Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
Books losing their formatting...

I upgraded the library to version 3.1. I then transfered a new book to my reader. Now all my books seem to have lost their formatting. Each time I open one for the first time or change the font size, the system has to "format" the book. The reader displays a "formatting" animation and I have to wait several seconds to over a minute (depending on the book size) before the reader can display the book. This is the second time it happened to me. Anyone know why this happen and how I can avoid it?
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've found that normally happens the first time you change font size in a book but, after that first time, it just switches fonts without the delay.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Avoiding that formatting delay was a primary reason to use the Sony software when loading LRF/LRX books - that'll be a bit strange if it's a general thing...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
I also noticed the same problem as Shiren after upgrading Reader Library program. Even worse, every time I connect and disconnect my reader with a computer, all the books seem to lose formatting all over again.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm also seeing something similar. At first I thought it was because my 505 was crashing, but I now think it happens everytime I download a book. I'm mainly using LRF.

I definite step in the wrong direction for the software. It was a big plus having the library software pre-format the book.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
It's driving me nuts on my 505. Not only did it do it the first time after the upgrade, everytime I add new books I have to reformat the one I'm reading all three times for the different font sizes. They need to fix this!! I can deal with once, but don't make me do it all over again every time I add a new book.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that Sony seems to have removed pre-pagination for LRF/LRX in Reader Library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
can it be that the books are forced to convert from lrf to epub???
that would be possible, since sony is changing the store from lrf to epub.

maybe lrf is no longer suported in the new readers to come?
one store - one format

keep reading
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry001 View Post
can it be that the books are forced to convert from lrf to epub???
that would be possible, since sony is changing the store from lrf to epub.

Nope. They are still lrf files on the device. There was no firmware upgrade for the 505, so I'm assuming no conversion on the device is possible.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
the first poster upgraded to the library 3.1 - thats the new soft for dealing with epub (i think)

if they try to convert the files on the device while beeing connected with the store would make sense to me.
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure if what they had in BBeb was converted or not. But new books from here on will be true ePub from the go without a conversion from BBeB.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
My guess the reason they got rid of the pre-pagination is because ePub files do not need it. Sony probably is not to worried about all the LRF files that users have put on their devices.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

To be honest, when I do convert to ePub and have really not much need for LRF pre-pagination these days. But I do have some LRF on my 505 which once read will be the last LRF I'll be putting on most likely. Unless of course I get some LRF from the forum here.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry001 View Post
the first poster upgraded to the library 3.1 - thats the new soft for dealing with epub (i think)

if they try to convert the files on the device while beeing connected with the store would make sense to me.
I don't believe there is any "conversion" process going on. A user can download (from the Sony store) an epub for an LRX they previously brought, but there is no conversion from epub -> LRF.

I still prefer LRF. I like the full justification.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Ok, this has happened to me, occasionally.

Follow these steps:

1) Connect your 505 to your computer and copy everything to your HD. This is only for protection.

2) Disconnect.

3) Open the Reader Library program and turn Sync on, if you do not normally use it.

4) NOW: Your Reader Library, I am assuming, shows all the books that would normally be on your 505, with your categories, etc. (Remember, you went to a lot of trouble creating YOUR categories and putting books into those categories.)

5.) Good. Now connect your 505 to your computer. Everything will be re-synced back to your 505.

NOTE: The above is for lrf/lrx files. I don't use epub because I think it all too often looks horrible - really horrible - so I have NO IDEA if the method above works for that format. Your opinion - or the opinion of someone else reading this method - may differ. That's "jim-dandy," as we say in the South.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-18-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote