Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #61
ChaosInc
Enthusiast
ChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: iPaq 3800 series
I just looked through the FAQ in Stanza Desktop, here is what it said:

Help! Stanza Desktop isn't displaying my graphics/tables/bullet lists/etc.
That is by design. Stanza Desktop removes nearly all of the formatting of the text that it reads. This is in order to maximize the flexibility of the user interface, as well as maximize the number of formats we can support. As mentioned above, this makes Stanza Desktop unsuitable for content where graphics or formatting is an intrinsic part of the reading experience. Stanza iPhone / iPod Touch, on the other hand, supports images as long as the ePub / eReader document includes inline images.

I'm thinking it maybe it removed more than that before I uploaded it to you Starrigger. I did test in in Desktop first, if it removed the formatting, would it then remove the formatting for the book, since I uploaded that file? Mmm, have to check this out...

Will keep looking for the answer.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #62
ChaosInc
Enthusiast
ChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the end

I think I found the answer, and I also think I can fix it... maybe.

Here is what the FAQ said:

My self-made ePub file passes the validity checker, but the table of contents doesn't work when I open it in Stanza iPhone.
Does your TOC look like this?
<item id="ncx" href="toc.ncx" media-type="text/xml"/>

If so, the "media-type" is incorrect. It should read:
<item id="ncx" href="toc.ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/>

The fact that epubcheck doesn't validate this requirement in the spec is a bug in epubcheck itself:

I will try this and get you the new file to test.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #63
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
///Mokin' fokin' A!/// *Thanks, starrigger!* /You're crazy!/

I loved Neptune Crossing, loved Strange Attractors, loving Infinite Sea - can't wait to start Eternity's End!
Great! (Just checking in after a long weekend.) You're probably right about the crazy part.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #64
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
The fact that epubcheck doesn't validate this requirement in the spec is a bug in epubcheck itself:
I'm not even sure what epubcheck is, but I guess you know. If you were asking before whether the Stanza reader somehow altered the file, I don't think that's a concern.

I'm trying to remember now whether I made any last-minute tweaks and ran it through Calibre again before uploading. I don't think so, but it's possible I did.

It's not that huge a deal, though of course one wants everything to be right.

It displays fine in Stanza on small devices (or at least the one I tested), except for the inline TOC not working. Since the menu-driven (meta) TOC works, I'm not too worried.

As for Stanza desktop butchering the formatting, it sounds as if it's designed to do that. Interesting philosophy. I suspect not too many people read books in desktop Stanza anyway.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #65
ChaosInc
Enthusiast

You are probably right about that. It seems that this desktop version they have currently is free only due to the amount of bugs they have in it. The codings between their version of eBook maker and Calibre will not able to see each other and i really got nothing for my troubles.

However, when I checked the extracted files, the TOC within the book worked perfectly, so it has to be the deasktop reader or something that will not see it.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #66
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
A bit off-topic, but I wanted to say that I liked Neptune Crossing, loved Strange Attractors, and am enjoying The Infinite Sea...

Thanks, Jeffrey !
Old 05-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #67
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
A bit off-topic, but I wanted to say that I liked Neptune Crossing, loved Strange Attractors, and am enjoying The Infinite Sea...
Glad to hear it!
Closed Thread