and everyone seems to be moving toward Android. Not that there's anything wrong with Android (or Linux, or any other OS), it's just that there is reading software for every format out there for Windows that "just works".
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
@phenomshel - it might warm your heart to know that next year there are a few atom-based tablets being released. I doubt these will all be Android devices, and you should have a selection to choose from.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
I want a Archos 9 so bad... Most likely won't get one however. I wish could blame it on the $50.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
I took delivery of my Archos 9 on Tuesday. So far my reactions to it are a little mixed. It works fine for reading on when you turn the back light down and put it in portrait mode, and battery life is about 4.5 hours with it set to power saver mode.
Video seems to be a complete waste of time on the device as it is incredibly slow and jerky.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
thebigalphamale
thebigalphamale began at the beginning.

Device: u820, asus t91, eee pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I spent a good portion of my day watching the video coverage from Chippy at UMPCPortal and Carrypad on the Archos 9. The device is essentially a netbook without a keyboard. It has a great form factor, except the stand on the back seems like it would break easily. For anyone interested in the device, there is a lot to learn from today's video. Also, this video cast is every Friday for those of you that want to catch the live version. I'm always there and we can chat, so come on by.

Video Demo:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/3228367

Video Unboxing:
http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/12/ar...verview-video/

Here are some screenshots:
http://umpcportal.com/gallery/v/arch...chos9carrypad/

I'm still working on the SmartV7 review. It will likely be sometime next week when it goes up.
wow...that was about 1.5 hours of review time... long view..just fyi on those videos... but well worth it if you really were considering the archos 9..

i really had high hopes for the archos 9, but after all the videos and reviews ive seen... man did they cut corners.... the 1.33 atom 510 with cheap chipset, non hyperthreading and such...pretty disappointed...esp coming from a "media" producing company... i would loved for them to have a HIGH END version Archos 9 Premium for example... with no corner cutting
get the top of the line atom, extended battery, 2gb ram, no SSD as that would cost way too much, but maybe add a decent harddrive with shock protection...etc...yeah it would cost a little more, but well worth the upgrades

maybe XP tablet would have been better than windows starter from the videos for the archos 9... esp with that slow processor and low amount of RAM

they didnt show any pdfs or other reader (the kindle reader was the only thing shown i think)... would like to have seen some of that just to see this as a ebook reader...

the lack of sd card slot, the lack of dedicated buttons for changing view mode etc, cheap stand that will def break and or cause damage to the archos 9 from moving etc..., the slowest processor, the lack of RAM,....it looks like im back at the drawing board and crossing a line through my desire to have an archos 9.... looks like the viliv kills it by the looks of it...
thebigalphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #8
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

I have installed Windows 7 ultra on the Archos 9 and it is working just fine. It is playing AVI video fine. Hand writing recognition feature is working well. As yet I have not read and PDF files on the device, but it is working well with Kindle, Mobipocket, Microsoft reader and Adobe Digital Editions.
The device has had a fair hammering today and the battery has lasted well.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
I have installed Windows 7 ultra on the Archos 9 and it is working just fine. It is playing AVI video fine. Hand writing recognition feature is working well. As yet I have not read and PDF files on the device, but it is working well with Kindle, Mobipocket, Microsoft reader and Adobe Digital Editions.
The device has had a fair hammering today and the battery has lasted well.
What video player are you using?
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
sianon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
What video player are you using?
Using the windows media player for AVI and this is working well.
For Itunes Video using the Apple player (can't remember what it is called) but Itunes videos are not running at all well on the Archos very slow frame rate resulting in very jerky video.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Video seems to be a complete waste of time on the device as it is incredibly slow and jerky.
You can only get Intels video decoding hardware acceleration in windows media player. For now, VLC, quicktime, media player classic all those should not be used because Intel does not provide hardware acceleration for those. Archos 9 can play up to 1080p video and with HDMI output.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #12
sianon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
You can only get Intels video decoding hardware acceleration in windows media player. For now, VLC, quicktime, media player classic all those should not be used because Intel does not provide hardware acceleration for those. Archos 9 can play up to 1080p video and with HDMI output.
so for now I nshould look for software to convert my Itunes video library, any sugestions for reliable software for the task.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
so for now I nshould look for software to convert my Itunes video library, any sugestions for reliable software for the task.
Nah, unless evil Apple puts some DRM on those video files, just create a shortcut on your desktop to C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes or wherever itunes saves your video files, I am pretty sure Windows Media Player 12 can play those same itunes file formats. Probably all those videos are just H264 with AAC audio in the .mp4 container.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote